Who is playing Guild Wars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is playing Guild Wars

This game is out, though I don't think the servers go online until tomorrow.

I'm not getting it, but I'm hoping someone else here will be the guinea pig and tell me if this game is worth buying. .

post your reviews here.

From beta reports it looks really good.

Comment

hehe
      I preordered it, haven't paid for the game yet. Probably will.
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

I think I would like to try it out

bu tam playing AO and Galaxies right now..

JM
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Picked up a copy today. Will install it when I get home tomorrow night.

Looks great.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I saw a copy in a store today and I didn't realize it's basically a free mmorpg (as in no monthly fees) - cool.

I will definitely sniff around the Net for more information - but so far what are your thoughts?

Also I wonder how they will be able to maintain the servers without monthly fees? Pop-up ads everytime you level and when you die you have to endure a minute of flashing ads?
            Who is Barinthus?

Comment

You pay $50 for the game, ffs. That's plenty to maintain the servers. It'll have a new $50 expansion every 4-6 months, nonmandatory but probably a lot will pick it up.

Also, it's not exactly a MMORPG. You don't play in the same precise location as everyone else - you or your party get a fresh instantiaton of the world each time you leave the city - so it's not as hard on the servers (never more than 8 people in the same place, for 4x4 action)

Comment

Thanks, snoopy. Guess it's not a true mmorpg but still merit a look.

What's the difference between Guild Wars and NWN? Mind you I haven't touched NWN myself but from what I understand there's online play to a limited extent.
                Who is Barinthus?

Comment

Well NWN can have 128 people in the same place and you can pick it up, with the expansions, cheaper than GW

There's more differences than similarities.
                  1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                  That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                  Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                  Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Guild wars is, sort of, a cross between diablo and a MMORPG. I say like diablo, because Guild Wars in a sense takes something from 'dungeon crawlers' of old, as does Diablo, in that you essentially go into dungeons that are spawned for you upon request, once you leave town.

I'm not 100% sure of the mechanics myself, i played mostly singleplayer in the beta, and it was very limited in scope (my playing) - but essentially you go out with a small team or by yourself, and you head off either PVE or PVP (your choice, based on where you leave to). PVE to gain experience and get some basic items, and PVP for the real fun. Guild Wars certainly seems like PVP is the place that will be the most fun. It is hopefully better than most MMORPGs because it should require more player-skill to play and not as much time-collecting-stuff-for-cool-items. It seems to have a much lower level-limit than most games (possibly 20?) also, meaning you can get several characters there fairly quickly (in 2 days of beta testing, single player nearly entirely, i gained like 7-8 levels or something).

Check out fansites; even for such a new game, there are hundreds of them that give better descriptions than me.

Comment

Yeah you play a SP campaign (though there are fedex style MMORPG quests if you want them) with other people. It's different from NWN as there is attempts to emulate the MMORPG environment in the PWs.

Then, when you get to 20 (happens pretty fast, normal SP campaign length) you can fight others singly or in teams.

It looks damn clever to me. I hope it works, and will be sure to check it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Barinthus
                        I saw a copy in a store today and I didn't realize it's basically a free mmorpg (as in no monthly fees) - cool.

I will definitely sniff around the Net for more information - but so far what are your thoughts?

Also I wonder how they will be able to maintain the servers without monthly fees? Pop-up ads everytime you level and when you die you have to endure a minute of flashing ads?
                        The economics is not that unreasonable. Diablo 2 did it with battle.net (which accomadated other blizzard games as well).

the makers of mmorpg's are just greedy bastards.

Yes this game will be having fairly regular expansions. They will be using this to generate extra money. I heard in the main game you can only go up to level 20. Which theoretically forces you to buy the expansions which equals a monthly fee anyways. but not necessarily. I have the most fun before level 20 in alot of games. And even mmorpg's have expansions that cost money. So mmorpg's are ****ing you 2 ways instead of one.

Comment

So how is it? The reviews seem positive. What do you think of it?

Comment

I don't know, I'm waiting for other people to try it first. to be guinea pigs in essence.

Comment

I don't why you persevere Diss, I can tell you right now from your stated opinions that you wont like this game.

Comment

Working...
                              X