ADnD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ADnD

Anybody here played it before, or actively play it?

I just started the beginners version this weekend with some friends. The DM and myself were the only two REALLY into it, but I htought it was teh w00t!.

Anybody got any handy tips, tricks, or strategies, or even general DnD discussion would be nice.
    Lysistrata: It comes down to this: Only we women can save Greece.
    Kalonike: Only we women? Poor Greece!

I used to play 1st Edition with family until we moved apart.
    Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

On a certain other side that shall remain nameless, we play a modified version of 1st ed. AD&D.
      ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

Re: ADnD

Originally posted by bipolarbear
        Anybody got any handy tips, tricks, or strategies, or even general DnD discussion would be nice.
        I have a tip for you: ROLEPLAY!

It's only fun going round and collecting stuff for a very short time, and if your approach solely concerns getting a bigger and better sword/suit of armour/pair of magic trousers/house/ego every time your characters adventure, then you'll get very bored very quickly and either go off roleplaying altogether, or grow up and start to enjoy your different characters.
        It's great having an elven wizard and a dwarven fighter in your party, because they're going to be pretty useful when the bad guys turn up, but it's even better having them in the party if they're both roleplaying properly, because they'll bicker all the time and make snide comments about one another. Besides, who says that you aren't the bad guys yourselves? You can have very very different games if your present the same character to different people and then encourage them to inhabit it because they'll play in different ways. Try to take different types of character in different adventures because you'll expand your range. It will turn out boring for everyone if all your characters are identikit human barbarians or whatever. So mix things around!
        Good luck!
        You've just started on what can be a very entertaining, highly rewarding hobby and I wish you the best in your adventures. As long as you don't take it personally when your character dies, or is robbed by another party memeber then it'll be fine. Remember it's just a game and enjoy yourselves.

Comment

I have played in a 3 and a 3.5 game and had a lot of fun in both (they were better than the GURPS and Paladium games I played) (but honestly the GURPS was only a singleshot so maybe I am not judging it right)

Jon Miller
          Jon Miller-
          I AM.CANADIAN
          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Biggest tip: don't piss off the DM.
            ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

A healthy, cynical attitude towards them is recommended though.
              Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

It sounds like we're talking about the old-fashioned, round-the-table, pencils-&-dice game here. After more years than I should probably admit to, I still play in a modified 1st ed game, when I can find the time between job, wife, and child. To my mind, tricks, tips, and strategies are secondary. I agree with duke o' york here: roleplay. Sure, it's fun to squash the orcs and to grab that Teakettle +2. But the real fun is in the playing. Sure the group will bicker and make some snide comments towards each other. As long as the bickering doesn't turn too ugly, that's part of it.

I usually try to balance the group out. While it can be fun to play, for example, a whole troupe of wizards-in-training, most well-balanced campaigns will require some muscle, some magic, some healing, and some outright thievery. Don't take it personally when a character dies. And, sooner or later, it will be necessary for that Lawful Good Paladin to stay behind and fight, and probably die, so that the rest of the party, and the Helpless Princess that they've rescued, can escape.

And don't be a DM that judges the success of a module by the body count. If you rack up corpses too fast, you'll lose all of your players eventually. Make the modules challenging, not impossible.

So that's my two-cents worth. . .

Comment

Originally posted by joncha
                  Biggest tip: don't piss off the DM.
                  Corollary: If you do happen to piss one off, try bribery. Pizza appears to be the currency of choice.

Comment

Welcome to the world of REAL gaming.

D&D > *

Oh, and we play a modified version of D&D on xxxx but if we get any more players we'll need to start another (4th?) party.

-Jam
                    Last edited by Jamski; January 25, 2005, 14:14.
                    1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                    That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                    Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                    Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

*cough*

I believe you're referring to "a certain other side that shall remain nameless", Jamski?
                      Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

I shall edit that url
                        1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                        That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                        Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!

Comment

Originally posted by Kassiopeia
                          A healthy, cynical attitude towards them is recommended though.
                          especially DMs with characters

JM
                          Jon Miller-
                          I AM.CANADIAN
                          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

as much as I know about D&D, most of it comes from computer games . I did play a little as a kid. But I only had 1 friend that was into it. I usually DM'd. But I wasn't that great a DM. I let him talk me into all sorts of ****. Needless to say, he was a pretty powerful cleric.

I generally prefer to play rather than DM, but could never find a DM. I didn't play much D&D as a kid. And I think I'm too old to play that today.

Comment

Nonsense. All the D&D players I know are in the 25-40 age bracket.

-Jam

Comment

Working...
                              X