PC snob checks out Xbox 360

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DrSpike
    Perhaps you are right. As we all know the PS3 will blow the wimpy X-Box away, so it could have gone in that direction.
    The price tag certainly does..
    While there might be a physics engine that applies to the jugs, I doubt that an entire engine was written specifically for the funbags. - Cyclotron - debating the pressing issue of boobies in games.

Comment

Originally posted by vovan
      LotM,

However, I have to say that the 360 excels at different kinds of games than the PC. Anything action with relatively simple controls goes to the 360, anything with more complex controls goes to the PC. To go to your bfme example, I haven't actually played it on either platform, but if I were to consider buying it, I'd probably go with the PC. I just can't see RTS controls working well with the joypad. Also, form what I've seen of the reviews, I think my suspicion is confirmed more or less.

OTOH, I believe sports games work much much better on the console. I have been a big fan of EA's NHL series on the PC, but got the 360 version this year, and I have to say it is much more enjoyable with the controller.

Also, I had bought NFS: Most Wanted for the PC last year, and this year, my roommate got it for the 360, so I played both versions, and I also prefer the 360 one, since it runs better, and I like the stick controls better than the keyboard.

With shooters it's a bit harder. I love and hate the controller. It is good for everything... except the most important bit - aiming. So I don't know.

But any way, my answer to your question: "Am I missing something?" Probably not, if bfme and other strategies (are there any?) are all you are intrested in from what the 360 can offer, however, yes, if you might be interested in other games, such as sports, racing, and action.

My 0.02 MS points

Vovan
      Well stated and I wholeheartedly agree with your assessments regarding controls of PC vs. Consoles.

Aiming is harder on a console wrt to shooters!
      signature not visible until patch comes out.

Comment

Vovan... had you tried playing NHL games with a PC gamepad? I think a lot of the times the difference between playability of sports and similar titles is small if you have a gamepad, and most of the difference is that PC gamers aren't used to a console style menu system - eg Oblivion - so when a game is a console port, they complain about the interface even when it's identical to the console (because of that fact) and the console interface is what a console player expects.
        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

snoopy, good point. I suppose the main thrust of my argument was the controller (mostly because I thought the other differences were pretty well addressed already), and you bring up something very valid - why not have a controller for the PC?

Well, I don't really have anything to say here. To answer your question - yes, I actually bought a PS-style controller with NHL 06 last year (see attached pic for a comparison of my PC and 360 controllers). However, I can't really comment, as I am unduly biased here: I made the mistake of buying like the cheapest controller I could find, and paid for the error by the thing not working very well, and actually making my left hand hurt. But of course, that's a fault of the controller, and not a difference in the games, so yeah...
          Attached Files
          XBox Live: VovanSim
          xbox.com (login required)
          Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
          Spore page

Comment

You can use the 360 controller on the PC.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
              You can use the 360 controller on the PC.
              Sure, but now that I have an actual 360, there's really no point in buying PC versions of games that are available on both platforms, because I know that they will look and run better on the 360.
              Spore page

Comment

Right... Get a better computer then
                <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                  Right... Get a better computer then
                  Well... While my dual-core 2 GHz Athlon with a gig of ram, and a GeForce 6600 can't beat the 360, it is more than enough for what I use it for: school work, and civ play.

Also, in terms of video card hardware, there is only one card on the market that even comes close to the performance of the 360's, and since it retails at $640, it's not exactly the economical choice. (The first card to truly outperform the 360 will be launched next year)
                  Spore page

Comment

I don't know - running BF2142 at lowest resolution (800x600) and with all the graphics turned up, it looked pretty comparable to Gears of War on the 360. That's with a GeForce 7600GS on a 4x AGP slot.

Of course, I didn't do a real strict test or anything. But the 360 graphics just didn't look THAT impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarxis
                      I don't know - running BF2142 at lowest resolution (800x600) and with all the graphics turned up, it looked pretty comparable to Gears of War on the 360.
                      Fair enough. Well, my personal non-strict test is how do the heads look like in the game? Blocky == bad; round == good. To that end, compare the attached shots of BF and GoW. (I had to raise brightness and contrast a bit in the top gow shot to make it easier to see.) I think it's pretty clear to see which heads are rounder. Rounder heads generally means much more detail in other things.
                      Attached Files
                      Spore page

Comment

To me it's always been about different types of games and different expectations. Staying at my parents recently I ended up playing Fable on my brother's Xbox. I really enjoyed it in a FPS/beat-em-up kind of way. The controls worked for the type of game it was and I had low expectations and wanted to kill an hour or two.

I think if i'd played Fable on a PC I'd have been disappointed. I'd probably have seen it as an RPG and expected alot more. As it is I still can't imagine how the controls translate.

My very old PSOne is still fired up to play games occasionally (defender mainly) but if I bought a new console it would be to play what i view as 'arcade' games.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarxis
                          I don't know - running BF2142 at lowest resolution (800x600) and with all the graphics turned up, it looked pretty comparable to Gears of War on the 360. That's with a GeForce 7600GS on a 4x AGP slot.
                          This has to be a joke.
                          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Ok, so Gears gives some nice head. But of course, its one thing to be able to do that in a game that only allows 4vs.4 multiplay, as opposed to 32vs.32 in BF2142. But that is what the console market is Geared towards.

Comment

A more intimate experience. Right.

Gears has better graphics, by far.

Comment

Working...
                              X