Since Half Life 2 is almost out, maybe it's time I tried Half Life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Since Half Life 2 is almost out, maybe it's time I tried Half Life

I mean, since I got it at a thrift store, cheap.

and since I just got a PC Gamer which gave HL2 the highest score ever.

I just have some reservations....

First, difficulty. I suck very, very hard at shooters. Even with lots of reloads, I was never able to get very far in Duke3D. I'm wondering if there's a "daddy, can I play?" difficulty level so I can enjoy without being a shooter vet.

Second, I'm wondering just how long it takes to get through the single player game. Since I only play for an hour a day or so, will it take several months to play through on my own crappy playing level?

When I played the demo (half life uplink), there was a training course I could never get the hang of. Some of these maneuvers require some odd keypresses and I never could seem to get the hang of it. This is why I play TBS games, as they don't require reflexes.

Any advice on this matter?
    Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
    ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

A five-button mouse helps with shooter games if you can't do weird keypresses.

Use it if you get stuck. There are some weird puzzles that can be confusing.
    "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

If you have trouble with single player shooters on the easiest levels you are hopeless. Seriously think of shooters like a TBS game. You can overcome bad reflexes by tactics and strategy. Certain weapons are best used vs certain enemies. There are also basics like learning how to abuse AI stupidity like in any other game. You also need to be methodical and find all the secret areas with extra ammo, etc. Learning to use positioning to your advantage. Attack from elevated positions if possible and avoid being attacked from them, etc.
      Eschewing obfuscation and transcending conformity since 1982. Embrace the flux.

Comment

On easy it's very easy, you'll be fine. It will take you about 25 hours first run through.

You should check this iconic game out.

Comment

Thanks For the walkthrough link, Jaguar. Downloading it now.

I guess I'll give it a shot, What's the worst that could happen?

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...

Comment

A walkthrough and you havent even started yet?!?!
            Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
            CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
            One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

Only use a walthrough if you are really stuck and have no idea where to go next. Otherwise you'll waste some good gameplay!

Half-life is really easy. I finished it in a weekend on hard level. It's easy because very often you'll encounter marines which have a decent AI. Problem is that it's just that what makes it easy.... Enemies coming at you in great number with some nasty attacks can get you killed pretty quickly, but those marines just hide and cover eachother. It's rather easy to find a weak spot, throw a grenade here and there. Also very often you will hear them speak (in scripted events). They sometimes give valuable info, but it's just easy to blast them instead while they're off-guard

The monsters you will fight in the game are usually not very numerous so they don't pose a real threat . Except for the last level(s) (in the black mesa). On hard they're a real *****, especially if you're not used to shooters, you'll just have blast your way through. Spamming your secondary rifle/shotgun helps to clear the path

PS: Don't ever stand still in a shooter game. Try the strafe left/right buttons first. Once you get the hang of that you'll be good enough, even if your aim is not that great
              "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
              "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

PS: about HL2: That 98% score is ridiculous. The graphics aren't revolutionary anymore with some of the other advanced games out there. What's worse is that there's no new multiplayer included!! Yeah there's Source but that's a load of bollox if you don't like CS, and on top of that it's just a gfx update and nothing else... even the gfx update is sloppy: It uses the same textures as the original CS, which were horribly crappy!!!!!!!!!

Of course I haven't played the SP yet so that might be a great experience. On the other hand like most other games around today it doesn't take awfully long to finish the game from what I've heard...
                "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie

Comment

PC Gamer staff just cream themselves over FPS games and have no tolerance for anything that isn't mainstream for the 13-23 set. I don't trust their reviews at all. In the latest (UK) issue the arrival of 2 games they liked saw all the rest of the reviews compressed to the point where they had no room to say anything at all. My subscription is definitely not getting renewed.
                  To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                  H.Poincaré

Comment

PC Gamer was bound to give a high score, as Valve gave them exclusive rights. I'm excited about no MP though - that means that the SP game will be alright, hopefully.

The original HL is good. Damn good. It feautures a nice story that is very well-told, a special atmosphere and is all-around good. As far as my preferences go, there could maybe be a few less puzzles in the game, especially jumping ones. One level was completely dull, but rather short... overall, it's an excellent experience.
                    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
                      PC Gamer was bound to give a high score, as Valve gave them exclusive rights. I'm excited about no MP though - that means that the SP game will be alright, hopefully.

The original HL is good. Damn good. It feautures a nice story that is very well-told, a special atmosphere and is all-around good. As far as my preferences go, there could maybe be a few less puzzles in the game, especially jumping ones. One level was completely dull, but rather short... overall, it's an excellent experience.
                      On the contrary, it means they were running short on time so they cancelled the mp altogether... and that's never a good sign. Oh well doubtlessly HL2's a good game I guess, even without playing it you just know it's pretty good

Comment

Well, they were indeed not ahead of the schedule, heh, but they got Counter Strike:Source as the MP component. Deathmatch is not going to be in, only as mods later. I won't be playing Counter Strike:Source anyway either, that bored me after two hours I spent playing to look at the engine... as with most shooters, I don't care about multiplayer here, as this one luckily has a nice SP campaign. My multiplayer shooter needs are nicely covered by one tactical team-based online shooter and one team-based and objective-based intense shooter.

Comment

OK, so I loaded it up and went through the tutorial. I tried to make it through the tutorial without dying, but to no avail. I managed to get through by use of numerous reloads. Then I started the game.

Sure is nice looking, I must say. The first part was pretty easy, as there were no enemies. It took me a while of wandering around the facility to find the locker room, and by that time I'd forgotten where they told me to go afterward. In my locker was some stuff, but no suit. Hmmmnnnnn....

I eventually found the HEV suit and figured out how to get to it I was thinking to myself, "this is like an adventure game!".

I went to the test site and into the chamber, and up to the platform they told me to, I thought how much I needed a doctorate to push this here button. but it's a game, what the hey. So I pushed the button and leaned over the rail to watch the show.

After watching for a few moments, I heard the techs yelling at me to do something else. I heard one comment, "What is he Doing in there?". I actually felt sheepish about it and went down to do my thing.

Holey Moley!! I know it's part of the show, but I was pretty caught up in it.

This game seems to do a good job of getting me involved in things. good reccomendation, all

Comment

Glad to see you're enjoying this. Now imagine how immersive and capitvating it was back in late 1998/early 1999, when the graphics were among the best in the industry.

Yeah, the first time, you can get stuck even early on, hehe. Mind you, a few puzzles later on may become frustrating - that's my only gripe with the game, a few specific puzzles. Oh, you can also encounter a bug where you can't progress... I won't be saying anything specific, but it's you freezing and dying in an elevator. If that happens, or any other trouble, post here.

Comment

like all other FPS games, save often..

Comment

Working...
                              X