No announcement yet.

Supreme Ruler 2010: out in a month

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HoI2 and WW2Online are the end all be all WW2 games.
    Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

haven't played either one, so they must suck.

Comment

HOI2 desperately needs a few more patches.
        Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

Yeah, I'm not holding my breath for the imminent 1.2 patch. Paradox have been promising longer but more complete and careful patching but you only have to look at Crusader kings to see that they can repeatedly fail to fix certain basic problems.
          To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
          H.Poincaré

Comment

First off, I'm definately keeping my eye on this one. I'll get it only if it doesn't fail as Superpower did.

Now Dissident is right. We always need WW2 games because there are not enough of them that don't suck. I returned Gary Grisby's World at War in disgust because it definately sucked. HOI2 is sooooooooo much better. Flame if you will but that's just MHO. Details if you want them.

Hopefully World in Flames will come out and will be good.

But back to the topic. I've been keeping my eye on SR2010 but I'm not totally convinced enough yet to buy it the day it comes out. I need to see how it performs first.

Good day....
            signature not visible until patch comes out.

Comment

yeah we always say we don't want ww2 games. But what is the first scenario someone does with Civ3- a ww2 scenario.

Though I'm not sure I'd buy an entire game devoted to WW2. It'd be better as a scenario or expansion pack.

Comment

Originally posted by Cookie Monster
                First off, I'm definately keeping my eye on this one. I'll get it only if it doesn't fail as Superpower did.

Now Dissident is right. We always need WW2 games because there are not enough of them that don't suck. I returned Gary Grisby's World at War in disgust because it definately sucked. HOI2 is sooooooooo much better. Flame if you will but that's just MHO. Details if you want them.

Hopefully World in Flames will come out and will be good.

But back to the topic. I've been keeping my eye on SR2010 but I'm not totally convinced enough yet to buy it the day it comes out. I need to see how it performs first.

Good day....
                I think we can always use more WW2 grand strategy games.

BTW, why didn't you like WaW?

Comment

Here's the link to Supreme Ruler 2010:

Comment

Silly me... I didn't even put a link to the site's webpage
                    Go GalCiv, go! Go Society, go!

Comment

Leonidas:

Well one of the main reasons why I didn't like GGWAW was that it felt too much like I've done this before. Somewhere in my somewhat vast wargaming experience I've played a game like this (not Axis and Allies) but I can't put my finger on it. Basically I didn't think there was anything that was new about this game.

The other thing that annoyed me was the production screen. There are no costs associated to building units. One has to click on a unit and place in the build queue to see what it will take. Even then you don't get the whole picture. The manual (quite big and detailed actually) doesn't really explain either. Over at the Matrix boards some said that the reason why no cost figures are included in table form is because each power/nation has different costs for making units.

Finally the way the game feels when played out is that it feels that every game you play will probably turn out the same. HOI2 is definately a differenet game everytime you play. Again just my 2 cents.

One thing positive about GGWAW was that it is playable right out of the box.

Comment

Leonidas:

Well one of the main reasons why I didn't like GGWAW was that it felt too much like I've done this before. Somewhere in my somewhat vast wargaming experience I've played a game like this (not Axis and Allies) but I can't put my finger on it. Basically I didn't think there was anything that was new about this game.

The other thing that annoyed me was the production screen. There are no costs associated to building units. One has to click on a unit and place in the build queue to see what it will take. Even then you don't get the whole picture. The manual (quite big and detailed actually) doesn't really explain either. Over at the Matrix boards some said that the reason why no cost figures are included in table form is because each power/nation has different costs for making units.

Finally the way the game feels when played out is that it feels that every game you play will probably turn out the same. HOI2 is definately a differenet game everytime you play. Again just my 2 cents.

One thing positive about GGWAW was that it is playable right out of the box.
                        Thanks for the reply.

I'm a wargamer too.

Was that other game 3rd Reich? The computer version with the latest patches is quite fun to play. Sorta like a WW2 chess game....

It's available at the *cough* "doggie site" *cough*...

I know what you mean about feeling like you are being strait-jacketed in gameplay. The choice is often between history and gameplay. My preference when these two clash is that gameplay should win out all the time.

After all, a game can be very historical. The question is: Is it fun to play?

If it's not fun; if it's not replayable; then all the historical things that went into the game mean very little.

For example, MTW is fun to play, while giving a nod to the historical period. I find the game very replayable and open-ended... here gameplay won out over strict history.

Funny, no matter how many new games come out, I always seem to find myself going back to the older games for some real fun, exciting gameplay.

BTW, I would highly recommend "2194 Days of War" for Civ2 MGE. Play as Germany on the highest difficulty setting. I am having a blast. And good luck - heheh

Comment

Originally posted by Leonidas

Thanks for the reply.

I'm a wargamer too.

Was that other game 3rd Reich? The computer version with the latest patches is quite fun to play. Sorta like a WW2 chess game....

It's available at the *cough* "doggie site" *cough*...

I know what you mean about feeling like you are being strait-jacketed in gameplay. The choice is often between history and gameplay. My preference when these two clash is that gameplay should win out all the time.

After all, a game can be very historical. The question is: Is it fun to play?

If it's not fun; if it's not replayable; then all the historical things that went into the game mean very little.

For example, MTW is fun to play, while giving a nod to the historical period. I find the game very replayable and open-ended... here gameplay won out over strict history.

Funny, no matter how many new games come out, I always seem to find myself going back to the older games for some real fun, exciting gameplay.

BTW, I would highly recommend "2194 Days of War" for Civ2 MGE. Play as Germany on the highest difficulty setting. I am having a blast. And good luck - heheh
                          Good to see another wargamer!

Actually I have computer 3rd reich. That was a great game.

I agree with you on MTW and RTW as well. Those are great games with good playability. However I've heard that the ai in RTW is broken and they don't plan on fixing it. (it's been a while since I've played either of these two games although they are still on my hard drive)

I've got a lot of old but great wargames like the Combat Mission series, Norm Koger's TAOW etc. etc....

Have you tried Curt Sibling's "Dictator" for Civ Test of Time? It's as fun as 2194 Days of War which is also a great book by the way.

In sum while I like things to be historical, gameplay is equally if not more important.

Comment

Good to see another wargamer!

Actually I have computer 3rd reich. That was a great game.

I agree with you on MTW and RTW as well. Those are great games with good playability. However I've heard that the ai in RTW is broken and they don't plan on fixing it. (it's been a while since I've played either of these two games although they are still on my hard drive)

I've got a lot of old but great wargames like the Combat Mission series, Norm Koger's TAOW etc. etc....

Have you tried Curt Sibling's "Dictator" for Civ Test of Time? It's as fun as 2194 Days of War which is also a great book by the way.

In sum while I like things to be historical, gameplay is equally if not more important.
                            I've got all the old wargames too - heheh

The Steel Panther series, Close Combat, SPMBT, TOAW, Panzer General (in all its incarnations), Silent Hunter, etc...

Although, many of them still play better and have battles that beat some of the newer games.

I will definitely try Curt's Dictator. I'm currently playing his Bitterfrost II, and he puts out polished scenarios.

Cheers!

Comment

You two are excellent thread hijackers

I have no idea what kind of WW2 there will be with SR2010, but it should be factually correct
                              Go GalCiv, go! Go Society, go!

Comment

That'll be in the SR1939 add-on then?
                                To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                                H.Poincaré

Comment

Working...
                                X