No announcement yet.

Guild Wars 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tattoo does not touch energy REGEN. It only increases the maximum amount of energy you can have. A caster can only get +4 regen with armour.
    Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

• Bah. It's insufficient

I guess I'll have to increase my energy reserve then
      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

• No amount of energy is insufficient. You just have to learn to use it to its greatest potential. Of course any amount of energy below infinity is insufficient in a fashion, but you can always make do with what you've got. That's one of the thrills of monking - stretching out the energy you have, managing it, and making sure you have enough of it to keep everyone alive. "I ran out of mana" is not a good excuse.
        Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

• Well, I guess I'll have to use Mesmer skills for energy rejuvenation then.
          "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
          "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
          "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

• Originally posted by Kassiopeia
            Tattoo does not touch energy REGEN. It only increases the maximum amount of energy you can have. A caster can only get +4 regen with armour.
            Really? How much does it give? I still didn't find any unambiguous info.

If it's only a pittance, like 5 points, I'd rather increase my energy storage by 1-2 points, or try to do without, as the 75 energy I have by default (20 base, 10 from armor, 3x11=33 from storage, 12 from focus) is all I need, at least for PvE. I'm using Glyph of Energy (elite) right now, it lessens energy usage for the next spell by 20 and prevents exhaustion. I use Mark of Rodgort, thus setting the baddy on fire for ~20 sec, keep him burning with my wand and either add a Meteor Shower (fire magic), an Eruption (earth magic) or both, if it's a boss. All these spells use 25 energy, but I usually manage to cast 1 or even 2 through the glyph, which saves 15-30 energy. This setup is good for about half a minute fight, after which I regenerated the used energy and am able to rinse and repeat ad infinitum. This does not work in PvP, however.

By the way, Spiffor, there are foci and wands out there, which give you 10-15 more energy, but decrease energy regeneration by one. I strongly advise you not to use them; while the energy gain may look tempting, you will feel the lesser regeneration in an unpleasant way. Best way to go, as Kassi said, is to learn some economy with your energy, or, as you mentioned, use mesmering to regain some.

The latter, however, has 2 downsides: 1) Every point you put into inspiration magic diminishes your healing, protection and smiting, and 2) being not a primary mesmer, you don't have the fast casting skill to deal with the sometimes hefty casting times of mesmer spells. It does nothing good, if you use 5 or 10 energy to cast a 3 second inspiration spell and have to interrupt it, because one of your teammates is dying.

Comment

• Wanderer's gives +10 to max energy, Ascetic's gives +17, so it's an increase of 7 from Wanderer's. Base energy is 20. Base regen is 2, both Ascetic's and Wanderer's give +2 to that.

Censor's by comparison only gives +6 to max energy.

Comment

• The wands and offhand items that give a bonus to max energy but cut the energy regen are actually very useful ... for certain occasions.

I certainly don't recommend using them is your primary set. However, I always keep a pair on my monk as a secondary weapon set (F2 or whatever). It's useful in case you get in an emergency situation, where you are out of energy and are still in trouble ... which will happen sometimes, no matter how good you are, when you're up against an overly difficult mob group.

You switch to the secondary set, giving you an instant +25 or so energy at the cost of -2 regen; use that 25 energy (as much of it as you need to save your party); and then instantly switch back to the normal set, to go back to regenning energy at a normal rate.

Of course, you're temporarily at negative energy when you switch back - but hopefully you've done whatever is needed to save your party, and can now wait a bit to regen. If not, you can always switch back again ... but spend as little actual time with the low-regen combo as possible, switching back and forth as necessary.

It's not something you should be doing very frequently - if you're doing it once a fight that's way too often - but it's a good emergency save
                <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

• Ooh. Never thought about (ab)using the low regen items that way. Devious. You just have to be really careful to not get shafted by the negative energy, like you said, but if you're at 0 anyway and still in trouble...

Comment

• Well, I kept that wand (+15/-1) for the reason described, but rarely used it, and when I used it in the thick of battle, I usually forgot to switch back. This usually cost me more energy than it gave me. After I captured the glyph, it was rendered useless, as I never again ran out of energy.

Comment

• Well, you're an E/Mo, right? Rather more energy than a Mo/E But yes, you have to not forget to switch it back ... I tended to not forget, though, just how I play (i pay a lot of attention to the < < or > > on the energy bars)
                      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

• The energy armours are almost always the best.

Comment

• Originally posted by snoopy369
                          The wands and offhand items that give a bonus to max energy but cut the energy regen are actually very useful ... for certain occasions.

I certainly don't recommend using them is your primary set. However, I always keep a pair on my monk as a secondary weapon set (F2 or whatever). It's useful in case you get in an emergency situation, where you are out of energy and are still in trouble ... which will happen sometimes, no matter how good you are, when you're up against an overly difficult mob group.

You switch to the secondary set, giving you an instant +25 or so energy at the cost of -2 regen; use that 25 energy (as much of it as you need to save your party); and then instantly switch back to the normal set, to go back to regenning energy at a normal rate.

Of course, you're temporarily at negative energy when you switch back - but hopefully you've done whatever is needed to save your party, and can now wait a bit to regen. If not, you can always switch back again ... but spend as little actual time with the low-regen combo as possible, switching back and forth as necessary.

It's not something you should be doing very frequently - if you're doing it once a fight that's way too often - but it's a good emergency save
                          this is standard practice for my casters

JM
                          Jon Miller-
                          I AM.CANADIAN
                          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• Originally posted by snoopy369
                            Well, you're an E/Mo, right? Rather more energy than a Mo/E But yes, you have to not forget to switch it back ... I tended to not forget, though, just how I play (i pay a lot of attention to the < < or > > on the energy bars)
                            E/Me, although the Me part is on ice in favor for some earth magic.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrSpike
                              The energy armours are almost always the best.
                              The energy armours are almost always the worst. With even halfway decent energy management there is no need to ever run out of energy. I have a mo/ne build for PvP who can cast both continously (no break between spells) and infinitely (no end to the number of spells), and who wears the censor's armour, and uses a Defensive Holy Staff of Defence (very valuable to take ~32.5% less damage (+20 AR) from physical with all the IWAY crap going down recently)

I could do the same with a mo/me.

Maximum energy is really really quite pointless. Well, it has some uses, but the benefits that can be gained from NOT focusing on max energy are so valuable...

Censor's Vestments with tattooed hands and feet seem quite popular too.
                              1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                              That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                              Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                              Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

• Originally posted by Skanky Burns
                                I've kind of lost interest in this game. The biggest hurdle in completing the single-player missions is how good (or non-asshatty) the other players you are with are. If you have a decent team, any mission is easy. If one or two are stupid, can't follow directions or just don't know what they are doing then you will fail again and again. If a decent PUG comes along, you pass. If not you waste time or fail and die (while wasting time).
                                A solution to your dilemma - give me a hollar anytime I'm on.
                                Who is Barinthus?

Comment

Working...
                                X