Is World of Warcraft dying?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is World of Warcraft dying?

I cancelled a couple of weeks back. Technical issues were getting ridiculous. Lag, loot lag, disconnects, insane server queues where before there were none, etc.

I intend to go back, so I check up on the WoW forums occasionally to see if things have been fixed. I also needed a wee bit of a break I think.

There's always a lot of complaining on the forums, but...

It seems that it has become worse. They screwed up the maintenance today and the servers were down until this evening (some are still down).

The game seems to have been tipped over the edge by the new world event. I think that the insane amount of farming going on is screwing up the game. The Blizzard rep I spoke to when I cancelled said that a lot of people had left because of the recent problems.
    Only feebs vote.

Around Xmas the login servers were completely FUBAR... then for the past week or two it seemed to be ok, though they clearly lowered the max players allowed on a server. My medium pop server had a queue during peak hours, but the pop never said high. It would go from medium straight to full.

Yesterday's maintenance however appears to have broken the entire game. Every server is broken and only about 10% of the player base seems to be able to log on. My guild's BWL raid was cancelled tonight for obvious reasons... only 10 of us could actually log in.
    "Luck's last match struck in the pouring down wind." - Chris Cornell, "Mindriot"

Comment

Originally posted by BustaMike
      Around Xmas the login servers were completely FUBAR... then for the past week or two it seemed to be ok, though they clearly lowered the max players allowed on a server. My medium pop server had a queue during peak hours, but the pop never said high. It would go from medium straight to full.

Yesterday's maintenance however appears to have broken the entire game. Every server is broken and only about 10% of the player base seems to be able to log on. My guild's BWL raid was cancelled tonight for obvious reasons... only 10 of us could actually log in.
      They lowered the pop limit because the realms were becoming laggier and more unstable. Bad move... some people are now having to wait 2+ hours to get on, only to be randomly disconnected 10 minutes after they do.

And apparently, they didn't forsee that servers that had nearly completed the world event would inspire an orgy of lvl 1 alt creation to be there for the opening. So some servers have been terrible, and a Blizz rep told me that the instability cannot be isolated, and spreads to "nearby" servers due to the design of the software.
      Only feebs vote.

Comment

I think WoW has peaked, as well as MMORPGs in general. Something has got to change.

Comment

I suddenly became interested in WOW again, but I can't seem to be able to logon to see the status of my account.

There's no game in The Sims. It's not a game. It's like watching a tank of goldfishes and feed them occasionally. - Urban Ranger

Comment

I believe this is partly due to the holidays, more kids and students to clutter up the servers. It should settle down a bit.

Comment

WoW is just too damn good

MMORPG's are still in its infancy, there's a lot to learn yet.
              be free

Comment

A friend of mine has more or less stopped playing(a potential girlfriend in sight), but many others I know have begun playing. I don't think it's over yet. But never will I play that game...
                Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Is World of Warcraft dying?
                  one can only hope!
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I just started playing a few weeks ago. I had no queue waits until the past few days.

Yesterday it was about a 15 minute wait...after the servers came back online at 8 or so eastern time.

I like the game alot, but I guess if you've been playing since release (unlike me), the game may be over for you.

Of course, this current problem doesn't bode well for the expansion, when even more players who were idle for a time might start playing again and REALLY crap out the servers.
                    While there might be a physics engine that applies to the jugs, I doubt that an entire engine was written specifically for the funbags. - Cyclotron - debating the pressing issue of boobies in games.

Comment

I also started a new character on a low pop. PvP server to see how that aspect of the game works out.

No waiting on that one yet.
                      Last edited by vee4473; January 25, 2006, 14:51.
                      While there might be a physics engine that applies to the jugs, I doubt that an entire engine was written specifically for the funbags. - Cyclotron - debating the pressing issue of boobies in games.

Comment

I guess they are a victim of their own success. Anyone having problems on European servers though? I might start WoW soon.

Comment

BAH...doomsayers.

WoW is still growing, and yes Blizz are a victim of their own success. Yes, they have been all to slow to wake up to the fact that their software and hardware didn't meet up to standards, But this is still a great game, and it is by no means dying.

So...you're leaving.....can I have your stuff?

Asmodean
                          Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

does anyone know how many people each realm holds at max?

Comment

AIDS has hit Azeroth! EVERYONE HAS AIDS!

too good to not be reposted.

Comment

Working...
                              X