Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by child of Thor
    You sound like you want a console !
    well the problem is there arent really any console games i want to play OTOH, lots of folks have said that a console COULD play a serious strat game, and that you can attach a keyboard and mouse to it. So i was wondering if the real problem i had was the PC, or the nature of a game like EU itself, which would mean if playing on a console id have similar problems.

Arent they making a version of EU for one of the portable consoles?
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by Skanky Burns
      But then who is going to bring food from the kitchen to your computer so you actually still remember to eat? For those of us no longer living with our parent, this poses a real problem.

You think a wife is going to bring food to you while you play a game
      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

eh, anGel is undoubtedly nice enough to do so for Skanky, although more likely i think is that he brings it to her while she plays ...
        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark

Refer to my solution above.

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike

Refer to my solution above.

Your gf must REALLY want to keep you out of her hair

Comment

If she relied on me to bring her food, she would end up as skinny as I am.
              I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike
                The clear answer is to not get married just before a new Civ game is released.
                doh'!
                be free

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark
                  Life would be easier with a pro-civ girlfriend. Why did I have to get married just before Civ1 came out?
                  "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                  "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                  2004 Presidential Candidate
                  2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Looking at some of the posts here, and my own general theory which has more to do with the 'tv generation' in general; I'd say your more likely to have negative physical symptons when gaming if your not in good shape.

As with most things in life if you keep yourself physicaly active, you generaly have less problems overall.
                    Still if you've got a bad postition for using your PC/console then you just have to experiment to find the most comfortable arrangement.

I have a few friends who work in IT and over the years of sitting hunched over a PC, they commonly have problems with their backs/necks/arms etc. Most of them didn't do regular exercise, but the fitter ones definately had less servere problems.

Even with my proportionaly high amount of gaming/pc use over the years, i've kept up a pretty healthy lifestyle - good food+lots of sport and general 'outdoorsy' activities.

I think this is what has helped me to stay in shape and not have the kind of physical troubles some of my friends have had?

I used to get the odd mouse arm trouble(cant remember what the term is - rsi? ), anyway i started to regularly use one of those grip strengtheners things(you squeeze them in one hand), and that problem got much better.

Still i'm not sure that LotM will find a console experience physically more comfortable than a PC one. Maybe(horrors!) part of the problem is that he could be 'growing' out of games? Or maybe like me just finding many of todays games shallow experiences and difficult to spend much time with?
                    'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

[QUOTE] Originally posted by child of Thor
                      Looking at some of the posts here, and my own general theory which has more to do with the 'tv generation' in general; I'd say your more likely to have negative physical symptons when gaming if your not in good shape.

I think thats right. I guess im thinking it makes sense to spend less time gaming, and more getting exercise, and then maybe game later when im fitter. A good incentive to improve fitness.

That would help with back problems. Im not sure about eye problems though.

oblem is that he could be 'growing' out of games? Or maybe like me just finding many of todays games shallow experiences and difficult to spend much time with?

I dont know. the game im playing these days is EU2, and i still think thats one of the best games ive ever played. OTOH im still playing it on an old system, and it takes really long to load, so im not inclined to just play for a little while, and playing for a long time is hard on back and eyes, as ive said.

Comment

Playing too much games is probably the cause of my continuous backache, and also the reason why in bad shape. It's not that I get fat... it's just the muscles that are dwindling
                        It's weird but these last years I don't really game that much anymore. Except sometimes when I really get absorbed by a certain game. A good thing is to have a TFT screen which is much more comfortable with your eyes. Also, use the MOO3 skin on apolyton (blue), which is nice to look at too!
                        The most important thing is your chair indeed though.
                        "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                        "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

I don't have to worry about it since I don't work an office job or a desk job where I'm sitting down all the time. Though I still do a fair amount of sitting at my job, it also requires me walking from place to place (and driving from place to place). And when I get to the location, when I'm working, I'm usually sitting down. But not in a position similar to what people working on computer are doing.

And anyways, my marathong days of playing 20 straight hours of civ2 are over. I think 12 hours of gaming is my record of the past couple of years. I really can't do much more than 12 hours. My eyes get tired. But my eyes didn't seem to get tired back in those civ2 days. I distinctely remember doing almost 20 hours one time.

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
                            edit.........

I really can't do much more than 12 hours. My eyes get tired. But my eyes didn't seem to get tired back in those civ2 days. I distinctely remember doing almost 20 hours one time.
                            I'm reminded of a story that a friend reminds me of every now and then. As he tells it:

He came around to visit me, as he hadn't seen me for a few days. So he comes to my house and upon entering my room finds me in darkness illuminated by the glow from my TV. He calls my name and a ghostly pale face slowly turns towards him - i'm unshaven and wearing my cycling shades. He says he could almost imagine cobwebs hanging from my head! cheeky devil.

I'd just completed a combined non-stop 36hrs on Space Crusade and Geof Crammonds Formula One on my Amiga

The moral of the story is if your worried about your eyes, wear some UV reflective shades - i've luckily not had any eye problems yet(but when my eyes feel the strain out come the shades), but that is another thing that long term pc/gaming can cause trouble with.

It seems gaming can be a hazardous hobby
                            'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

yeah we should be up there with those xtreme sports like rock climbing.

lets see if we can get on the xgames.

Comment

Ok, let's see...

Computer gaming:

- bad for your back

- bad for your eyes

- bad for your neck

- bad for your mouse arm

- bad for your overall physical stamina (except for DaveV!)

- bad for your relationship

- bad for your economy (?)

Are we addicts, or what?!

BTW, what's QFT?

Carolus

Comment

Working...
                                X