X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok.
    I like this.
    Very much.

Had a major stuff-up when I tried to load in a save game and found that all of them gave ctd's. Ouch. Tried to start a new game and got a ctd. Double ouch.
    Uninstalled, reinstalled and got another ctd. Hmm.
    Restarted computer then fired it up and it worked just fine.
    I'd forgotten that I'd puttered around with (spit) 'Star Trek Armada' earlier in the day and gotten a ctd (as can happen rather frequently with that Activision-spawned piece of garbage), and that I'd fired up VtM:B without restarting.
    Oh dear.
    Bonehead of the year award goes to ravagon and it's only a few days old.
    Many apologies to the Troika crew for all of those less-than-pleasant thoughts I thunk about you.

Well, anyway, restarting gave me a new lease on life, so to speak. ie: I knew to be more careful with the keys this time.
    I still don't know quite why they put the 'feed' hotkey adjacent to one of the movement keys - rather disconcerting when you're trying to move and suddenly have security guys blazing away at you after you accidentally try to feed off some hapless passerby ('It was the beast that made me do it officer, honest') and then you have police cars pulled up outside and their guys hunting you everywhere.

I'm still in Santa Monica, which is disappointingly small (I hope the downtown, etc, areas are a bit larger) but still has a surprising amount of depth. Lots of bits'n'pieces to find. The computer hacking and lockpicking skills seem to be invaluable.
    (Note: None of the computers in the game seem to use a windows interface. )
    After about 12 hours playing time I've wandered through most of the first area, been given about a dozen 'tasks' and completed 3 of them. Several would seem to take me into other areas.
    Haven't done too much fighting yet, no other kindred at least - a band of ganger-types being the toughest, but I've met a particularly irritating ghoul (Kine blood-bonded servant) and already heard rumours about a Kuei-Jin (Chinese Vamp - very cool) and a Garou ( You've got to be kidding me! They can't throw neonates against one of those??!!).

I'd still prefer to play as a Lasombra (or perhaps an Assamaite?) but my Tremere witch will do for now. Haven't even used Thaumaturgy yet either.
    Again,

Comment

Got it today. I like it a lot so far. And it plays fairly well at 1280x1024, except for those damn hiccups, that is. I have an Athlon 64 3000, with 512 Mb Ram and a ATI Radeon 9550 with 256 Mb ddr.
      Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

One thing you have to do on your second or third play through is play a Malkavian. It's so fun.
        "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
        "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
        "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
        "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Malkavian all the Way :=)

So comments on the Haunted House Part
          Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Comment

I'm playing as a Malkavian and I'm having a ball. Overall, its one of the best RPGs I had the pleasure to play. Unfortunately, like others mentioned, it has technical problems. The loading screens are too frequent and too long.
            A question about the page file. According to the read me, the game needs a 1,5 gig page file. In my performance options, it says that the paging file is 768 MB. If I click on "change", it says its set to 'custom', the initial size being 768 MB, and the maximum size being 1536 MB. Should I change it? should I set it to 'system managed'?
            Last edited by Nostromo; January 10, 2005, 21:08.
            Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Go for 1.5 gig for a probable performance increase if you have the room.

Comment

Go for 1.5 gig for a probable performance increase if you have the room.
                I have plenty of room. Now, how do I set it up? Do I set it to 'custom', then set the initial size to 1536 MB? Or do I set it to 'system managed'?

I just downloaded the Half-Life 2 demo last night. Its the best looking game I ever saw. Period. Like Ramo pointed out earlier, Half-Life 2 looks better and runs a lot smoother than Vampire. That's the downside of borrowing somebody else's engine, I suppose. But, ultimately, Vampire is more fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Main_Brain

So comments on the Haunted House Part
                  Finished it not so long ago.
                  Brilliant.

It did feel a bit like a 'maze' I guess, tending to wind around in a bit of a convoluted fashion, but overall it was great.

One query - I just finished a task in Downtown and, along with the quest completed and XP gained messages I got another one about 'masquerade redemption'?
                  Does this indicate the anulling of a masquerade violation (if indeed I'd had one in the first place)?
                  If so have I screwed up and 'wasted' it or do you get several chances to redeem yourself throughout the game?

Comment

One query - I just finished a task in Downtown and, along with the quest completed and XP gained messages I got another one about 'masquerade redemption'?
                    Does this indicate the anulling of a masquerade violation (if indeed I'd had one in the first place)?
                    If so have I screwed up and 'wasted' it or do you get several chances to redeem yourself throughout the game?
                    I was also wondering what 'masquerade redemption' meant.

Comment

Basically if you complete a quest that covers up a masquerade violation (like killing someone who talks to much) you'll get a redemption which removes a violation.
                      "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Here is Johnny!

I went over to a Friend who's playing it too, but with a female char (Prolly for the 'Sex Scenes') and I have to say:
                        Non- Malkavian Characters are not even close regarding the Comments & Dialogue Options ;=)

I really dig them 'My Name is Rodriguez Nine'
                        -What happened to One to Eight?

The Masquerade Redemption is not really useful to me
                        There seem to be some Quests that cost Masquerade but I have not seen them yet. Dont worry though, there are several Opportunities to get Redemption.
                        Last edited by Main_Brain; January 14, 2005, 06:27.
                        Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Comment

Well, the easy way to do a number of things is just get a Masquerade violation.

Comment

I'm playing with a Malkavian. He's fun, but he's also a sissy when it comes to fighting. Its a bit frustrating.

Spoiler:
                            For example, Theresa Locke gave me a hard time. I don't think I could have killed her without all those bloodpacks.

There's also an irritating bug: in the middle of a fight, your character suddenly looks at the ceiling. Grrr...

Comment

FWIW, here's what I think of the game so far...

Story and dialogue: 10/10 - The best story and dialogue I've seen in a long, long time. Nuff said!

Gameplay: 8/10 - Compared to Splinter Cell, the stealth part of the game feels old school, with all those ventilation shafts conveniently placed, even in apartments. But I'm probably asking for too much. And I'm not sure about the melee combat yet. Either I'm bad at it, or its hard to master. I sometimes wish there was a way to lock on your opponent, like in Fable.

Graphics: 8/10 - Very good overall, but it doesn't have the polish of Half-Life 2. Probably because they didn't have Valve's ressources or know-how. However, it's still one of the best looking RPG around.

Sound: 9/10 - Very good overall, especially the music and voice acting.

Technical: 6/10 - Loading times are way too long and frequent. (I heard it's also a problem with Half-Life 2.) And, judging by the hiccups that occur after loading screens, it seems that the loading screens are not long enough. These damn loading screens constantly take you out of the action. Loads and loads of bugs. Some people have reported memory leak problems.

Total: 8,2/10

Bottom line, It's a very good game, but it could have been an amazing game, even a classic. Its a flawed gem. Imagine the same game, but with Blizzard-style polish! Unfortunately, Troika doesn't have Blizzard-style ressources.

Comment

I loved the game. Not noticing it had come out until it was on special offer at Xmas for £9.99 was a bonus. Its a little too short and linear to make me want to go through it as too many different vampire types, but a replay as a Malkavian or a Nosferatu is a definite must.

One little criticism
                                Spoiler:
                                The plot felt a little too similar to Deus Ex to be truly satisfying, but that is still a thousand times better than rerunning the whole amnesia gig again

On the strength of this I really hope they do a game on the Wereeolf: the Apocalypse IP.
                                To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                                H.Poincaré

Comment

Working...
                                X