I bought Victoria

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lord of the mark

3. General game play mechanics - EU2 is widely considered the "best" most finished, most balanced of the bunch. all the others have their fans, but also have key criticisms.
    What criticisms?

Comment

That Victoria sucks, for example, that its a micromanagement nightmare.

If you look at Gamerankings, Victoria has an average score of 60%, whereas Europa Universalis 2 has an average score of 86%. Hearts of Iron 2 has an average of 84%. And Crusader Kings 75%.
      Last edited by Nostromo; July 13, 2005, 13:34.
      Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Victoria is too complicated for most people, but is a really great game... it just hasn't been polished to the same standard as other Paradox games, and it shows quite badly once you've played it for a while.

Europa Universalis is probably the most enjoyable paradox game if you are just looking for a broad strategy game.

Hearts of Iron is the best if you are more interested in a war-game than the more broader aproach other paradox games take.

Crusader Kings is the best if you want a more thematic or roleplay type game.
        Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

I like Victoria very much, but it really depends on what you're looking for in a game. In a word, Victoria looks like work, but a work I'd love to be doing There's a pretty fine-tuning of the economy, and the political system is probably the best ever released in a game. The "micromamangement hell" criticism is valid, but you don't have to micromanage like crazy if you aren't a power player, or if you aren't playing with a big country (in any case, don't play as China, it's way too big)
          "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
          "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
          "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

by the way, Doc, why not ask in the poly Paradox games forum as well. There may be some folks who check there more often then they check here. And heaven knows we could use more activity in that forum, and who better than you to provide it?
            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

It was just an offhand remark really.

Comment

I've played HOI2 and find it to be pretty good. The grand strategy is done well and I like the time frame involved. It definately is a work in progress though. There are certain events that will screw you if you deviate from the historical path, which is annoying. You have to go in and edit the files to prevent some of these or things get messed up.

I've stopped playing because I'm addicted to Guild Wars and will likely pick it up again once it gets patched to 1.3.

Comment

Originally posted by SirOsis
                  I'm addicted to Guild Wars and will likely pick it up again once it (HOI2) gets patched to 1.3.
                  I'm addicted to GW too.

Comment

Originally posted by Carolus Rex
                    I've heard lots of good things about the Europa Universalis series... Don't see them much in real life shops anymore, though...
                    Tror de har dem allihop på tv spelhuset - kattesund.
                    No Fighting here, this is the war room!

Comment

Är det spelbutiken som ligger nere i gränden från McDonalds räknat? Jag glömmer alltid bort att den finns...

Carolus

Comment

Njae, om man går uppåt från P-huset färgaren så är det mittemot det andra fönstret ner i drottens kyrkoruin.
                        Första året i gymnasiet (katte) spenderade jag å en del andra mången 10 rast i den då rätt nyöppnade butiken. Sen endrade de öppningstiden till kl 11

De säljer en massa anime filmer också om man tycker sånt e kul.
                        No Fighting here, this is the war room!

Comment

Ah... Kattesund är gatunamnet, eller hur? Nu är jag med...

Originally posted by Henrik

Första året i gymnasiet (katte) spenderade jag å en del andra mången 10 rast i den då rätt nyöppnade butiken. Sen endrade de öppningstiden till kl 11
                          För mycket löst folk som hängde i butiken kring 10-snåret...

Carolus

Comment

I can speak in giberish, too. Ia ia Yog Sothoth, phnatp krew woop koi pouy wertg!
                            Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

What is this, the Swedish invasion? We already have the evil, evil finns...
                              I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Svensk... Artig spraak(jeg er ikke i Norghe, saa alle saernorske bokstaver blir borte), men jeg holder meg til et sivilisert spraak som norsk eller til noed engelsk... Men, hvis vi fortsetter med dette tipper jeg rah faar noia...
                                Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                                I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                                Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Working...
                                X