Help me choose between these 4 games:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cookie Monster
    Hated Gary Grisby's World at War (GGWAW) because it felt to rigid and like something I've played before in another life.

Don't know anything about the other games you mention.
    so it didn't feel like Axis and Allies (board game or the computer version of the board game), but only better?

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
      so it didn't feel like Axis and Allies (board game or the computer version of the board game), but only better?
      Yeah something like that but it also kinda felt like Avalon Hill's Third Reich.
      signature not visible until patch comes out.

Comment

the one I created a thread for. . Arcanum.

Oh. I thought you were considering an old wargame, as Spikey suggested.
        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

He's exploring several avenues. Get your oar in now if you want to recommend an old wargame.

Comment

I tried the antietam demo on my computer once. It doesn't work for some reason. perhaps it wasn't meant to work with XP.

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike
              He's exploring several avenues. Get your oar in now if you want to recommend an old wargame.
              To be quite honest i havent played all that many old wargames - ive been too busy "expanding my gaming horizons" I'll do my best though.
              "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

I tried the antietam demo on my computer once. It doesn't work for some reason. perhaps it wasn't meant to work with XP.
                You mean SMA, right? Im quite sure it (and SMG) was designed for Win 95, etc, not a DOS game. post DOS games should run on XP, right? I'll have to check that it was not a DOS game. Older post DOS games often have trouble running some systems though, IIUC, so it may be your particular system rather than XP.

Have you ever played SMG on this machine? Its the same engine.

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark

To be quite honest i havent played all that many old wargames - ive been too busy "expanding my gaming horizons"
                  Nothing wrong with that.

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark

You mean SMA, right? Im quite sure it (and SMG) was designed for Win 95, etc, not a DOS game. post DOS games should run on XP, right? I'll have to check that it was not a DOS game. Older post DOS games often have trouble running some systems though, IIUC, so it may be your particular system rather than XP.

Have you ever played SMG on this machine? Its the same engine.
                    haven't played gettysburg. I wanted to try the demos first, as I wasn't sure if I would like a real time wargame.

Comment

haven't played gettysburg. I wanted to try the demos first, as I wasn't sure if I would like a real time wargame.
                      I got the both together two years ago, a package called "Sid meiers civil war collection" for $10. you can probably find it on the net for less, or if youre lucky, in a bargain bin. Still, if it wont run on your machine, its no bargain. I dont know enough to help with technical issues, esp with Win XP. You could try CSIPG.War-historical.

I thought the game was excellent - you can vary the speed, and pause and give orders, but its still immensely challenging. I finally gave up trying to win the opening of the second day at Gburg.

Comment

Working...
                      X