Design your dream game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Design your dream game

I have always been thinking: What if I could design my own dream game, and play it without worrying about little things such as hardware requirements and software limitations.

What should the game be like? What kind of elements should it have. Should it be TBS, RTS or perhaps RPG? Here's what I would really like to play:

The genre: An RPG/TBS/RTS hybrid (how...I'll get to that)

The setting: Anywhere in the world, app. 4000 BC and onwards (epic scope) I personally think it would be cool to play China.

The idea: I would like to play a game, where you interact with both individual characters, tribes, nations and armies. I envision a simulation of the life of a ruler. I think it would be cool to play, and addictive as hell.

The RPG elements would be living the life of the ruler. Going about his business, living his life, ruling his tribe/nation/empire.

The TBS elements would be moving around units and armies. Expanding the country's borders, building wonders and improvements.

The RTS elements would be the battles. They look cool, and would be very fun to play out. (Haven't you ever wanted to control your armies in a civ game?).

As of now, it's only a rough sketch, but I think you get my idea. The difficult thing would be to transcend between the different parts smoothly (the hardest being how you go back and forth between RPG and TBS). But if that could be done, I think I would never need to play another game. To do this, you would need one hell of a lot of locations, which is why it couldn't really be done in the foreseeable future. But perhaps some day??

What do you think...and what would your dream game be like?

Asmodean
    Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

I don't have 'a dream game', I have dream games. I have a lot of ideas for interesting games in my head...

For some time I have thought about an RTS/RPG hybrid:
    The game is about evolution. At the beginning you control a bunch of animals with the size of an ant. Each time a new generation begins you make some changes in the genetic code, and with time your "ants" gets more abilities or just grows in size/gets faster
    Of course the same thing happens for the enemies, so you have to keep track on who wants to kill you and who you can kill (animals needs food you know)
    Survival of the fittest
    This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Another game I have in mind:

Ok, it's not actually a game, but more as an "addon" for the tycoon games where what you're doing is supposed to have an influence on the surroundings (like building restaurants, hotels or whatever)
      What I want added to those type of games is the ability to actually "change" what's going on outside of my bussiness from within my bussiness. This could be both positive and negative changes:
      Here's an example: We have a city, but there's no tourist attractions in the city so the (non-existant) hotels wont get many visitors. The player then builds a few attractions (like changing the dirty lake near some factories into a lake that attracts tourists) and builds a few hotels nearby. This adds a new income to the citys stores nearby while the enviroment gets better, but this also highers the traffic and crime in this area

Since these games (who uses the above idea) needs a pre-made open-ended scenario (of the city and the bussiness within) it should be possible to do this:
      Let's say each game begins in 1950 and ends in 2000. Each scenario has a "how would the city be in 2000 if the player didn't do anything" result, and when the time is up the player is told how much he changed in the city (like would there have been more crime or less crime if he didn't do what he did)

Kinda like in the back to the future trilogi where you see what happens if Biff has unlimited money and what happens if he doesn't have

Comment

MMRTS with a working and realistically sized chain of command and a serious and seamless strategic map and logistic links. There is no grand strategy like grand strategy commanding people.

Comment

Originally posted by Adagio
          I don't have 'a dream game', I have dream games. I have a lot of ideas for interesting games in my head...

For some time I have thought about an RTS/RPG hybrid:
          The game is about evolution. At the beginning you control a bunch of animals with the size of an ant. Each time a new generation begins you make some changes in the genetic code, and with time your "ants" gets more abilities or just grows in size/gets faster
          Of course the same thing happens for the enemies, so you have to keep track on who wants to kill you and who you can kill (animals needs food you know)
          Survival of the fittest
          This actually sounds rather cool. How do you envision these "changes to the genetic code"? Surely you don't mean that the player wil juggle around with guanine and cytosine?

Asmodean
          Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

Too many to list.

Comment

Originally posted by Asmodean
              This actually sounds rather cool. How do you envision these "changes to the genetic code"? Surely you don't mean that the player wil juggle around with guanine and cytosine?
              The way I see it:

It kinda works like the techtree in Civ, where some "changes" needs several other changes, but some changes makes other changes impossible (or just harder to get). Some changes might take more generations to become usefull. The player picks from a list of possible changes and it 'might' come true (there's a small risk that the new generation will have a change you didn't "order"... you can also have several picks like 40% chance to become larger and a 50% chance to get a tougher shield... the rest is unknown risk)

Here's a small example:

Let's say you want your animal to throw some kind of poison into the enemy when biting. To be able to do this you need several things:
              1) Some sharp teeth
              2) Some kind of poison (with several poisons to choose from)
              3) Be able to get the poison into the enemy from a bite

The first two can be "invented" individually, while the third one needs 1 and 2 before it becomes an option for the next generation

Though poison is not something you just get from one generation to another. Poison "evolves" too. At the beginning you might just "invent" some basic poison which just scares the enemy, but by "evolving" it there's a chance that by some later generation the poison is actually dangerous (for some animals). As soon as you have the basic poison you can "invent" the 3rd option, but it wont be that useable before the poison is more usefull...

This game will probably be tough to make, but I believe it could become very interesting if done right

Comment

fallout3

Comment

This is not a "what sequel do you want to see" but a "construction yard" for games

Though a sequel to The Settlers II would be nice

Comment

exactly. I want to construct fallout 3.

here's what I would like. post apocalyptic setting. I'd remove the turn based combat, but have a pausing feature similar to Baldur's Gate 2. And of course you start out with no weapons. I want a fully interactable environment. I want to be able to pick up a rake and use it as a weapon. Fallout should be about survival. You shouldn't find the good weaposn too early in the game.

I would still keep the top down view, but make it similar to NWN (adjustable camera angles). it would be a simulated 3d environment.

Comment

My ideal game involves simply nuking the crap outta stuff: Cities, countries, planets, stars. Also, crashing things into other things, like people, cars, ships, planetary bodies etc. No contrived plot, no secret mysteries, no hollow victories. Just sh*t blowing up.
                      The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Simple idea. But it sounds fun nonetheless.

Asmodean

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
                          exactly. I want to construct fallout 3.

here's what I would like. post apocalyptic setting. I'd remove the turn based combat, but have a pausing feature similar to Baldur's Gate 2. And of course you start out with no weapons. I want a fully interactable environment. I want to be able to pick up a rake and use it as a weapon. Fallout should be about survival. You shouldn't find the good weaposn too early in the game.

I would still keep the top down view, but make it similar to NWN (adjustable camera angles). it would be a simulated 3d environment.
                          Now why didn't you post that in your first post

Btw, I support the idea

Comment

Morrowind, with ueber graphics, on a 75'' screen, total graphic and sound immersion.

Comment

the graphics of Morrowind combined with the gameplay of Baldur's Gate 2, and the setting of Fallout, and the customability of NWN . If such a thing could possibly work.

Comment

Working...
                              X