X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paddy setting words = speed hangman = fun

T

Comment

• Gunge is not actually in my dictionary. I'll hold off on awarding a point for it until others have a say on its usage, but I suspect it is slang.
      ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

• I had to ask Paddy what it means. So I can't say if it's slang or not.

However, do update other points and all words please, including gunge.

Comment

• Gunge is commonly used here, it means grime, sludge, dirt, etc. It's a slang term, as my dictionary states:

"gunge (colloq)"
          Smile
          For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
          But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

• Actually, some places give a non-slang definition:

1) A name for any thick, sticky substance that has no particular identity. 2) Slang; To gunge; To ejaculate.
            Smile

Comment

• Oh, I know what it means. It just isn't in my Webster's and it's not on dictionary.com. My unabridged dictionary has it as Brit. informal.

(and E for snoopy's word)
              ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

• Originally posted by Drogue
                Actually, some places give a non-slang definition:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...&defid=1067842
                I don't think I'd accept urbandictionary as a valid source.

Comment

• Urban Dictionary

Hardly a reference for non-slang words.

Anyway, I seem to recall that we agreed to only accept words from either Webster or Oxford dictionary and not listed as slang or informal. It would be nice to update the rules accordingly.
                  Last edited by Ljube; August 4, 2005, 12:16.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ljube
                    Urban Dictionary

I would agree, except some entries are listed as slang, and some aren't, which seems to suggets it differentiates. However Joncha's is probably better.

Originally posted by Ljube
                    Anyway, I seem to recall that we agreed to only accept words from either Webster or Oxford dictionary and not listed as slang or informal. It would be nice to update the rules accordingly.
                    Smile

Comment

• megajars!!!!!
                      Monkey!!!

Comment

• No more discussion! Update!
                        Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                        I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                        Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ljube
                          Urban Dictionary

Yes. If you would like to suggest the wording of the new rules, I'll add them right away.

Comment

• I think gunge is a bit dodgy too.

Comment

• I bet you do old chap

Is a good word.
                              Gurka 17, People of the Valley
                              I am of the Horde.

Comment

• I believe an online dictionary, such as http://www.dictionary.com, should be the standard. Not everyone has a webster's or an oxford, and certainly not all have the *same* webster's or oxford. (Although if these have free websites, that's fine ... I've never really looked for either as dictionary.com is good for me )

_ _ T _ _ _

6 letters, 9 remaining
                                Guessed: ET
                                <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                                I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Working...
                                X