City of Heroes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• City of Heroes

I don't know what's gotten in to me lately, but for the past month or so I've been craving a MMORPG to play.

I've looked at EQ2 and WoW, but I feel both are broken to the point of being unplayable - EQ2 because (despite dividing the world into good and evil) it does not have any PvP what so ever. Not even duels. WoW is similiarily flawed in it's PvE and RP severs only with the added stupidity of not even being able to communicate with the other side, let alone fight them (but atleast it does have the theoretical option of PvP in there still) and in it's PvP servers by not having any purpose or reason to fighting other players. Both games have made half-assed implementations of the game concept - They've try to bring an air of epic war and conflict to the game, but are afraid of allowing PvP and end up just dividing the players into meaningless sides that have no reason or purpose.

I've also looked back at DAoC, and while it's still appealing to me, and I have to say it's probably the most well made and all around best MMORPG out there, it's dated. The population has shrunk while the world has grown, the community has become more introverted and close-knit, and no longer need to start new characters at level 1 (anyone with a level 50 character can start new ones at level 20) and the "economy' has probably run-dry. It's not very appealing to start anew in such a game.

So now I'm thinking about City of Heroes. I know there's no PvP in the game... but it doesn't really require it... that is, untill city of Villains is released (which will include PvP from what I understand). I've heard alot of good thigns about the game. I've downloaded a character planner and played around with some possibilities, and the character development seems like it could be alot of fun. And for a roleplayer it's probably one of the better choices for MMORPG because of the setting - even if people around you aren't roleplaying, they won't neccisarily be breaking the atmosphere as much as they would be in a fantasy game. (Although I'd be interested to know what the roleplaying community is actually like in the game - and if there are any roleplay servers or whatnot)

So... for those of you who play the game. Convince me to buy it.

Or better yet, convince me not to buy it. Tell me all your biggest complaints, the most common gripes, all the things people rant about. That's usually a better way to gauge a game, I find.
    Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

I am playing it again at the moment. The new stuff they have added in issue 2 does improve the game and give it a little more longevity. Issue 3 will be released shortly with a few new areas and other stuff.

They do deserve credit for trying a new approach. Essentially there is no loot, tradeskills or anything really, except combat and badges (added in issue 2). People either love this, because the combat is admittedly great fun, or loathe it as the game is too streamlined for their tastes.

I am sure you could play this prefectly happily for up to 3 months. I still don't see myself playing it for long stretches of time.

Up to you really.

Comment

I know this is a bit off the track here, have you considered Shadowbane? It seems like it'd be a good one.
      Who is Barinthus?

Comment

Yeah, I played Shadowbane for a good while. I enjoyed it alot even though there was quite a bit wrong with. But regardless, it's unatractive to me for similiar reasons as DAoC, only I imagine that it's probably aged even worse.

Do It Ourselves

Comment

But I thought there was more people here that played City of Heroes.

If they aren't playing anymore... maybe I can use their cdkey/account?

Do It Ourselves

Comment

A friend was really into this for 2 weeks, then got bored of it...
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Played it a lot for 4 months. I loved the soloability and the instanced areas that allow you to really feel like your team is the only one around that can do a job, but ultimately the no-frills experience becomes too repetitive. Still, there are virtually no single player games that survive 4 months of steady play either.
              To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
              H.Poincaré

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                A friend was really into this for 2 weeks, then got bored of it...
                that was like me

I had a freind who was into it for a month

JM
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN
                GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I'd sure like to try it, but can't afford to pay on a monthly basis to play a game. I don't want to pay a high price per month, and I don't want to buy several months for a cheaper price, just to discover that you get tired of it after a few weeks
                  This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Working...
                  X