Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are some good games I can get for free?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ascii graphics? Thanks, but no thanks! At least, there's a non-ascii version of Nethack. It takes some of the pain away. If I want a good roguelike game, I'll get Diablo 2. At least Blizzard got the gameplay right. But I don't want roguelike games, I can't stand them anymore. Even Diablo 2 bores me.
    Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Originally posted by nostromo
      Ascii graphics? Thanks, but no thanks! At least, there's a non-ascii version of Nethack. It takes some of the pain away. If I want a good roguelike game, I'll get Diablo 2. At least Blizzard got the gameplay right. But I don't want roguelike games, I can't stand them anymore. Even Diablo 2 bores me.
      Eh, comparing Diablo and Nethack is like comparing Civ and Age of Empires. For one thing I don't think you can call it a roguelike if it is not divided into turns.

Comment

Nethack and Diablo have a lot of elements in common. Kill the monster, collect the loot, pump up your stats, repeat. Btw, in the first stages of development, Diablo was turn-based, then they tried it in real-time. Voilà! I agree that Nethack is more complex than Diablo, but was is the point? After all, basically it's the same game: kill the monster, collect the loot, pump up your stats, repeat.
        But I have top admit that I tried Nethack like... 30 minutes, then I said to myself: there's no way I'll learn all these commands for... for what? A bloated version of Diablo? A game that bores me to tears?
        Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Nethack and Diablo have a lot of elements in common. Kill the monster, collect the loot, pump up your stats, repeat. Btw, in the first stages of development, Diablo was turn-based, then they tried it in real-time. Voilà! I agree that Nethack is more complex than Diablo, but was is the point? After all, basically it's the same game: kill the monster, collect the loot, pump up your stats, repeat.
          But I have top admit that I tried Nethack like... 30 minutes, then I said to myself: there's no way I'll learn all these commands for... for what? A bloated version of Diablo? A game that bores me to tears?
          I guess that is where we differ, adding more complex gameplay never makes me think 'So what?'. I played Diablo for maybe a week before being able to play it optimally, not accounting for reflexes. Once it gets to that point, the only reason to continue is for the (thin) plot, or the arcade action which can be found in hundreds of games. By contrast, I'm still fiddling with tactics and options in Nethack, after playing it for years.

Comment

Why bother with the non-ascii version ?? That's like taking Chess and adding super-fancy 3d graphics and battling pieces. Ok, looks fun for a while, but really pretty useless in the long run, i'll take the 2d version anyday.

(Or of course you could take the game, make it 3d, and then turn it into Checkers ... which is a pretty good comparison to Roguelike games transforming into Diablo.)

Diablo, btw, which is in no way shape or form a roguelike game. "Roguelike" describes a particular subset of ascii graphical games that are similar to the game Rogue, and have a similar style, command set, etc. They are dungeon crawlers, like Diablo, and undoubtedly someone was playing a bit too much Nethack when he suddenly thought, "Wow, Diablo!" and made Diablo - but the similarity ends there.

Admittedly I don't play much Angband anymore, just as a mindless diversion really, and I enjoyed Diablo (but not Diablo II as much, oddly) ... but I still find great distinction between the two.
            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

The best rogue-like game is Omega.
              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369

Why bother with the non-ascii version ?? That's like taking Chess and adding super-fancy 3d graphics and battling pieces. Ok, looks fun for a while, but really pretty useless in the long run, i'll take the 2d version anyday.
                I think he means the 2D non-ascii version. It uses little tiles to replace each ascii character. It makes Nethack perfect.

The lastest version of Nethack comes with both ascii and tiles interface.

-Jam
                1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

what the hell is roguelike?

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
                    what the hell is roguelike?
                    Roguelike FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike

Wow, didn't know that. Great game, though it has a steep learning curve, especially if you get no manual.

Apparently it was released without much fanfare. I was rather surprised myself when it popped up as an "old" news item at one of JA2 sites whilst looking for some new mods.

Oddly, I would have expected the JA2 source release to be shouted of the rooftops, it is a classic TBS. But hardly a word beyond the JA community. Even there it isn't really common knowledge.

You should also check out the source and read some of the comments in some of the modules. The ones about the motivation for the AI design are quite insightful.

As for a manual, you'll get just as far with a good FAQ/strat guide.
                      Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

System Shock 2 is free now, GTA1&2 are too, great games.
                        Most old games you can find somewhere on the web
                        "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                        "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

Old games:
                          Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                          I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                          Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Yeah System Shock 2 is well worth the download, even if it takes you a little while on 56K.

Comment

where can I find these games? system shock 2 and jagged alliance2

nethack. I've thought about it, but I do admit, I like graphics. Sure gameplay is always the most important. But non graphical games I can only play for an hour or two before they hurt my eyes. I'm not talking about top notch graphics here. Just sufficient graphics to get the job done. SMAC is an example of this.

Comment

System Shock 2 is available from the place I omitted to mention the other day in response to your question because the owners of this site look unfavourably on it.

JA2 (from what Cap says) is available in source code form. You may have to compile it, or whatever it's called.

Comment

Working...
                                X