Coffee break games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nostromo

This thread is about games that don't take over your life. A friend of mine wasted a ridiculous amount of his precious time playing World of Warcraft, time he'll never get back...
    That's not a waste.

Comment

At least, the games are short, on average less than 5 minutes.
      The game's got 34 page of rules. I don't think you are playing it properly if they last less than 5 minutes
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

The game's got 34 page of rules. I don't think you are playing it properly if they last less than 5 minutes
        I win a game once in a while, I must be playing it properly
        Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Anybody remember the various tetris-like game crazes that went around offices a few years ago?

Totally reduced productivity by having a small-download game that is horribly addictive and quick to play (thus you can think it's okay as it's not that long... but you play too many games)
          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Jawbreaker on my Ipaq is still fun in a Tetris kind of way.

On the PC, Risk by Deep red games is fun - it can't really be played in a coffee break but it is easy to pick up from where you left off.

Comment

Risk II by Microprose (I think?) is possible to play in a (long ) coffee break... Either missions or 60% world domination with the minimum amount of players...

Some of those games are over in 10-15 minutes...

Carolus

Comment

Chess. Blitz chess
                  money sqrt evil;
                  My literacy level are appalling.

Comment

I win a game once in a while, I must be playing it properly
                    Well, I won my real game (that's the third game I played, the first two games were for getting familar with the game, because I got tired RTFM) over the weekend, but it definitely took more than 5 minutes. In fact a whole lot more.

I don't see how you can finish the game in 5 minutes unless your army is much bigger than his. Or maybe I was playing it wrong? How do you do it so fast? OTOH, the computer player couldn't knock me off in 5 minutes, either
                    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

The Magic the Gathering game by microprose is great fun, you can play it in short bursts, but you risk the chance of getting sucked into the campaign and then your weekend has gone! its definately worth tracking down if your a fan of the card games(or even if your not - its up there with the xcoms of this world as a classic masterpiece).

evil clue:
                      last i knew the dogs had it to chew
                      under ground maybe?
                      but maybe the home of such
                      is the place to find it.

the new one is rubbish.
                      'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

Whatever can he mean?

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

How do you do it so fast?
                          Mad skillz. (To be frank, I'm not very good at it.) Well, it seems like 5 minutes on average. It could be more, but I doubt it would be more than 10 minutes on average.
                          Last edited by Nostromo; August 15, 2005, 21:22.

Comment

Thanks, Child of Thor, for the... illuminating poetry! I'll check it out.

the new one is rubbish.
                            Which one? Magic: the gathering online? AFAIK, its exactly like the card game. Or are you talking about Magic: the gathering battlegrounds?

Comment

yeah magic the gathering battlegrounds by atari(i think). Just doesn't compare to the old microprose version.
                              The nice thing about the place i mentioned is that they have the 'extra' expansion disks too, as the game is virtualy impossible to find these days - so thumbs up from me

Its games like these that should get a budget re-release imho, still as they are often not XP compatible i guess the budget game folks have to be carefull?

And thanks for the 'Samuri' link - i've been meaning to track this game down for a while now.

Hoplites is interesting, just wish i was better at it, still i've had it for a year and only gotten around to playing it on the odd occasion(usualy when showing it to a friend who might like it). I must try harder
                              'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

I played Hoplite a few times more. Now the games last about 20 minutes or so, but the game is awfully luck dependent. A bad break in the cards such as getting a bunch of special cards when you need more units will get you mauled faster than anything else. The flanking attacks are very strong so not getting your own cavalry or elephant units early on also be very bad.

Comment

Working...
                                X