Mmorpgs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mmorpgs

I used to be really into MMORPGs, but it's been a while since I've played any... and I'm kind of out of the loop now.

But I was considering playing again.... but I don't know which one to start playing, if I do decide to.

I'm first inclined to say EverQuest... partly because it has alot of nostalgia for me, and also partly because the roleplay server it has is exactly what I'm looking for (no common language, open pvp, ect...) but then I remember what a crappy game EQ is at it's core, and also how many ****ing expansion packs I'd have to get. (I only have the original game and there's... what, 6 expansion packs?)

Then there's City of Heroes. I've heard nothing but good thigns about it.... but there's no PvP. :boring: Maybe when the city of villains expansion comes out I'll be interested.

Aside from that... I can't think of any that really appeal to me. I know not many people here play MMORPGs, but maybe someone here who's atleast been following them some more can fill me in on what's been happening with the games, or recomend a good one.
    Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

uhh, everquest 2 comes out in less than 2 weeks. no sense going to eq1. But that game has no PVP either.

WOW comes out before christmas (probably), that does have pvp, but will probably have less roleplay.

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
      uhh, everquest 2 comes out in less than 2 weeks. no sense going to eq1. But that game has no PVP either.

EQ2 looks like crap from everything I've seen.

I'm more inclined to play the first. Hopefully with the release of EQ2, the expansions for EQ1 will become more accessable.

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Dark Age of Camelot is fun. They have a pretty good pvp system too.
        "

Comment

Yeah, I had alot of fun with DAoC too. It just doesn't really appeal to me now, though. The faction system ahs lost it's appeal with me, I think.... although I heard there's been some changes. And the roleplay servers had already deteriorated to being hardly different than any other server when I was playing. I can only image what it's like now.

Do It Ourselves

Comment

why do you say EQ2 is crap? It looks kind of good from their website, but I have not played the first. I am worried about the system requirements though. i only have 512 megs of ram. and a 128 video card.

I am curious about EQ1 though. Why is that better than EQ2? And if I were to play it, how much would it cost to buy the game and expansions? It's bad enough you pay a monthly fee, you'd think think the game price would be cheaper.

Comment

Well, I haven't really been following EQ that closely, but the problems as I see it:

1. Horrible graphics. All the screenshots look like some cheesy fantasy rendering done by a wanna-be artist.

2. It's "mainstreamed" for the general EQ fanbase. What made EQ good was the servers with unique rules - the PvP server, team PvP servers, and the roleplay server. The attractions that these servers had have been ignored in the development of EQ2, while all the issues from the mind numbingly boring and monotonous regular servers take precedence.

For instance, one of it's key features is to have more metropolitan cities - instead of the many scatterings of settlements unique to each raqce across the world, there are two giant cities.... one good and one evil ( and yet "There are currently no plans for player vs. player combat in EverQuest II." )

But that was one of my favorite things of the first! - The variety of cities, the uniqueness of each race, and the potential to create PvP based around the individual races, or alliances and factions made up of them. And I personally think it adds to the sense of adventure and travel to have many small cities, rather than 2 big ones.

They're also focusing on introducing features like an anti kill-stealing mechanism where once you or your party attack a creature, that engagment is locked and no one else is able to attack the monster without your consent. Basically, they're condensing everything that made EQ bad - all the nonsensical and out of character gaming mechanisms that cater solely to the care-bear / camper mentality, while tossing out all the good things it had.

Do It Ourselves

Comment

How does WoW look to you guys?

Comment

WoW looks great. My flatmate is beta testing it

Graphics look great, kinda cartoony in the typical warcraft way but its cool.

Main gameplay from what my flatmate says is that it is great.

Very generic comments I know, but I haven't played it myself yet.

Comment

yeah I'm not the biggest fan of warcraft graphics. In fact, I've never played the warcraft games. I don't like the cartoonish look, but oh well.

I trust blizzard. They did good with diablo2. Although that really isn't an rpg. But they know how to make a game fun.

