Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone remember the original Neverwinter Nights game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone remember the original Neverwinter Nights game?

I'm talking about the one from 1992 or so. I believe it was 1989 when the first official AD&D video game came out (Pool of Radiance) and all of my friends and I fell instantly in love with the game as we spent hours hacking and slashing our way through the C64 version. Those "Gold Box" games (Pool of Radiance, Curse of the Azure Bonds, Secret of the Silver Blades, and Pools of Darkness. They also made Neverwinter Nights the first online game which attempt to create an interactive online world, however, it could only be played on AOL.

My father hated AOL (he used prodigy back in those days since the only ISPs in town were AOL, Prodigy, and Compuserve) so I would have to go over to my friends house where we'd spend hours online killing monsters and role playing with people from all over the US and Canada. Now days that sort of stuff is considered par for the course but back then it was revolutionary. I got to thinking the other day that the newer RPGs added in lots of bells and whistles but in terms of pure plot line and original thinking it sure was hard to beat those old AD&D gold box games from SSI. Anyone else remember these old games or actually play the original NWN?
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

I also remember begging my friends to buy a D&D game for the Atari 2600 we had in the early to mid 1980's. One of my friends bought it and it was a really primative game as one would expect plus it had hardly any plot at all. The gold box games for the C64 were light years ahead.

Comment

I played all the Gold Box games, but not NWN online. I also used Prodigy.

ACK!
      Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

it got pretty poor reviews, but it was amibtious for its time.

Comment

I actually have all the FR Gold Box games on my PC here. The DL ones I never really got into so much, but I still love Pool of Radiance and its 3 sequels. They were what got me into CRPGs initially. I can still remember the names of some of my characters - most notably Derek the Cleric I'd play with my brother and have 3 characters each, or with a whole group! Wow, innocent times.

-Jam
          1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
          That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
          Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
          Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Mmmm.... Pool of Radiance.

I can barely remember anything about it now, but it must have eaten up so much of my time when I was younger.

Comment

I still remember Lux, shatni, and... Damn, I forgot one of the secret passwords you had to use on Sokal Keep. My friends and I played those games over and over and over and infact one of my favorate Characters was Oerdin Farr a half-elf F/M/T which started out in PoR wondering through the Slums of New Plan. I later started playing him in the pen and paper version of AD&D before I gave that game up in 1993 or so. I still have all of the first and second edition AD&D books in my parents' garage some where.

Comment

Remember that flipping code wheel you had to use for the copy protection? It was MADDENING

Oh, and Phlan, wasn't it?

Quiz time!

Who is head of the council of New Phlan?
                What monster is most to be feared in the library?
                Where can one find a scroll of Fireball?
                What is the best way of getting 6 rings of protection +1 before the party hits level 2?

-Jam
                1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!

Comment

Cadorna

Ghost

Troll treasure stash in the slums? I remember that was the hardest fight until you had to fight the dragon at the end.

As with all magic items you just clone them by saving your party, giving all items to one person then deleting the other five. You go back to your save and reimport the five in their original state. Tada you've doubled your items and money. Normally you'd get a +1 ring of protection and a +1 broadsword by hiring a fighter to join your party then killing him or letting him die and taking the stuff from his dead body.

Comment

BTW that code wheel did suck. I remember you could line everything up perfectly them still make a mistake because there were like five or six different lines (- - - vs = = = type stuff) and you could mix them up.

BTW That was a typo with Phlan.

Comment

Did you think the spectre was worse than the basilisk in the library? Level drain was one thing, being turned to stone was much more expensive to fix

And yes, the correct method was to hire a level 4 fighter (Hero), kill him in the slums, strip the loot and clone it

And the troll stash, yes it was!

Ok, you are a true fan

-Jam

Comment

Originally posted by Jamski
                        What monster is most to be feared in the library?
                        I seem to remember basilisks being in the library. And they were pains in the ass.

Comment

You guys are right there was a basilisk in the library and the spectre tells you how to defeat it. I found the trolls to be very difficult because most of my characters were 2-4 level by the time I cleared out every thing but the trolls. Often I'd go to Kuto's well or Sokul keep (remember the giant toads?) so i could earn some XP then go back to the trolls once my F/M/T and F/M/C had gotten to 5/5/5 so I could use lightening bolt. Once the trolls were dead I'd clone the fireball scroll and give everyone fireball.

Comment

Actually I looked it up. It was lightening bolt on the scroll in the trolls' room so the secret was to learn fireball then scribe lightening bolt after cloning the scroll.

Comment

They also made Neverwinter Nights the first online game which attempt to create an interactive online world, however, it could only be played on AOL.
                              That's bull****, interactive online worlds have been around since the late 70s.
                              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Working...
                              X