BattleIsle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BattleIsle

The demo is on the Settlers2 CD. So installed it for kicks. BattleIsle 2220, i think. A TBS, set in the usual vague near future sci - fi, with surface combat (tanks, planes, ships, and the usual robothingies, but no spacecraft, AFAICT) with some sort of cheesey scifi plot. Didnt impress me at ALL.

Anyone ever play one of the games in this series?
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

OMFFFFFFFFFFFFG BEST GAME!!!!!!!!!!

I played the orginal BI on the Amiga literally to death. For years my Amiga gaming was BI and Civ 1. Then I got Battle Isle '93, which kept me going for another year or so, untill I got Historyline.

This game was absolute genius. The skill lay in abusing the AI's limitations to win in the later scenarios where you would often be outnumbered by as much as 10 to 1. Basically you had to learn how the AI was making its desisions to beat it. Which I did.

Excellent games. BI '93 was my favorite, despite the lack of battleships and carriers (as it was set on the MOON) as it had the ultra-long-range "Flame" rocket launchers and the regenerating "Titan" transport shuttles (since the AI would target Flame units as a priority, the game plan on later levels would be to gain air superiority and then shuttle the Flame units about the map, invunerable in the Titan transports, and divert the enemy away from your base. Hah!)

-Jam

-Jam
    1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
    That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
    Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
    Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Battle Isle
      Battle Isle 2 and 3
      Don't remember having played BI 2220
      Or is that the one in 3D? If so, then I've played a MP beta where the MP part didn't work (so basicly I've only managed to play SP without enemies)

You should try the first Battle Isle or History Line (same game, different time period)... old games, but fun (at least if you have someone to play against)
      This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Jamski
        Then I got Battle Isle '93, which kept me going for another year or so, untill I got Historyline.
        BI '93?

Never heard of that one...

Comment

I'm with Jamski and Adagio. Great series of games for the amiga. Not sure which one Battle Isle 2220 is but all the others were classics. Great multiplayer as well. Resource management, unit experience, tactical battles as well as some grand strategy.

Historyline was also part of the series. Stayed with it till the 3D tactical squad combat one whose name escapes me. It was more like a puzzle game than a wargame. Haven't tried the latest which, i think, was a mixture of real time and TBS.

Comment

Where'd all those posts come from ?

Guess you can all type much faster than me !!

Comment

Moby Games says:

Battle Isle 2 (aka Battle Isle 2200)
              Released: 1993

So I'm guessing you all are talking 'bout the same thing there.

EDIT: Also I guess I am assuming OP made a typo.
              XBox Live: VovanSim
              xbox.com (login required)
              Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
              Spore page

Comment

That means Battle Isle 2 = Battle Isle 2200 = Battle Isle '93?

Comment

You have BI1,2 and 3 plus there were a couple of datadisks as well. BI2 was probably the best, nice challenging levels with a good selection of units (naval, air, land). BI3 was a bit of a let down and the FMV story was very corny IMO.

Great games for their time, although the AI wasn't up to scratch. It mostly relied on superior numbers (2:1 ratio at least).

You should take a look at ASC once. It's an open source remake of BI. The only thing missing is the simple 3D battle enactments you had in BI2. I kinda liked that the first few times.
                  Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

Originally posted by CapTVK
                    You should take a look at ASC once. It's an open source remake of BI.
                    Is that the one made in Java? I believe I tried it once about a year ago

The only thing missing is the simple 3D battle enactments you had in BI2. I kinda liked that the first few times.
                    That's one of the things I didn't like about BI2+
                    It looked soo much better in BI and HL (That's History Line)

Comment

History Line 1914-18 as a sequel, anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by Adagio

Is that the one made in Java? I believe I tried it once about a year ago
                        I think we're talking about different games, ASC-HQ uses SDL and paragui.

That's one of the things I didn't like about BI2+
                        It looked soo much better in BI and HL (That's History Line)
                        Really? I always loved to see those little 3d units move about and start firing on each other. After a few times, once you've seen the different kind of attacks I turned it off.
                        Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

I think we're talking about different games, ASC-HQ uses SDL and paragui.

Didn't know about this one... thanks for the link

"Looks" much better compared to the other game I tried (both graphics and gameplay wise), gotta give this one a try

Though aren't they in trouble? It seems like they use the same graphics as in BI..?

Really? I always loved to see those little 3d units move about and start firing on each other. After a few times, once you've seen the different kind of attacks I turned it off.
                          I just hate such simple 3D graphics unless there's a point why it should be simple, and in this case it was just simple because they didn't have the possibilities to make it more advanced so they only included it to brag about that they could do 3D graphics

Comment

I've downloaded it and will check it out.

ACK!
                            Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

BI and BI2 were undeniably classics.

Comment

Working...
                              X