Help me choose between these 4 games:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me choose between these 4 games:

I have 2 wargames and 2 naval simulations. Yes I'm looking at my June issue of CGW right now. I have mentioned I want to get into wargames. Although these two wargames only have 3 and 1/2 stars. But they look kind of interesting.

Domination is the first wargame.
    Gary Grigsby's World at War is the second wargame.

has anyone played these games? Describe your experiences.

And 2 naval simulations games. One got 4 stars, the other 5 stars.

Dangerous Waters

and Silent Hunter III.

I think I'm definately getting silent hunter, but dangerous waters looks pretty good. A bit involved, but I was in the navy (though I still know nothing of naval warfare), so I might be interested in the in depth material of the game.

what an issue for this magazine. They also have 2 other 5 star games. Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, and Swat 4. And Psychonauts got 4 1/2 stars. So many amazing games. As for those last games, I'm not sure if I will like that style of play. So I'm not asking about those, but those are remote possibilities in the future (perhaps when they hit the bargain bins in several years)

Do you have HoI2? If not, there's nothing to wait for, get it.
    Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
    I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
    Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

wargames

naval simulations
      I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Kassiopeia loves Silent Hunter III. He has written profusely about it.
        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
        "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
        "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Naval Simulations are dull.

And since you don't like full price games, for the wargames you can pick up old wargame classics for next to nothing, or even nothing at the place that cannot be mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike
            Naval Simulations are dull.

And since you don't like full price games, for the wargames you can pick up old wargame classics for next to nothing, or even nothing at the place that cannot be mentioned.

really, wargames are a niche genre, generally made by small developers, and released by small publishers. If ANYBODY in the gaming industry deserves support, its folks like these. I salute Diss for wanting to not only buy such games, but to buy new ones.

BTW, its my impression that niche wargames DON'T fall in price nearly as dramatically as mainstream games do, from some searching on various online SALE sites (still havent bought a game online). Something to do with a market thats not real interested in graphics, and thus doesnt obsolesce products as fast, I think.
            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

I don't know much about the first 2 games, but I heard the 2 naval games are quite good
              "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
              "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

I've heard a ton of positive things about SH3 from fans of naval simulations. It also apparently requires quite a good comp, though.
                Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark

really, wargames are a niche genre, generally made by small developers, and released by small publishers. If ANYBODY in the gaming industry deserves support, its folks like these. I salute Diss for wanting to not only buy such games, but to buy new ones.
                  I would think you more than anyone would support my advice given your fetishes.

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike

I would think you more than anyone would support my advice given your fetishes.
                    You mean bargain bin hunting? At least im not DLing - even buying used games provides an indirect (albeit small) boost to the industry. And i often buy new, if shovelware games - most recently i bought the Paradox 6 pack - it was new (IE not used), if it was only $20. And someday I will buy a new, recent release game, if I can ever get through my backlog of games (not likely - as you suggested, EU2 is likely to absorb me for a LONG time)

Again, Diss suggested that he wanted to buy a new game - i didnt say Ive bought any lately, but that I salute him for doing so.
                    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

I'll definately be geting SH3, but I decided to get an older game first. So these games will go on hold for a little while.

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai
                        Do you have HoI2? If not, there's nothing to wait for, get it.
                        Definately!

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
                          I'll definately be geting SH3, but I decided to get an older game first. So these games will go on hold for a little while.

which older games are you considering?

Comment

Hated Gary Grisby's World at War (GGWAW) because it felt to rigid and like something I've played before in another life.

Don't know anything about the other games you mention.
                            signature not visible until patch comes out.

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark

which older games are you considering?
                              the one I created a thread for. . Arcanum.

Comment

Working...
                              X