Comment

Any thoughts I had of going back to EQ where crushed when I went to some forums to check out how the community was these days and read things like "It's taken me 4 years to get to level 66" Gods, nothing has changed. And to think I was tempted to go back to that horrible game....

But on the plus side, DAoC is offering a 14 day "come back and play" offer where they'll reactive your account for the duration. I look forward to seeing what they've done with the realm vs realm combat.

I wonder how my old character build has faired with all the changes that have no doubt happened while I've been gone.

Do It Ourselves

Comment

as for EQ2, they only start with 2 cities, but they said the rest will be a surprise. There could be many small cities throughout the land. I'm sure there will be. And being an online game, they can alway change things later if the fans don't like it. Yeah it's kind of newbie friendly to have everyone start in 1 of 2 places. But you have to admit, it does make finding a party with characters of different races easier. Of course I've never played the first one, but I can't imagine travelling across open terrain with a level 1 character is safe.

A few other things I'm not sure I'll like. Not being able to pick a character class until level 10. I think you can pick an archetype at level 3 (I may have to check again). I really want to start off as a Shaman at level 1. I'm still not sure which race I want. Either dwarf or high elf. I roleplay dwarves easier, but high elves seem to have the best stats to be a priest. I see what they are getting at. They want to eliminate the whole long process of creating a character at the start of the game. But I like to be able to identify myself as something even when I'm level 1. I don't want to be like everyone else. Hopefully it doesn't take too long to get those first levels.

Comment

RP a Dwarf?
                          Easy: Be Drunk, love Gold, hate Elves
                          ;=)

As far as I understood the 'choose Type later' Thing it seems that some players chicken at the thought of spending Skillpoints 'false'
                          Alot like the 'omg the changed the Skeletons in Diablo 1. XX all my 25 levels spent on Skeleton Mastery are wasted' Diskussions really
                          :=)
                          Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Comment

For the last few months I have been researching and playing MMORPGs and NWN PW, so I have a few thoughts. Personally I think the older MMORPGs aren't worth joining now, and the last generation don't appeal to me.

WoW:

1) Seems great from beta feedback, and I will get it when it comes out.

2) Blizzard don't make bad games.

3) Level speed is supposed to be geared towards not having to play 40+ hours a week.

4) The Warcraft universe is well fleshed out and interesting if you like fantasy.

5) Possible bnet leet kiddies. Not so good, but you have to find good people to play with in any MMORPG.

EQ2:

1) Looks (graphically ) fantastic.

2) No PvP on release, although it will probably be added. PvE was always the focus of EQ though.

3) There is a lot of suspicion about SoE, as Star Wars Galaxies was almost universally derided.

CoH:

1) Amazing fun for the first month or 2. The combat is great.

2) Rather dull after the first month or 2. The game has little longevity, though they are adding stuff, with CoV coming in the new year.

3) Level speed is sloooow post 25 (with 50 cap).

FF: Haven't played it but consensus is:

1) Grindy

2) Jobs system is good

3) Forced grouping is (insert subjective viewpoint here)

Of the 2001ish games (DAoC, AO) many feel like the games have gone in bad directions with expansions. Obviously you can't please everyone, but DAoC p1ssed off lots of people with ToA by having all the best equipment by far available from ToA areas, with EQ style camp based gameplay to get it. Equally AO's expansions get more opposition than support.

AC2 has reasonable support, but no players.

The first generation games are hard to get into with a new char.

An interesting choice with open PvP and a player based economy is Eve, which people seem to love or hate. Does mining, heavy guild based gameplay, skills based progression instead of level float your boat? I've played this a little on my mate's comp and it is refreshingly different.

Comment

I have played DAoC for a few years now, but am getting bored with it. Play on the full PvP server mainly though, i was never too much of a fan of the opted gank squads running on the RvR servers.

Played some WoW beta, and it does look quite good. You can level without grinding mobs, just by questing, which is a nice and novel thing in level based MMORPGs. PvP is so-so atm, but i reckon it will get better once the next patch comes in (honour system reducing the lowbie ganking that is common place nowadays). I will probably play it when it goes retail.

Comment

Working...
                              X