No announcement yet.

ADnD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I played a lot of AD&D in my nerdier days. Then I tried to GM MERP, Call of Cthulhu and GURPS. But my GM days didn't last long. Then I stopped playing in part because these games are way too time consuming. Of course, I continued to play crpg's to get my rpg fix, but it's not the same thing. A few months ago, I had a little debate with Ludd (aka Osweld) about rpg's, and damn it (and damn you, Ludd!), I started to read again about the different rpg's on the market. I even downloaded GURPS lite and Ars Magica (you can download for free) RPG's are like crack...
    Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Top Secret heh. I mostly played solo RPGS such as Lone Wolf, Way of the Tiger, Freeway Warrior, Grey Star, Sagard the Barbarian, GrailQuest, Demonsword, Fighting Fantasy, and so many more.
      Who is Barinthus?

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
        I wouldn't mind getting into a group (if only to get some new friends). with a city with well over 1 million people, I would expect some players here. I'm not sure where to find them though. I've heard of game shops. Like in comic book stores and such. I never messed around with comic books since I couldn't afford them as a kid, plus they never interested me much. So I never got into that scene.
        We used to get all of our handbooks at the Forbidden Planet, so if you have anything like that in your city then just go in and ask the staff. Some of them probably play, and if you're lucky enough then you'll get invited to one or two trial sessions, just for them to see whether you're a psycho or not. Don't worry about trying to be accommodating here, just play in character. You'll get far more kudos for it.
        When I was a young'un my band of adventurers met some French exchange students in FP one day, and had some pretty lunatic adventures with them over the next month or so. A comic shop, or anywhere that sells the sourcebooks would be a better place to advertise than Jamski's newsagent's window (and there's far less chance that Jamski might see it ).

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Barinthus
          Top Secret heh. I mostly played solo RPGS such as Lone Wolf, Way of the Tiger, Freeway Warrior, Grey Star, Sagard the Barbarian, GrailQuest, Demonsword, Fighting Fantasy, and so many more.
          I don't really recall playing any solo RPGs, but I remember being in the 4th or 5th grade and ordering those books where you got to choose what actions you would take to change the course of the story. Surely some of you other old-timers remember these:

"If you want to flee the cavern, turn to page 14.

If you want to poke the dragon in the eye, turn to page 47."

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
            I wouldn't mind getting into a group (if only to get some new friends). with a city with well over 1 million people, I would expect some players here. I'm not sure where to find them though. I've heard of game shops. Like in comic book stores and such. I never messed around with comic books since I couldn't afford them as a kid, plus they never interested me much. So I never got into that scene.
            Check out both comic book stores and game stores, as there's usually a lot of overlap in both crowds and what they sell. Make up flyers with the games & groups you're interested in & contact info. See if they've got a bulletin board where you can post the aforementioned flyers. (I moved frequently for several years and had to do this to find new groups). You might also check websites for the companies whose games you want to play. Maybe there's something in their forums (fora?) where you can post a "looking for a game in the _____ area" message. Good luck in your search.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkCloud A game that really limits powergaming, I understand is: Mage: The Ascension (only played it 3 times)...
              I've only played M:tA a few times, but I can see how its system would limit some powergaming. Powergamers who use really powerful magic in the presence of non-mages would get lots of "Paradox" points, which would result in some nasty side effects.

Comment

Hmm... this is a bit of a non sequitur, but if you're interested in D&D but don't want to purchase the books- this site: http://www.geocities.com/sovelior/srd/home.html reproduces all the Open Game License rules. as does:
                Wizards of the Coast is a family of studios specializing in building role playing, trading card, and digital games for all genres of players.

---
                And, on second thought about Jon Miller's comments- I'll agree about one broken thing in D&D--> Prestige Classes... if your'e not in one, then you're a nobody...

The only way I think this can be fixed is if the DM gives Bonus Feats to regular classes at higher levels.
                ---
                GameGeek- Ah... the Paradox points- our bane

Jon Miller- Mage is a pretty good game, (though it's not my style since I don't want to mix modern with fantasy)... it basically takes place in the real world with magical (gates) into it...

(Of course, there's a lot more to it than that with the Technocracy and the Vampires and all, but my summary is all that you need to know.)
                -->Visit CGN!
                -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Originally posted by Barinthus
                  Those aren't really RPGs because you don't really play a role. I played the Lone Wolf series of books, and they were quite good. Though nothing compared to the paper-and-pencil game sessions.
                  (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                  (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                  (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Mage always did my head in, I could never understand the magic system. Im sure it would be a geat exercise for my my imagination if I could ever understand my limitations.

The fighting fantasy type books were fun when I was much younger, but I always ran out of fingers
                    Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

Originally posted by GameGeek

I don't really recall playing any solo RPGs, but I remember being in the 4th or 5th grade and ordering those books where you got to choose what actions you would take to change the course of the story. Surely some of you other old-timers remember these:

"If you want to flee the cavern, turn to page 14.

If you want to poke the dragon in the eye, turn to page 47."
                      Yeah like Pick-Your-Path and Choose Your Adventure books. When I discovered Lone Wolf and Fighting Fantasy, I lost interest in those since there were no combat and so on.
                      Who is Barinthus?

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

Those aren't really RPGs because you don't really play a role. I played the Lone Wolf series of books, and they were quite good. Though nothing compared to the paper-and-pencil game sessions.
                        I agree with you there, those were not technically true RPGs but they are a nice substitute if you don't know of anybody else who are interested in 'true' RPGs.
                        Who is Barinthus?

Comment

Originally posted by Snotty
                          Mage always did my head in, I could never understand the magic system. Im sure it would be a geat exercise for my my imagination if I could ever understand my limitations.

The fighting fantasy type books were fun when I was much younger, but I always ran out of fingers
                          Fingers, I'm not really following you there... oh you mean using fingers to hold places so you could retrace your steps?
                          Who is Barinthus?

Comment

Barinthus, test your luck!
                            If you succeed, go to page 36.
                            If you fail, go to page 145.

When I was young, I actually played with a pencil and dice, but when I got older, I just claimed that I won all of the battles, and automatically won all of the skill tests. I'm sure I'm not alone in this, right...?

I remember that the fantasy FF books were always better than the SF ones. My favourite was the third or fourth (?), City of Thieves, and my least favourite was the thirteenth (?), because it was quite hard. Well, for a youngish whippersnapper at least.

Comment

I have to admit cheating on the Skill Tests and winning all the fights and stil I found them really hard.

Heh, I want to get some from the library now and try again!

-Jam
                              1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                              That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                              Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                              Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

I never cheated at Fighting Fantasy. Honest.

Cheaters.
                                ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

Working...
                                X