IGN top 100 games list

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IGN top 100 games list

Includes games from all platforms, and that includes mostly titles I have never heard of .

Especially notable:

Sid Meier's Pirates - 6th
    Sid Meier's Civilization 2 - 4th, and the highest ranked PC game

Unsurprisingly, Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) takes the No.1. spot. This leads me to a question, am I the only one who utterly hates Mario and Mario-clones? I just find the gameplay to be very repetitive and highly annoying, if not frustrating, how you have to jump here, then jump there, gahhhh! I dunno, I've really hated Mario and all similar games I've played, and I really tried to like them.

Of FPS games:

DOOM - 39
    Half-Life 2 - 28
    Half-Life - 22

X-COM UFO defense got #12.
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Good list really. System Shock and Deus Ex are both high up (Deus Ex is 21st, before Half Life!! That's a bold move in the current gaming world). Baldur's Gate was 25 (nice and high ) and Tecmo Super Bowl was up there as wel (24th)

Solver, FWIW, I loved the SMB games. Great fun .
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I was really surprised there was no Warcraft on the list. And I thought Age of Empires 2 could stand to be a bit higher. Morrowind wasn't on at all, but I think it deserved a place.

Then again, I'm strictly a PC gamer, and at that, I'm not a hardcore gamer who plays lots of games - as said, I didn't even know many from the list. Those Zelda games, I figure there must be something about them if they seem to get such good feedback.

Mario, well, I guess it's not my thing. Isn't the first thing that everyone likes and I hate. I actually thing that Mario is well designed, with nice level design, it's funny and everything, only I find the gameplay awful for my personal preferences.

Civ will forever be #1 on any of my own preference lists .
      Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
      I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Most of the Marios are rated too high...

GoldenEye 007 should be higher...

Too many newer PC games in the top 30...

But it's not a bad list.

EDIT: in fact too many newer games altogether...
        Last edited by mrmitchell; July 29, 2005, 20:44.
        meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

What a load of horse****.

Final Fantasy VI should have been at least #5, NOT 56. I mean, ****ing [i]sports[/b] games, inane first person shooters and Mario 64 beats out the greatest RPG ever?

Comment

Final Fantasy sucks ass. Just be glad it's there at all .

Sports games

Mario 64 was a revolutionary game. First truely 3d game ever. Definetly deserves its place.
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Final Fantasy VI owns any game on the market. Sports games, OTOH, are the bane of the pyschologically unfit, and should for the sake of humanity be banned.

Morrowind also deserved to be in the Top 25.

Comment

Re: IGN top 100 games list

Originally posted by Solver

Unsurprisingly, Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) takes the No.1. spot.
                SMB3 should take #1.

This leads me to a question, am I the only one who utterly hates Mario and Mario-clones?

Yes.

Comment

Re: Re: IGN top 100 games list

Originally posted by Kuciwalker

SMB3 should take #1.
                  Mario Bros. got it because it was the first in the series, the game that broke the downward spiral of the gaming industry, etc. Nothing to do with actual gameplay, in which SMB3, or Super Mario World, are far superior.

Comment

I spent years of my life playing SMB3

Comment

Wow so many games i've forgotten such as battletoads and so on. Ahh memories
                      Who is Barinthus?

Comment

Thief II in at #87, although they thought it better than the original.
                        I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Of course all these kind of lists are complete opinionated bollocks, but this particular one shows an embarrassing lack of console gaming knowledge, in fact i seriously doubt if all the IGN editors even played on any SEGA console once, let alone owned one.
                          Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
                          CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
                          One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

/me thinks we should challenge the IGN editors to a round of Name That Game...

(Of course only say 4 people from each side would be allowed. That sound about right ... CoT, Spike, Cap, and ... hmm, probably don't even need a fourth from us to win )
                            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

They left out a lot of good home computer games from the 80s. And where the **** was Gauntlet? More people wasted money on that than any other game except SFII AFAICR.

Many of the best games I've ever played were for the old Spectrum and C64 series of computers. Most were written by small British software companies. Lords of Midnight and Doomdark's Revenge are better games than most of the ones on that list. What about Beach Head?
                              Only feebs vote.

Comment

Working...
                              X