Preview of an upcoming Bioware game called Mass effect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preview of an upcoming Bioware game called Mass effect

Here's a preview of one upcoming Bioware game, an Xbox 360 exclusive, based on the Unreal 3 engine.

When it comes to the role-playing game genre, BioWare is considered by many to be the best developer working today. The Edmonton, Canada-based company is responsible for some of gaming's most popular RPGs, including Baldur's Gate and Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. They were closely aligned with Microsoft's Xbox system during the current generation, and this morning we got a chance to check out the game that they'll be bringing exclusively to the Xbox 360.

Titled Mass Effect, the game is the first part in a proposed science-fiction trilogy, and it's a completely original property, much like last year's Jade Empire. The team won't say very much about the game's storyline, but they did give us a brief overview of what they want to do. In the 23rd century, mankind has finally found a way to explore the whole universe, and they're amazed to find that there's a whole "galactic community" comprised of races from all over the galaxy.

The game follows mankind's struggles to be considered as equals, as well as an ongoing war between organic and artificial life forms. We were told that the enemies will be very intelligent and very scary, and that they have some sort of nefarious plan for human beings. Throughout the game, similar themes of nature versus technology will appear in various forms, although we don't know exactly how yet.

For the first time, your character will actually begin the game with power and influence, a first for a BioWare game. You'll be the commander of a starship that has an enormous crew (this isn't the Ebon Hawk), and your actions will shape the destiny of all the life in the universe. Your character was also a Specter, a member of one of the universe's elite military agencies. As you strive to raise humanity to the pinnacle of the galaxy, you'll have some tough ethical and moral choices to make, a theme that's familiar to anyone who's played a BioWare game.

Another familiar element is the ability to create and customize your character in whatever manner you see fit. In another first, you'll be able to actually change your character's appearance down to the smallest detail, rather than simply picking a generic design. There are plenty of other mechanics, such as the ability to equip them with whatever gear you'd like or develop their characteristics by doing things, but those are pretty standard for the genre.

Although we didn't get to see any of the combat, we were told that Mass Effect will feature real-time tactical combat. Dr. Greg Zeschuk told us that the battles will be similar to KotOR in many ways, as you're controlling a three-man team and you can give orders to your men. The big difference is that the action will play out in real- time, similar to a shooter or action game. To quote the team: Mass Effect plays like a shooter, but is paced like an RPG.

One of the most interesting things about the game is that there will be a ton of replay value, as well as the chance to continue the story in a few ways. Unlike KotOR, which only let the player access certain planets, Mass Effect will have uncharted worlds that can be found and explored. As I mentioned, the game is the first in a trilogy, and we were told that gamers can expect downloadable content to extend the story and expand the universe between the game releases.

If BioWare can succeed in fulfilling all of their promises, Mass Effect may very well be their masterpiece. It's certainly their most ambitious game, and it looks like they've got a lot of good ideas when it comes to getting the most out of the Xbox 360. Thanks to the deep character creation system, the ability to continue the story in many ways, and the intriguing themes it presents, Mass Effect looks like the next-gen RPG to beat.
    Last edited by Nostromo; October 7, 2005, 12:32.
    Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

You mean, no more "wtf i cant remember anything?!" beginnings?

Comment

Fascinating. Can't wait for the PC port.
      Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

Amnesia

It looks decent though ... but XBox Only . Someday developers will begin to realize that alienating PC gamers isn't the way to go ... someday ...

... but that day will only come when it's not easier to make a buck from the sole-platform-rights
        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

You mean, no more "wtf i cant remember anything?!" beginnings?
          Not this time. I'm sure they'll use the amnesia angle again in another game

And no ****ing elves, no ****ing orcs
          Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

It looks good, but it doesn't look as good as Gears of Wars. Both use Unreal engine 3.
            Attached Files

Comment

Another one
              Attached Files

Comment

Sounds good.

Comment

Cool. I'll check out the PC version when it arrives.

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike
                    Cool. I'll check out the PC version when it arrives.
                    Ditto. No one will buy XBox 360 anyway.
                    1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                    That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                    Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                    Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

I'd laugh if it were so, but it seems unlikely.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamski

Ditto. No one will buy XBox 360 anyway.
                        I was under the impression this was Xbox 360 exclusive like Jade Empire is Xbox Exclusive.
                        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Looks good. Let's hope the game is a bit bigger than Jade Empire.

Comment

I'd buy an Xbox 360, except that for all the talk of 'a computer in the living room', it's marketed like a skateboard, instantly alienating me.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandman
                              I'd buy an Xbox 360, except that for all the talk of 'a computer in the living room', it's marketed like a skateboard, instantly alienating me.
                              What does "a computer in the living room" have anything to do with a skateboard?

Comment

Working...
                              X