Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm trying to play Planescape: Torment, but it makes my eyes hurt.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I've actually discovered the real culprit for my arm pains! I, um, borrowed and tried out The Movies, and the GUI is based on dragging stuff around with the mouse. That's probably what caused it, because it started to come back when I gave the game another try. It's boring and management hell, btw.
    Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

Anyone that plays games in that genre deserves pain.

Comment

Originally posted by Kassiopeia
        I think I've actually discovered the real culprit for my arm pains! I, um, borrowed and tried out The Movies, and the GUI is based on dragging stuff around with the mouse. That's probably what caused it, because it started to come back when I gave the game another try. It's boring and management hell, btw.
        Yeah that makes sense to me also - at my old job i used to have a pretty bad mouse arm position that was causing me my rsi.
        Now with my current setup all the weight of my arm is supported on the arm support - its just a left/right wrist action to move the mouse around now and it completely cleared up the minor pains i'd been having for so long.

I read an article in a magazine where Peter Molyneux was saying lack of funds is what counted against 'The Movies' and 'Black&White2', and now he is owned by Microsoft the games will be better?

Comment

That's a good one; what was his next joke?

Comment

I read an article in a magazine where Peter Molyneux was saying lack of funds is what counted against 'The Movies' and 'Black&White2', and now he is owned by Microsoft the games will be better?
            I'm surprised he's still allowed to make games?

Artistically- he's great.
            Practically/retailly/playability-wise- he's pitiful.
            -->Visit CGN!
            -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

I have a soft spot for populas+syndicate though - so he can make engaging thoughtfull games

You play a god, gaming against other gods in a celestial game of conquest. To win, you must help your chosen people take over the world and wipe out the vermin who worship that other god. Each god starts out with a single human, dumped into the middle...

In the future, the world is controlled by a handful of global corporations (syndicates). You are the Marketing director (hitman) for one of these companies. It is your job to take control away from the competitors. The job is not one of diplomacy, but...

Bullfrog Productions was a British developer. It was founded in 1987 by Les Edgar and Peter Molyneux. They were best known for their business simulations in the Theme series as well as the strategy and/or god games, such as Populous, Syndicate and...

And being artistic could actualy be an advantage in this industry, especialy at the momment as its got all corporate and glossy? If he can ignore the publisher/moneymen(which i think his comments about working for Microsoft was about) and have complete freedom to make and finish his games like he would want, then who knows - maybe he will have his wizards hat on and make us smile?

Of course if after Black+White10, i'll join the line on wanting to throttle him

After my Fallout adventure i'm going to track down Planescape:Torment, it is another game i've only ever dipped my toe in - its my shame as a gaming connoisseur that i can't say i've really played it, but know its reputation.

Comment

Hey Kassiopeia, 3 questions:

Have you enjoyed the story so far? At what point of the game are you now (where in)? Been stuck anywhere so far?

Comment

I interviewed him not long after he quit EA (after selling Bullfrog) and he said he quit because he didn't want to work for a large corporation. Or rather he wanted to be creative and EA were too corporate. Surprised he's sold up to microsoft but maybe they offered alot of freedom or making games on your own is just too expensive.

Comment

Or maybe they offered more

Comment

Why isn't it illegel yet to release a game that only runs 640x480?

Comment

Which would do what? Start dozens of legal proceedings against companies that no longer exist?
                        I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Plus IIRC Planescape was releaed in the late 90s, so such a law being in force would actually have made almost the entire PC gaming industry illegal.

In summary,

Comment

Working...
                          X