Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World of Warcraft

Anyone else playing this?

I just picked it up a few days ago. It seems pretty cool so far. I'm still learning how everything works, but I really like it. There's a holiday theme in the world right now with Christmas trees in the big towns and a few related quests even. I guess there's an Ogre Santa Claus in one of the cities, but I don't have any way of getting there yet because I'm too low level still.

Also, for such a huge world, I have to say the game looks really nice. The time in the game world is also realtime, so if you load it up at night, it's dark outside, which is cool.
    "Luck's last match struck in the pouring down wind." - Chris Cornell, "Mindriot"

The game is awesome.

L26 Human Paladin, L12 Dwarf Hunter, and L6 Night Elf Druid.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Broken PvP and alliance/horde ruleset.

Neglected Roleplay community & Blizzard's attitude on roleplay/immersion in general.

Reliance on quests which are always the same.

Blizzard fanboys.
      Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Ludd

Comment

Originally posted by General Ludd
          Broken PvP and alliance/horde ruleset.
          What's broken? I play on a PvP server and don't have any problems with how it works.

Neglected Roleplay community & Blizzard's attitude on roleplay/immersion in general.
          If you want a game where you can roleplay being a fairy in tights, you need a headcheck.

There's a fineline between people /say'ing in game about "what loot u got" (which annoys me), and people going, "Goodday kind sir! I am Sir Mouthalot of the Eastern Kingdoms, son of Sir Sexalot of the Western Kingdoms and heir to the throne of Kumar! Might I examine your bag and see which riches you bring with you?" (also annoys me).

If you're referring to neglecting the latter, good on Blizzard. I'd rather they focus on their core audience and fun gameplay over weird people with fetishes and a penchant for "acting" with their keyboard. Perhaps they should consider LARPs or theatre, not video games.

Reliance on quests which are always the same.
          There is no reliance on quests, they're optional. And they're the most varied quests I've seen in a game like this.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Re: World of Warcraft

Originally posted by BustaMike
            Anyone else playing this?

I just picked it up a few days ago. It seems pretty cool so far. I'm still learning how everything works, but I really like it. There's a holiday theme in the world right now with Christmas trees in the big towns and a few related quests even. I guess there's an Ogre Santa Claus in one of the cities, but I don't have any way of getting there yet because I'm too low level still.

Also, for such a huge world, I have to say the game looks really nice. The time in the game world is also realtime, so if you load it up at night, it's dark outside, which is cool.
            My favorite part is simply how they focused on fun. There's not the huge drag later on in virtually ever other MMORPG game, there's no transportation issue (it's easy to move around everywhere), etc.

I was really astonished with the Griffon system when I first rode on one. The game is really beautiful, not because it pushes large amounts of polygons or tons of textures (it doesn't), but the art was designed around the engine's capabilities and it shows. It's immersive and beautiful, and even runs great in 1024x768 with max settings (minus anisotropic and pixel shaders) on my Radeon 7500 Mobility.

Comment

I'm on Argent Dawn, as I'm in it for the roleplaying

Aylan, lvl. 29 Paladin.
              I make movies. Come check 'em out.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                Ludd
                No ****... every single thread in the Other Games forum, Ludd makes some assinine remark about how he doesn't like it.

I think it's because he sucks at all games. That would explain why he was the only one who hated trash talking in Halo games in that old thread, not that he would play it anyway.

I see Ludd as a Barbie's Horse adventure type gamer. Pretty and pink with horsies and bunnies without the pressure of competition.
                "Luck's last match struck in the pouring down wind." - Chris Cornell, "Mindriot"

Comment

I am also playing on Argent Dawn - though not as much into role-playing as Zargon is (I have seen your postings on the World of Warcraft Argent Dawn forum Zargon hehe)

Alinas - Level 31 Human Mage

and Clian - Level 11 Human Paladin

Comment

As for those who actually play, I'm a lvl 13 Tauren Shaman on DeathWing right now. I still haven't made it out of the first area (doing every quest before going on). I don't really go for roleplaying at all, I like character building... finding the best combination of equipment and skills for your class to make him/her as tough as possible. That's why I liked Diablo 2, but this game is even better because it's not just a huge lootfest, there's actually things to do and significant changes when you reach higher levels (I can't wait to get one of those ****ed up rhino things, kodos I think, to ride around on). I really would like to get a mechanical ostrich, but my friends are all playing horde so I can't get one.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

What's broken? I play on a PvP server and don't have any problems with how it works.

If you want a game where you can roleplay being a fairy in tights, you need a headcheck.

There's a fineline between people /say'ing in game about "what loot u got" (which annoys me), and people going, "Goodday kind sir! I am Sir Mouthalot of the Eastern Kingdoms, son of Sir Sexalot of the Western Kingdoms and heir to the throne of Kumar! Might I examine your bag and see which riches you bring with you?" (also annoys me).

If you're referring to neglecting the latter, good on Blizzard. I'd rather they focus on their core audience and fun gameplay over weird people with fetishes and a penchant for "acting" with their keyboard. Perhaps they should consider LARPs or theatre, not video games.

There is no reliance on quests, they're optional. And they're the most varied quests I've seen in a game like this.
                      yes but is this a game just about levelling up?

Everquest 2 was my first MMORPG. It was fun for a little while, but I quickly grew bored of it.

Comment

Everquest sucks. I've never liked it, and EQ2 isn't any better.

FFXI also sucks.

They're games designed around being addictive, and not fun. WoW is about character building mostly, but it's a good ol' fashioned RPG. It's very fun when you play with friends. All of my coworkers and RL friends are on the same server, so we always party together. The reason I've got 3 active characters is because then I have one around all their levels to play with.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

I have a lot of sympathy with this viewpoint.

Comment

Waiting for EU release (grr at non-synched world release) at the moment. Played a bit of EU closed beta (20 tauren Druid) till the guy whose account it was sold it (he's my guildie from DAoC, couldn't let him not make $500 for a beta key), then played US Open for a bit (32 Dwarf Warrior), and am now waiting for EU Open in a week or two and then release.

I think from what i've played, that it deserves all the plaudits it's getting. I tried some EQ2 but the comparison is so in WoW's favour it isn't funny. Basic premise is this: WoW is fun to play, fun to level in. EQ2 feels like a job, trying to make things hard so people won't get to the end game fast or have fun (being logged in to sell your trade goods? you're kidding right?).

Comment

Originally posted by lightblue
                              Waiting for EU release (grr at non-synched world release) at the moment.
                              I feel your pain.

Comment

Working...
                              X