Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mafia 63: Killer's method outrages shy board's crew. (5,2,9)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mafia 63: Killer's method outrages shy board's crew. (5,2,9)

A Funny thing happened on the way to the Forum, Stephen Sondheim, was contacted and asked if he would organize the Apolyton Crossword Championship Convention. He readily agreed:

’I like to be in Apolyton! Okay by me in Apolyton! Everything free in Apolyton For a
    small fee in Apolyton’

Stephen outlined how the championship worked and the convention schedule.

Briefly, solvers tackle original crosswords created and edited specially for the event. Scoring is based on accuracy and speed. The lowest scoring contestant drops out after each day’s competition, until the grand final

Day 1:The programme was 7.00pm Limber up your brain — and meet the contestants and judges — in an evening of games and entertainments. Special event: "Time Capsule" - light hearted puzzle games. 10.00pm. Wine and cheese reception.

Day 2: Tournament sign-in 11:00pm Puzzles, 7:00pm Special screening: "'Repartee' (8) Outtakes.

Days 3 etc to be advised.

So there was Stephen glad handling the arrivals: Noel Jessop, Australia's most prolific crossword setter, had just flown in from Sydney. ‘Greetings from Oz , ‘ said Noel, sounding flighty (4). ‘We spell it Crozword btw’.

‘You’re the first Noel’, said Stephen ’You are very welcome’.

On the same flight with Noel was David Stickley, one of the leading lights of the Australian crozworld fraternity. ‘Greetings, who r u’ said David confused (3,3,3,)
    ‘When you're a Jet, You're a Jet all the way’ Stephen answered and guided both to reception.

Next to arrive was Berit Veiset. ‘God Monger people verbally abuse me in Norway’ said Berit introducing himself. (3,6) and then went to his room.

‘May I introduce myself’ said Manny Nosowsky , jokingly with a polished smile (2,4) and he did. ‘Do you know we have 32 letters in our alphabet.

‘Seven of them have two or more variations’ piped up Timothy Parker ‘ and I should know, I am "World's Most Syndicated Puzzle Compiler. ‘Greetings’ he called from high on the stairs.(2)

Don’t forget, said Stephen, there is no real competition tonight. ‘Tonight, tonight
    Won't be just any night, Tonight there will be no morning star’.

Just then A.N Prahlada Rao arrived and brought together both palms of his hands, and lightly bowed his head. ‘It’s meant as a greeting from India’, he said.(7).

‘Hello’, said Mark Kelmanson, ‘is almost a palindrome in Denmark’ (6). ‘Ok Ok just Monkeying around’.

Just then Ellen Ripstein appeared. ‘Peace’ she said, with an aura of majesty, in her element not unlike a Samaritan (6).

Craig Kasper arrived at the same time as Ellen. ‘How are you, I am just back from a vacation in France’ (2,2). ‘I am so looking forward to the convention’ and swept upstairs.

One of two English competitors was John Graham ‘Greetings’ he said ‘Its doing God’ work ( 4, 7). That’s why I am here. I like long anagrams. ‘You do why? ’said Fred Piscop, awkwardly (5) as he joined him at reception.

At the desk they were greeted byJon Delfin a big convention winner seven times over. ‘ How do you do it’ they asked ‘It isn’t that odd’ he replied (3,2,3,2).

Trip Payne was a bit tired. ‘Fifth Floor’ he said by way of welcome, as he headed to the elevator (4,4).

‘At least the snow’s gone’ he added ‘ Yeah thawing happens’ acknowledged Merle Reagle strangely, (5,9) leaving the elevator lobby to meet up with up fellow competitor Will Shortz

There was no bigger man in the world of American Crosswords than Will Shortz. ‘Yeah Icy rain’ sang out Will (4).

Stephen Sondheim met them and sang
    ‘ Mafia, I've just met a person named Mafia,
    and suddenly the name will never be the same to me.
    Mafia! ‘

‘Surely you mean Maria’ said Will Shortz. No said Stephen ‘ that’s another story’, as he went to check arrangements for the evening.
    On the ISDG 2012 team at the heart of CiviLIZation

Code:
    code:
    mafia
    Last edited by Hercules; April 12, 2007, 06:20.

Comment

Is Will9 Will Shortz?

edit: x-post
      THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
      AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
      AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
      DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Great start...

Now only if we had a word sleuth amongst us we could solve all those hidden clues.

I am guessing Wills greating of
        Yeah Icy rain’ sang out Will (4).
        is Hail

Anyothers ?? I too lazy t ocheck them all.
        GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

Am I a woman or man? I'm Berit in the text and Bert in the list.
          Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
          I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
          Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

That means you must be teh mafia
            THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai
              Am I a woman or man? I'm Berit in the text and Bert in the list.
              I have just completed the change operation. You're a girl.
              Last edited by Hercules; March 13, 2007, 07:28.

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputin
                Great start...

Now only if we had a word sleuth amongst us we could solve all those hidden clues.

I am guessing Wills greating of
                Yeah Icy rain’ sang out Will (4).
                is Hail

Anyothers ?? I too lazy t ocheck them all.

Yep you've got the idea.

Comment

Namaste, Up, God dag, etc.

Comment

Woot! I got Araucaria/Cinephile.

Good tidings to you too Mr Sondheim.

Comment

Originally posted by Hercules

I have just completed the change operation. Your a girl.
                      Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                      I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                      Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Re: Mafia 63: Killer's method outrages shy board's crew. (5,2,9)

"shy board's crew."

I love the use of "dot" in the anagram.

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
                          Namaste, Up, God dag, etc.

Up God Dag ??? etc ???

Comment

Re: Re: Mafia 63: Killer's method outrages shy board's crew. (5,2,9)

Originally posted by duke o' york
                            "shy board's crew."

I love the use of "dot" in the anagram.
                            Yes i missed that

Death by Crossword

Very Clever

Comment

Adagio Mark Kelmanson Evil.

Poor Badger !!!!

Comment

• Working...
                                X
                                Name Competitor Status
                                1. Adagio Mark Kelmanson Evil.
                                2. Duke O’York John G Graham Vile
                                3. Heresson Manny Nosowsky Vlie
                                4. Jonny Jon Delpin Levi
                                5. Kuciwalker Merle Reagle Live
                                6. Leirosa Ellen Ripstein Elvi
                                7. LordShiva A.N Prahlada Rao Veil
                                8. Nikolai Berit Veiset Liev