Battlefield 2142

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battlefield 2142

Demo is out here. It demands roughly 1½GHz and ½Gb (of both RAM and HD space) to run.

Kinda fun. If you like FPS's, I recommend that you try it out. Has anyone else played it so far?

Yes, been playing it. I like the BF series of games for MP FPS play. I really like the futuristic setting of this one: the weapons and vehicles are great fun and not unbelievable.

Only problem is I have the graphics settings set to NIL, as anything higher and I lose fogging distance and get worse FPS than I already have.

Need a new computer. Will probably still buy it though when it comes out.

Comment

dling now

have been playing bf2 so have been waiting for this

the guns on the web site seem to be normal futuristic guns. I was hoping for lasers and stuff
      Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

after a 2+ hour dl

no dll file, wont play....
        anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

I followed a link from the bf 2142 forums and installed the all versions file on this page and it did the trick for me for the dll bug

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...7-CC576822AED4 (edit this link apparently)

Also you need to turn off the voice over ip setting in options-audio otherwise you will crash while in game as well

This game seems alright, but I cant decide if it has more atmosphere than bf2, I gues I was expecting bleak terminator 2 type future. The demo certainly has a few new features. The still frame pictures of the other levels that ship with the game look more intertesting to me than the demo levels.
          Last edited by Snotty; October 17, 2006, 13:04.

Comment

Downloading now... though I doubt I'll be interested enough to install it for a long time... BF has never been my favorite games, only downloading it to see how it is... I doubt I'll get around to play it much
            This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Get video game news, reviews, and videos for thousands of PC, console, and mobile games at Shacknews.
              Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
              Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

bugger. I was going to dl this today.

adagio one of my favorite things about the bf games was the demos, they give you 1 (or 2) levels of a multiplayer fps for free to play over and over, so even if youre arent a fps fan you can still get a fix when you want it

Comment

The EULA that comes hard copy in the box:

I did not purchase the game, this is a picture from a guy on Tribalwar.

Comment

Depending on how and when this advertising is displayed, I don't see a problem with it, as long as the advertising "fits into the game" (in the same way as in movies where some big hollywood star drinks Coca Cola, etc)
                    Does anyone know how this advertising is displayed?

Comment

Or wait... does this actually collect data from your computer, to display ads targeted at you, and not just some random advertising? In that case

Comment

How would you compare it to the new Ghost Recon? I kind of thought the "futurisitc warfare" thing looked kind of stupid and so I avoided it.
                        Lysistrata: It comes down to this: Only we women can save Greece.
                        Kalonike: Only we women? Poor Greece!

Comment

I enjoy this game a lot. The new squad upgrading is a nice continuation on the inovation BF2 started.

Played a couple online games last night, and the battles were excellent. Nice mixes of armor, air, and infantry skirmishes, and some good dynamics with the maps I played on.

I only wish my computer was new, so I could enjoy the eye-candy, but whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by Adagio
                            Or wait... does this actually collect data from your computer, to display ads targeted at you, and not just some random advertising? In that case
                            Penny Arcade linked to an interview that sums up what's happening.

The disclaimer had some users concerned over what they termed 'spyware' related to the dynamic in-game advertising supplied by IGA. But Townsend made it clear that IGA "does not capture any personally identifiable information" for those playing BF2142, going on to explain exactly what details the game's users are supplying when they play.

Specifically, IGA's software uses the IP address for geotargeting of in-game ads (so that European ads are not shown to those in the U.S., for example). It also creates a unique user number that's generated locally, and is able to re-identify the gamer when he next appears online.

In addition, IGA's in-game ad solution does capture the time of day that the user started to play each gaming session - Townsend mentioned, as an example, that "if the brief says 'Males 18 to 34'", the ads may only be served between 6pm and 9pm on a weekday evening or similar, to replicate 'primetime' viewing.

The time that each ad impression takes place is also recorded by IGA, alongside what type of ad content it was (billboard, megaboard, or video stream), the duration (how long was the ad seen for), the size of the ad relative to the player, and the angle of deflection (what angle the ad is viewed at).
                            It doesn't seem to actually search your computer for anything, it just records your IP address and uses that to target ads, record your online time, and record how you view the ads in game.
                            Lime roots and treachery!
                            "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

Too spyware-y for me.
                              Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                              Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Working...
                              X