Coffee break games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coffee break games

I barely play games anymore. I don't have the time, nor the inclination. But once in a while I'm in the mood for a coffee break game. Here are some games that I enjoy playing.

There's Hoplites, a nice little card game based on the board game SPQR. But I'm not good at it I guess I'll get the hang of it eventually... And there are Samurai and Conan extensions. Its free and you can download it here:

Btw, it looks even better with the enhanced cards.

Another game I discovered recently is the computer adaptation of Reiner Knizia's Samurai. Reiner Knizia, of course, is a well-known board game designer. He also designed the board game Tigris and Euphrates. I played Samurai once or twice and its a very elegant game. Games are short and fun! Exactly what I need!

The computer adaptation of Magic: the gathering also looks fun, but I haven't tried it yet. Anybody tried it?

Any other suggestions?
    Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Whee thanks for letting us know about this. I will take a look soon if I can get away from GW
    Who is Barinthus?

Comment

Re: Coffee break games

GTA

Comment

Originally posted by Barinthus
        Whee thanks for letting us know about this. I will take a look soon if I can get away from GW
        This thread is about games that don't take over your life. A friend of mine wasted a ridiculous amount of his precious time playing World of Warcraft, time he'll never get back...
        Last edited by Nostromo; August 11, 2005, 22:40.
        Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Re: Re: Coffee break games

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
          GTA

I bought the GTA double pack for the Xbox. I finished GTA 3, but haven't started Vice City yet. And, no, GTA doesn't count as a coffee break either.

Comment

Re: Coffee break games

Originally posted by nostromo
            The computer adaptation of Magic: the gathering also looks fun, but I haven't tried it yet. Anybody tried it?
            The one I have seen is published by MicroProse. Which means it's ages old. The game is okay, not impressive. The good thing is you get to use all those nasty out-of-print restricted cards (Black Lotus, Moxes, etc.).

Are there newer versions out? All I have seen are assistants, not real games.

Any other suggestions?
            Risk?
            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

The one I have seen is published by MicroProse. Which means it's ages old. The game is okay, not impressive. The good thing is you get to use all those nasty out-of-print restricted cards (Black Lotus, Moxes, etc.).

The MicroProse one was decent, sort of fun anyway.

Now there's the real thing online - published by WOTC, online mostly, and very $$$ heavy. You actually buy packs online (for a similar price)... but a decent game all told.
              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

Yep, this one:

Wizards of the Coast is a family of studios specializing in building role playing, trading card, and digital games for all genres of players.

Risk?
                Never played that one. And I believe the games can be quite long, so thanks but no thanks... If I'm in the mood for that sort of game, I'll play my good ol' EU 2

Comment

Now there's the real thing online - published by WOTC, online mostly, and very $$$ heavy. You actually buy packs online (for a similar price)... but a decent game all told.
                  I never played the card game, but it looks really innovative. Its that expensive, eh? The basic game isn't that expensive, irc. But do you really need to buy all those extra cards?

Comment

It's as expensive as the basic game. Not expensive or expensive is a judgement call. You have to spend a few hundred dollars to have a decent deck at all, and several hundred to play regularly, plus keeping up with new cards.
                    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Coffee break games

Never played that one. And I believe the games can be quite long, so thanks but no thanks... If I'm in the mood for that sort of game, I'll play my good ol' EU 2
                      I guess it depends on how long your coffee breaks are

You can always try gomoku which are usually quite short.

The Hoplite game seems to be too complicated to be a coffee break game anyway - unless your breaks are long
                      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

I never played the card game, but it looks really innovative. Its that expensive, eh? The basic game isn't that expensive, irc. But do you really need to buy all those extra cards?
                        It depends. If all you play are seal deck tournaments, your expenses will be low. However if you try to keep up with all the versions and expansions and such, the game is a blackhole of $$$.

It was innovative once, but the game is now just silly, being a money mill for WotC.

Comment

The Hoplite game seems to be too complicated to be a coffee break game anyway - unless your breaks are long
                          At least, the games are short, on average less than 5 minutes.
                          Last edited by Nostromo; August 12, 2005, 02:03.

Comment

I bought the GTA double pack for the Xbox. I finished GTA 3, but haven't started Vice City yet. And, no, GTA doesn't count as a coffee break either.
                            Did you miss all the news about the coffee mod?
                            This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Adagio

Did you miss all the news about the coffee mod?
                              I heard about the hot coffee mod, and I knew sex was involved, but I didn't knew why they called it "hot coffee", so I didn't get Kuci's joke. I just googled it, and now I know.

Comment

Working...
                              X