No announcement yet.

Xbox 2 news

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you ask me, current DVDs have plenty of storage space as it is. Anyway, aren't hd-dvd and blu-ray players über expensive?
    Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

They are right now, but so were DVD players when that was the new thing.

And it's not just storage capacity that is fueling the change from DVD.

DVDs right now lack the ability to show true High Definition - in other words, the DVDs are limiting the quality, not televisions or consoles. You can get better quality watching HD satellite, than DVDs.

Comment

Next gen consoles are due out next year, or so they say. And hd-dvd and blu-ray will not become mainstream anytime soon. (Maybe five years from now, if they ever become mainstream.) So their prices will not come down anytime soon, not soon enough for the next gen consoles. I don't know how Sony will pull this off.

DVDs right now lack the ability to show true High Definition - in other words, the DVDs are limiting the quality, not televisions or consoles. You can get better quality watching HD satellite, than DVDs.
        Yes, movies are limited at 480p. But not games. You can play some current Xbox games at 480p, 720p or even at 1080i (Dragon's Lair) if you want. Xbox 2 will fully support high-def games. You just won't be able to watch hd-dvd's with it.
        Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Originally posted by nostromo
          Doesn't IBM have important yield problems for G5s?
          At 2.5GHz @ 90nm, yes.

The plan is to have the chips @ 65nm, IIRC. They're also adding stuff like strained silicon @ 65nm, which helps.

The problem isn't so much with the yields, but with Apple promising to have 3GHz G5s by summer, and the chips not wanting to scale very well -- forcing IBM to overclock them to 2.5GHz, which not many chips can do.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Verto
            There would be little point in coming out when an Xbox2, then, since PS3, using Blu-ray, would boast games that could run circles around anything Microsoft had.

Blu-ray discs could have anywhere from 2x-10x as much storage space as current DVDs; Sony is also working on a lens that would be backwards compatible and read DVDs.
            I'd be surprised if Sony carries through with putting blu-ray on their consoles. The cost would be prohibitive.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

I'd be surprised if Sony carries through with putting blu-ray on their consoles. The cost would be prohibitive.
              I'd be surprised if they didn't.

Comment

well, well, well... it seems the HD-DVD association wants Xbox2 on board

NEC and Toshiba are trying to persuade Microsoft to use their next-gen media format for the next-gen games console.

TOKYO--The HD-DVD association is attempting to persuade Microsoft to adopt its media format for use in the next Xbox console, Bloomberg Japan reported today. The news was revealed today during the Combined Exhibition of Advanced Technologies Conference by Ryoichi Hayatsu, chief of Storage Division 1 at NEC.

"Microsoft is competing around first or second place in the North American [game] market," Hayatsu said. If the format were to be adopted for the next Xbox console, the association could "expect mass production [of HD-DVD reading units], which will lead [the format] to have a stable price from an early stage."

The HD-DVD association is competing to take the lead on the next-generation media standard against the Blu-ray Disc Founders association, which has made some major strides in recent weeks. Sony, a member of the Blu-ray Disc Founders association, announced last month that it will adopt the Blu-ray format on its next-generation game console succeeding the PlayStation 2.

Comment

Boooo!

Microsoft, go Blu-ray!

Comment

I'm kinda happy with my xbox.

Not only does it have a couple of decent titles, but it also gives me comfort that i can brain any would-be burgler/house breaker with it.

I wont be buying an xbox2 even if it had super-greenRay of death
                    Heck my VHS player still shows a good enough movie.

Now if the xbox2 had a load of killer games that promised more than 12 hrs of gameplay(for example) - then i might reconsider
                    'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

Heck my VHS player still shows a good enough movie.
                      I use my Xbox for watching DVD's. It's pretty good. Its a lot better than VHS. You should try it! That said, I also don't care about high definition DVDs: like most people, I can't afford a high definition tv set.

Comment

Yep, with the price of an XBox being what it is, you could *almost* buy one as a DVD player and regard the games console as a freebie.

Comment

Originally posted by reds4ever
                          Yep, with the price of an XBox being what it is, you could *almost* buy one as a DVD player and regard the games console as a freebie.
                          except you can get a decent dvd player for 50 bucks. Granted, won't have the frills. And you can get a crappy one for 30

Comment

ergo *almost*

Comment

Working...
                            X