X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fred stolen: the grand list of console RPG clichés

link

Zelda's Axiom:
    Whenever somebody tells you about "the five ancient talismans" or "the nine legendary crystals" or whatever, you can be quite confident that Saving the World will require you to go out and find every last one of them.

George W. Bush Geography Simplification Initiative
    Every country in the world will have exactly one town in it, except for the country you start out in, which will have three.
    I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
    [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Oh noes! Tehy analyzed NWN2!

Comment

Garrett's Principle
      Let's not mince words: you're a thief. You can walk into just about anybody's house like the door wasn't even locked. You just barge right in and start looking for stuff. Anything you can find that's not nailed down is yours to keep. You will often walk into perfect strangers' houses, lift their precious artifacts, and then chat with them like you were old neighbors as you head back out with their family heirlooms under your arm. Unfortunately, this never works in stores.
      This is sooo true
      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Too many to read them all, but anyways I feel lucky not playing console RPGs
        "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
        "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

Nostradamus Rule
          All legends are 100% accurate. All rumors are entirely factual. All prophecies will come true, and not just someday but almost immediately.

Maginot Line Rule
          It is easy to tell which city/nation is the next conquest of the Evil Empire: its streets are filled with citizens who brag that the Empire would never dare attack them, and would be easily defeated if it tried. (This smug nationalism always fails to take into account the Empire's new superweapon.)

“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Very good.

Comment

Re: fred stolen: the grand list of console RPG clichés

Originally posted by self biased
              link

Zelda's Axiom:
              Whenever somebody tells you about "the five ancient talismans" or "the nine legendary crystals" or whatever, you can be quite confident that Saving the World will require you to go out and find every last one of them.

George W. Bush Geography Simplification Initiative
              Every country in the world will have exactly one town in it, except for the country you start out in, which will have three.
              ZELDA IS NOT AN RPG

Comment

I'm not sure which were influenced more by Crono Trigger, this list or cRPG's themselves.

Comment

Re: fred stolen: the grand list of console RPG clichés

Originally posted by self biased
                  link

Zelda's Axiom:
                  Mmmm, the thought of that makes me so excited to play the new Zelda game. Not.
                  Voluntary Human Extinction Movement http://www.vhemt.org/

Comment

Heh. A depressing number of those things are applicable to PC RPGs as well.
                    "It's great to be known, but it's even better to be known as strange." --Takeshi Kaga

Comment

Originally posted by Proteus_MST

This is sooo true
                      Sadly, it's true of PC RPGs as well.

Heck, even if your character is a goody two shoes Jedi knight, you still wander around stealing everything that isn't nailed down.
                      "It's great to be known, but it's even better to be known as strange." --Takeshi Kaga

Comment

I think in the apartments in KOTOR they say something about you taking there stuff. But they won't do anything about it.

Comment

Well no one wants a lightsabre in the face.

Comment

Originally posted by Underseer
                            Heh. A depressing number of those things are applicable to PC RPGs as well.
                            Duh?

Comment

KOTOR made item management a nightmare. I remember vast lists of similar looking junk in various subsections. One time I needed an item I had picked up, but I couldn't find it in my inventory!

Then again, I have an obsession to collect every piece of garbage I find. I blame the early point and click games, which would often punish you severely for not having a crucial item.
                              Voluntary Human Extinction Movement http://www.vhemt.org/

Comment

Working...
                              X