No announcement yet.

FG: Galactic Overlord 8, Part 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smiley, I read the rule, and again do not have an issue with it the way it is worded now, I'm just saying that in my case it seems unfair and that the damage should be evenly split amongst the alliance members, that seems more fair to me, and it is what I was thinking when I voted for this change.

I also do not expect this to be changed in mid-game. I'm just trying to throw this up for refinement since I'm sure that this situation was not contemplated when the rule was written.
    We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

• I think the rule is fair and was applied fairly.

When is the deadline for orders?
      ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

• I think the rule as intended didn't envision that 3 allies would each send seperate types of ships. I started writing a defense of Spaced's case when I realized I disagreed with what I was typing.

If Spaced, Ljube and Paddy each sent a balanced fleet (L/F/T) then they each would have lost 10% of what they sent. Spaced lost 30% only because each alliance member sent one type of ship.

Have to wonder if Paddy and Ljube planned it this way ...perhaps Spaced should ask for a larger share of the bases?

/me
        "Clearly I'm missing the thread some of where the NFL actually is." - Ben Kenobi on his NFL knowledge

Comment

• The rule is fair. The unusual compositions of their fleets caused some allies to have an advantage over the other allies.

But it's not the role of the rules make sure that alliances are fair.
          "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

• Hey if everyone is okay with the way the rule is then so am I. I am just saying that I thought it was 10% per player, that is all. I was mistaken once on this and will not be again!
            We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

• And that is why I originally started to write in your defense, as that was my thought as well (that each player lose 10%), and I think that was the intention of the rule change.

I just don't think we need to change the rule again, I think we all need to take that into account in the strategy, and allow for the possibility that only one player could end out losing 30% (or more with more allies) rather then the 10% per player that would result with a balanced fleet.
              "Clearly I'm missing the thread some of where the NFL actually is." - Ben Kenobi on his NFL knowledge

Comment

• I think a new feature should be included in next GO: Ambush!

What we see now is that a single Overlord in defense has to bite the dust always when an alliance is knocking on his door and can't even rarely inflict real damage while fighting.

If a defensive Overlord could put an ambush in his (defensive) orders, he could for instance ambush the first attacking Overlord of an alliance when that one arrives on the so called converging spot (perhaps the first to give final allied orders on the GM). Let's say it gives double damage the first battle round. Also, since this tactic shatters a comprehensive communication with the other allied Overlord(s), those can't count on an allied assault any longer and must face the defender as well in turn with his own fleet by time the orders came in at the GM.

The end result will probably be the same, but at least the Murray of allied attacks is not so unrisky anymore.

Also, this Ambush feature shouldn't be possible every round an Overlord stays home. Only on the third turn he stays home (not three turns in a row) or something alike. The idea behind it is that an Overlord's fleet knows it's own turf better then an attacker, and can 'spot' him coming sooner if he had time to scout his 'land' in advance (hence the three turn limit).

This also avoids that an agressive alliance doesn't need to fear loss of ships in pitched battle anymore. There's the chance of a *SPLASH*, and the chance any given member of an alliance might face his opponent alone.
                He who knows others is wise.
                He who knows himself is enlightened.
                -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

• Originally posted by Skanky Burns
                  I take it that Moron and Geo attacked me, but Moron was spied on and hence couldn't impale his fleet on my mighty shield?

Did they not find it suspicious I wasn't building any shipping?
                  I just assumed you were smart and tricky ...
                  <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                  I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

• Originally posted by GeoModder
                    I think a new feature should be included in next GO: Ambush!

What we see now is that a single Overlord in defense has to bite the dust always when an alliance is knocking on his door and can't even rarely inflict real damage while fighting.
                    Hmm... interesting idea.

Possibilities i see:
                    1. Ambush may be used any turn as an order (just as Build Shield or Train Spy or whatnot), but must be targetted to a specific player. Gives you ability to defend against that player and that player only, and gives you a +50% or +100% bonus on your first round, not cumulative with Maneuver.

2. Using Ambush as a defensive alliance: You may not ambush anyone at your own planet, but other players may do so, coming to your planet and hiding behind a stray asteroid field, and attacking any incoming fleet (all members of the fleet) alongside the defenders. No bonus is given, the fact that you suddenly have to face three fleets instead of one is enough. This is just like an attack; can be done at any time.

Comment

• The "friendly ambush" thing might make things interesting, because attacking a single member of an alliance is more risky since you can't be sure which system is it that the alliance is concentrating its forces into.

If you can only either do this OR stockpile shields/spies OR attack, though, I don't think it'll be used that often. I'd rather use my ships to attack rather than have a stake out at a friends' place, even though it might act as a deterrent of some sort. If you can build a shield/spy and ambush on the same round, then perhaps, but altogether I think this might just complicate things a bit too much.

1. sounds a lot better, on the other hand. I think it may need to be a bit more spiffier on the bonus side (for instance, +100% and cumulative with maneuvre).
                      Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

• Well, you can't attack AND build a shield/spy can you? That was my reasoning there ... And i'm sure there will be ... situations ... when you want to defend an ally certain to come under attack

Perhaps you can *use* a shield at the same time as doing this (so you don't leave home undefended)?

Comment

• I agree with Spaced that each alliance member should lose 10% of their fleet, not the entire alliance fleet losing 10% wherever the damage may fall. The idea is that if you attack someone with a shield, you will get hurt. As it is now, you can use an alliance member as a meat shield.

Once battle is joined, I am fine with casualties falling where they may, but before they reach attacking range they should receive 10% damage each.
                          I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

• Using allies as meatshields is so much MORE Galactic Overlordesque

-Jam
                            1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                            That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                            Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                            Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

• The only good Ally is a dead/weakened Ally, Jamski?
                              He who knows others is wise.
                              He who knows himself is enlightened.
                              -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

• Originally posted by snoopy369

Hmm... interesting idea.

Possibilities i see:
                                1. Ambush may be used any turn as an order (just as Build Shield or Train Spy or whatnot), but must be targetted to a specific player. Gives you ability to defend against that player and that player only, and gives you a +50% or +100% bonus on your first round, not cumulative with Maneuver.

2. Using Ambush as a defensive alliance: You may not ambush anyone at your own planet, but other players may do so, coming to your planet and hiding behind a stray asteroid field, and attacking any incoming fleet (all members of the fleet) alongside the defenders. No bonus is given, the fact that you suddenly have to face three fleets instead of one is enough. This is just like an attack; can be done at any time.
                                When two people are left, I think ambush could get kind of broken.
                                "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Working...
                                X