Any good free online games?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any good free online games?

Looking for recommendations on good, free online games that play from the browser (probably AJAX). For instance, any leads on RPGs?

Looking for play time of several hours.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Tell them Jon Miller sent you
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Feel free to ignore Assher, the rest of us do.

I currently play four free online games regularly:

Ogame: http://www.ogame.org (see my sig, only the eventis alliance is functional however in Universe 19 if you sign up).
      It's a Space game where you start out with a planet with limited amount of metal and crystal (the primary minerals in the universe) and build up to a maximum of 9 planets with increasing research and infrastructure allowing you to build better defenses and ships. Either protecting your empire or taking on others.

Imperium Nova: http://www.imperiumnova.com which is also a space game, but more about building your empire and gaining influence in the galaxy through non-military means (though military/warfare is possible). This game is still beta level and has less then 100 players currently, most of whom are quite active.

Second-Home www.second-home.org
      Based in the renaissance, you play either a cleric, merchant or seigneur and expand your territory, recruiting both workers and soldiers, in a race to become the most powerful. This game cannot be won alone. (Though I don't yet know how it is "won" I have read that you need to ally with at least the other two character types in order to complete the game).

Battle Knight http://www.battleknight.co.uk
      You start out as a level one ?Squire? (can't remember the term, it was a while ago) and progress your character upwards by going on missions or fighting battles with other players gaining in levels and increasing your skills. Your character will progress from a squire to a Donzel, then to a Knight, to a Baron and to an Earl. The game is still being developed.

I listd the four in order of preference for me. I have played Ogame for about a year and a half now, and the others just in the last 6 months. THey all vary in terms of time commitment, but you can generally choose how involved to get in them based on your preferences.

Hope this helps someone I have tried a couple others, but these are the ones I have stuck with.

/me
      "Clearly I'm missing the thread some of where the NFL actually is." - Ben Kenobi on his NFL knowledge

Comment

http://www.ogame.org

is terribly addictive. It is best to get in at the start of a new Universe. However at that stage there are also a lot of DLs around who use that illegal feature to build up their prime planets. Eventually they generally get detected but after they have done you damage. Still.

I might start again but I remember leaving meetings and making appointments to suit timings in ogame.
        On the ISDG 2012 team at the heart of CiviLIZation

Comment

Originally posted by Hercules
          ... I remember leaving meetings and making appointments to suit timings in ogame.
          So did I, which is why I had to give up Ocrack.
          I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

No way am i starting that then, i remember the trouble i had with imperial conflict

"ur up early ?"
            "er yeah ...." awake all night getting those buildings started every hour lol
            Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.

Comment

Teh Ogame is not addictive!!!!

Excuse me for not typing more, I have to go and send out more scans
              We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

Dan, try ImperiumNova. It's got a good base in economics. Poly's got a good number of players there, plus the games in beta, meaning we can help design it. Cash is King baby.

Comment

ImperiumNova's a bit quirky, but its got a lot of potential. Good fun.
                  Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Thanks for the recommends.

Appreciate it.
                    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by Hercules
                      http://www.ogame.org

I might start again but I remember leaving meetings and making appointments to suit timings in ogame.
                      Reminds me of War of Galaxy, which is similar to OGame.
                      You had to plan your life according to the timing of battles, too.
                      Even Reinforcements you send to come in time before an invading fleet wouldn´t take part in the battle if you hadn´t logged in between their arrival and the arrival of the enemy fleet.

Therefore after I played it for maybe half a year I used the next reset of the universe to quit playing the game.
                      Games who force you to be Online at certain times are the hell (especially if you have a large empire with several planets and enemies invade several planets at once (with ETAs of their fleets during the night) so that ypu have to get up several times during the night to log in shortly before their fleets arrive.

Real Life is too important to let it get dictated by a game

If you want a game where not experience in game counts, but your own knowledge and skills, enter Second Life
                      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

MythicWars + Norron - http://www.mythicwars.com/

Comment

Anybody know any games of those sort where you can have a restricted area ? I'm sure ive seen games where you can have an invite only region so that friends can play without the hassle of being slaughtered by large alliances in the main game (Granted at times you have to pay for the option).
                          Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazerus
                            Anybody know any games of those sort where you can have a restricted area ? I'm sure ive seen games where you can have an invite only region so that friends can play without the hassle of being slaughtered by large alliances in the main game (Granted at times you have to pay for the option).

I remember back in the day, when you could connect to servers run out of someone's home that hosted similiar games (MUDs and other strategy/building games) on a small scale.
                            Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Originally posted by Sparrowhawk
                              I have tried a couple others, but these are the ones I have stuck with.
                              Mythic Wars is among those I have tried and actually thought about playing again before realizing I REALLY didn't like this game

/me
                              "Clearly I'm missing the thread some of where the NFL actually is." - Ben Kenobi on his NFL knowledge

Comment

Working...
                              X