Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just bought my first...

... real RPG.

The Elder Scrolls III Morrowind (Game of the Year Edition).

Includes full versions of Bloodmoon and Tribunal... What are those, expansion packs or the game itself?

I've held it many a time in my hand, with the urge to buy it...

Flip or flop? Is it enjoyable in SP or do you have to go on-line to appreciate it?

Carolus

There is no multiplayer, and whether it is enjoyable in SP or not is a matter of opinion.

Personally, I'm not a fan. Morrowind is a good idea but the game world just isn't appealing to me - the atmosphere is dull, and ambience is non-existant.
    Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

I loved Morrowind because I immersed myself completely in that world, and enjoyed every minute of it. However, as Ludd said, it's a matter of opinion: the NPCs are dull, and the openness of the game can be a minus for those who like clear directions.
      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Hm... Two different opinions on the game world...

Excuse a RPG beginner (and/or someone that has a problem with the ever increasing use of abbreviations), but what are NPCs?

At the back of the cover there is this character... A firm yet friendly face... Whenever I had the game in my hand, I felt I had to go meet that character...

The pictures make me think of the world in the novel Inversions by Iain M Banks (medieval technology and feudal states...); don't know why really...

Anyway, I'm looking forward to going in there! Especially since I like it when it's not directed and I can move around more freely...

Carolus

Comment

NPC= Non-Player Character, in other words, everyone you meet in the game is an NPC.

ACK!
          Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Bloodmoon and Tribunal are expansions, you don't need to do them to complete the main quest, they do, however expand the playing area.

ACK!
            Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Originally posted by Tuberski
              NPC= Non-Player Character, in other words, everyone you meet in the game is an NPC.
              And in Morrowind's case, everyone you meet in the game is the same NPC. For the most part.
              Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

I haven't played it, but I don't think it looks right for me. Most people that like it have a strange taste in games, which is always a bad sign.

Comment

give it a try. But if at first you don't like it, come back to it.

It took me 3 attempts before I learned to like the game.

Initially it isn't appealing, because I had no idea what to do. And my character seemed to really suck. Everything kicked his ass. It can be daunting at first. The cities are so big.

In a city like Vivec, I wouldn't even bother trying to talk to everyone. Just do your business there and leave. Most of the important areas are in the foreign quarter. Joshuas rare books is an important place in the foreign quarter of Vivec. It's below the fighters and mages guilds. 2 other useful places (if you happen to be part of those guilds)

Joining the mages guild is useful if only to use the teleportation system to get around. And even if you aren't a mage, it pays to get your mysticism up to 30 or 40 or so, and learn the mark and recall spells. It helps when doing quests. Set a mark spell next to the quest giver. Do your quest, then cast the recall spell to appear next to the quest giver to finish your quest.

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike
                    I haven't played it, but I don't think it looks right for me. Most people that like it have a strange taste in games, which is always a bad sign.

Comment

I don't usually recommend FAQ guides, but in this case look for a beginners guide. That's what really helped me learn the game and learn what the heck I'm supposed to do.

it will take you through the first part of the game. it has some minor spoilers, but only for the beginning part of the game. It will help you learn how to do quests (and make money) and learn how to build up your skills and get equipment.

Comment

One more thing I must mention. If you happen to install Tribunal you will have some events happen. It may be advisable to not install Tribunal for you first run through the game. These events can be tough. The only disadvantage is the expansion gives you a little better quest management in your journal. And it allows you to place markers on the map. Really the 2 main features of the expansions. There are some minor spoilers related to Tribunal below:

You will be attacked by assassins. These attacks happen far too early a level for my tastes. Make sure you check the save before resting in the options. If you die, just reload and try to rest again. Eventually you will be able to rest without being attacked.

There's a way to make the attacks stop without having to clear out all the assassins in their hideout. But it requires you to survive an attack you get after resting. Once you survive (and save it when you finally do kill one), talk to any guard and ask him about it. He will point you to ebonhart. The easiest way to get there is go to seyda neen and take the road south, or go to vivec and cross the water. (though you may also be able to get there by boat, I keep forgetting to check which cities will take you there by boat). The guards will tell you to talk to a man. He's usually up near the bridge going to the main castle. He will point you to a mage inside who will teleport you to Tribunal. He's inside (accross the bridge) wearing a red robe. Teleport to tribunal. Go up the stairs and ask about the brotherhood. They should tell you to go into the sewers in the great bazaar. I believe this is all you have to do to make the attacks stop. You don't actually have to clear out the seweres (which an be extrememely tough until you are level 30 or 40)

Comment

Morrowind is similar to real life - there are only a few people in any given area that have something original to say, the rest just repeat what others have said.

Tribunal also lets you "max sale" so you don't need to hold + down to sell things for full price. Nice, but possibly not worth the price of annoying assassins constantly attacking.

Morrowind has personality, but you need to get away from the starting area to find it. With many different books, quite a few characters that are memorable and many many beautiful cities, it is not hard to be immeresed in the game.
                          I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

I just come back from a nightly walk in the park under gentle rain (in an area of the park where I never went before), and as I advanced along the serpentine pathes, I could only think of the Ascadian Isles

(But then again, on the way back, I went through an area of office blocks and I thought of GTA )
                            "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                            "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                            "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Dis

give it a try. But if at first you don't like it, come back to it.
                              Ok, I will. Promise.

Originally posted by Dis

Set a mark spell next to the quest giver. Do your quest, then cast the recall spell to appear next to the quest giver to finish your quest.
                              Wow... You could as well have written that in chinese... That RPG lingo is frightening...

Thanks for your effort, Dis!

Carolus

Comment

Working...
                              X