Hello and game question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello and game question

Hello. I am new to Apolyton, but I have read and written on other forums.

I wish to ask if anyone here knows of any turn-based, multiplayer role-playing games. I and my friend have been wanting to play such a game for some time, and I really dislike action/real-time games.

Could anyone suggest a game such as this (preferably cooperative play)?

Thanks in advance,
    Etherlark

Is it even possible for a turn-based MMORPG?

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Nuclear
      Is it even possible for a turn-based MMORPG?
      He didn't say anything about a MMORPG, just one with multiplayer.

Comment

Turn based ... role playing game.

Hmmmm ... well, you might call Heroes of Might and Magic a turn based rpg ... I think it has turn-based elements to it anyway, been a loooong time. Also has non-rpg elements to it.

Not sure how you would do a turn-based RPG though (in the sense that Civ is turn-based), unless you meant turn-based as in a Roguelike, where you move then the monsters move etc., just a 'slow' rpg. Might and Magic in most of its versions pre-MM6 was turnbased in that sense; but also not MP.

I think there are some roguelike that were set up as multiplayer, but I never played any of them; probably one of the angband variants, for example.

Googled: Multiplayer Angband Mostly turn based, although turns pass without action by the player. Actually fairly MMORPG from what i can tell, as in it seems to have possibility of many players. Calls itself "realtime" but that just means turn-based while turns pass without your interaction.

I think some-but-not-all of the D&D games (baldur's gate, ie) were turn-based or sort-of-turn-based in this same way, ie you have a turn period to act in but turns pass without you acting. Can't tell you which though, it's been a long time ... but BG might have been, sort of at least, and might have had some multiplayer ability ...
        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Otherwise of course you could try this ...

And finally, there are a lot of good MUDs out there. Of course not graphical, but still quite fun, and quite role playable, and quite turn-based. Google for some; the Discworld MUD is pretty good, in a sense that it's funny at least , but there are certainly a lot out there.
          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

HOMM.

Comment

Yeah...HOMM is probably your best bet, but as posted it has non-rpg elements.

If you haven't played HOMM, you should try it though. It really is a great game.

Asmodean
              Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

Turn-based?
                RPG?
                Multiplayer?

I got a perfect match:

The Kingdom of Loathing (or KoL, as it has come to be known by its player base) is a free, comical RPG, brought to you by the folks at Asymmetric Games.

XBox Live: VovanSim
                xbox.com (login required)
                Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
                Spore page

Comment

There are plenty of turn based role playing games; from Fallout to console based ones like Fighting Fantasy and Disgae. Not sure about multiplayer component though.
                  Voluntary Human Extinction Movement http://www.vhemt.org/

Comment

I don't know of any

Although technically games such as Baldur's Gate I and II are turn based. And you can set up the autopausing to pause at the end of each turn. Neverwinter Nights uses turns, but they don't have the autopause ability to pause at the end of each turn (or round to be use the correct wording).

And there's Fallout:Tactics, but that's not really a RPG. It's a squad based combat game based in the fallout universe.

Comment

Temple of Elemental Evil is supposed to be decent co-op, and is a turn based (for combat) RPG. Think it has to be one machine though.

Comment

Kingdom of Loathing is turn-based. Once you level up enough, you'll be able to join clans and do PvP.
                        Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Re: Hello and game question

My recomendations would be Space Empires IV and Dominions 2.
                          Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Re: Re: Hello and game question

Originally posted by General Ludd
                            My recomendations would be Space Empires IV and Dominions 2.
                            SE IV....an RPG?

What have you been smoking??

Asmodean
                            Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Hello and game question

Originally posted by Asmodean

SE IV....an RPG?
                              Yes, and I'm quite sober.

What do yo think the "Biological Descritpion" "Society Disription" and "General History" fields are for, when making a new species?
                              Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Working...
                              X