No announcement yet.

The Wii is so overrated it's not even funny

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's not as accurate as a mouse, despite what people here have said, but it's close enough to be good for the same things. A hardcore PC FPSer would probably still prefer the mouse, but this is a console.

Comment

There's no need to berate Asher for his views everyone. After all, advanced pieces of technology like the wii are not suitable for everyone.

Comment

The Wii is pretty good for spastics, retards and old people, but for gamers it should be nothing but a flash in the pan.
        Voluntary Human Extinction Movement http://www.vhemt.org/

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker

I refuse to believe you don't understand this technology, you're too technicaly proficient.
          Technological proficiency is no substitute for a broader ability to reason. Perhaps if he's studied political philosophy, Im thinking Hobbes, Locke, Mill....
          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by ZargonX
            Asher, the Wii-mote can be used in "pointer" mode or in "lightgun" mode. I think all of the games so far work in pointer mode, but from what I understand, the potential to use it as a laser-accurate device, like you say, exists. It's up the game devs as to how they want to use it.
            The potential does not exist for laser-accurate device. The sensor bar is a big hint as to why.

But, seriously, even in pointer mode it's incredibly accurate, just like a mouse.
            It's way off on a sufficiently large display.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark
              Technological proficiency is no substitute for a broader ability to reason. Perhaps if he's studied political philosophy, Im thinking Hobbes, Locke, Mill....
              We studied them back in about 10th grade. That's how advanced they are.
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                It is very accurate. It's not just a gyroscope (that's just used to calculate the angle, and can do so quite accurately); it combines the angle data with data from the IR camera on the front of the remote. When you locate the big bright spots (the sensor bar) and combine that with the angle you can pretty precisely tell where it's pointing and how far away it is, though the cursor will be offset by some calibration factor. Since you don't generally sight down the remote when playing (or even look at it), it doesn't matter that the cursor isn't exactly where you're pointing the remote.
                Considering it's quite significantly off on both my 42" display and the SO's 37" display back home, I don't buy this.

The remote seems to be calibrated for a 20" TV and there's no way at all to change this. I've triple checked.

It has to do with the width of the sensor bar.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

We studied them back in about 10th grade. That's how advanced they are.
                  That shows they wrote in clear language, comprehensible to a 10th grader. Are you saying a complex technical vocab requiring study of prior works is necessary for a work to be advanced?
                  "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Even their concepts were simplistic, not just their writing. They are uncomplicated to study.

Comment

So bitter that they beat the crap out of xbox in sales numbers, Asher?

Either way, consoles are ****e. All of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Ralph
                        So bitter that they beat the crap out of xbox in sales numbers, Asher?
                        No, why would I be?

It's not surprising at all in any case, given the Wii's target market and low pricepoint.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Ralph
                          Either way, consoles are ****e. All of them.
                          Yep, even the best console is no substitute for a good PC
                          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

Considering it's quite significantly off on both my 42" display and the SO's 37" display back home, I don't buy this.

The remote seems to be calibrated for a 20" TV and there's no way at all to change this. I've triple checked.

It has to do with the width of the sensor bar.
                            It works fine on our 42" at home

Comment

"according to Bloomberg:

Quote:
                              Nintendo Co.'s Wii outsold Sony Corp.'s PlayStation 3 and Microsoft Corp.'s Xbox 360 during January as consumers bought 436,000 of the video-game consoles.

Microsoft Corp.'s Xbox 360 was the second-most purchased machine with sales of 294,000, followed by PlayStation 3 with 244,000, Credit Suisse analyst Heath Terry said today in a report, citing NPD Group Inc. data "

Note that Wii was still availibility constrained in January. Also note these are US numbers only - presumably Wii would look even better worldwide, which would include Japan.

Comment

"

It's not surprising at all in any case, given the Wii's target market and low pricepoint.

"

" "" " """ ""

Comment

Working...
                                X