X-Com

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Apocalypse
    I made a post in newsgroups back in the day and it got referenced in a few interviews with Firaxians shortly afterwards...
    Thanks for the info.

X-Com and Settlers?!?
    The first bit of advice I'd give is to take into consideration what made X-Com 1 (Enemy Unknown) a runaway success and what made most of the sequels flop.
    "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
    "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
    2004 Presidential Candidate
    2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

I decided to do a little investigating. Soon after I began, I
      recieved hard confirmation that Firaxis did not acquire the X-COM
      license. Still, I decided to investigate further. I found the truth
      about the whole situation. Someone who works for Mythos gave further
      confirmation that Firaxis does not have the X-COM license. He did
      this in a way no one else did. Apparently Firaxis did try to buy the
      license. Mythos (or some other company) is currently or will be
      working on another X-COM title though, so Firaxis didn't not get that
      license. So, you are probably thinking we are back to square one -
      far from it.
      So they DONT have the license for X-com, Mythos does?
      In that case they cant use the name, but they can use ideas from the game for this new one?

I like the idea of Xcom/settlers very much. My theory of a good blend of these titles would be something like this:

You are in charge of a government organisation responsible for investigating alien infiltration on earth(Xcom bit). Investigate and defend your nations citizens from the alien menace, build towns to improve their security, collect resources and improve your technologies(Settlers bit).

I would see the settlers influence as being more of a strengthening of the 'civillians' already in Xcom - they would have a place on the world map, not just the isometric combat map. And you would be responsible for their well being during the alien invasion and have some way to manage them to assist in this. It would seem in this scenario that the Alien threat is much more apparant than it was in Xcom - so a real battle of Humans vs Aliens on a global scale?

I think it sounds ok - basicaly the Xcom we love and know with a bit more added(which it would need in a more modern market?).
      3D would have to be handled correctly or you could just end up with another 3D strat game that you spend most of the time control/view wrestling with.

Comment

I'm sorry to say it, but that sounds terrible.
        Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Would this involve replacing X-com's low-key (and rather unique) economic system with lots of mining for 'ore'?

I love mining for ore!

Comment

Apparently they eventually got it.

That was back from when the whole story first broke.
            "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
            "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
            "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
            "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Originally posted by General Ludd
              I'm sorry to say it, but that sounds terrible.
              Yes.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandman
                Would this involve replacing X-com's low-key (and rather unique) economic system with lots of mining for 'ore'?

I love mining for ore!
                Yeah, you need to send surveyors to find the ore too.

Comment

Do we need to send scouts to find mountains?
                  I changed my signature

Comment

The bread baking is where real strategy comes in.
                    Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Originally posted by General Ludd
                      The bread baking is where real strategy comes in.
                      Well the good thing about modern bread is you dont really need any wheat - just develope some gm edible plastic and you wont have to worry about the whole 'build farm-build windmill-build baker-build roads' chain thing. I hope it atleast makes an attempt at realism with any resource model it uses.

I want my people to need food+shelter or they might die

I suppose you could actualy have a face for the illegal trade of alien technology now? maybe we would know who actualy wants all those stubby grey bodies and the papers could point fingers in a propoganda war?

(by the way this is all being made up on the fly out of my beer addled brain, so dont worry )

Comment

Alien bread making technology.

Comment

I don't like the Settlers bit either, just like the rest of the hardcore XCOM fans in this thread.

Oh wait. Maybe we can mine for ellirium, or whatever that's called.
                          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

One thing I liked about X-Com was the whole saving the earth thing. Adding Settlers implies that you already lost and are trying to rebuild from scratch (like UFO Aftermath).
                            "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                            "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                            2004 Presidential Candidate
                            2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Working...
                            X