Xbox 2 news

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xbox 2 news

First, it seems it will be backwards compatible after all. According to Gamespot:

The Xbox 2 will use Virtual PC 7 for backward compatibility for original Xbox games. According to Geek.com's Apple Insider subsection, the reason for the delay of the latest version of Virtual PC 7 is that "Microsoft has given this project exclusively to the Xbox team." Why would they do such a thing? "Because the next Xbox will include an IBM PowerPC 970, and current Xbox game developers are shipped G5 PowerMacs," says Geek.com. While not confirmed by Microsoft, it sounds like a much more plausible scenario than last week's Xbox 2-backward-compatiblity rumor, which had a Silicon Valley startup providing universal emulator middleware for the next-gen console.
    Second, according to Gamespot, the Xbox 2 GPU will be ready for Q1 2005:

Citing market sources, IT news Web site DigiTimes reports that ATI is prepared to "roll out" its Xbox 2 GPU, code-named the R500, in the first quarter of next year. According to the report, the R500 will be based on ATI's next-generation R520 desktop graphics processor, and semiconductor foundry TSMC will produce the chip using a 90nm manufacturing process.
    Now lets hope IBM will be able to roll out enough CPU's at that time.
    Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

What is meant by the first quarter of next year?

Comment

I assume it means sometime between january and april 2005.
      Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Backwards compatibility YES!

Hopefully it will work better than the current PS2 backwards compatibilty. Sure games run, but you can't play more than 2 players because the multi-taps aren't compatible. I was really dissappointed when I couldn't go 4 player Crash Team Racing on the PS2.
        "Luck's last match struck in the pouring down wind." - Chris Cornell, "Mindriot"

Comment

Originally posted by Verto
          What is meant by the first quarter of next year?
          Take a guess

Comment

Originally posted by BustaMike
            Backwards compatibility YES!
            I *MIGHT* get Morrowind finished then!

Comment

Wooo.. backwards compatibility .
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Very positive news. Makes me actually contemplate getting an x-box2

Comment

Getting another computer? No thanks, I have enough already.
                  Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                  I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                  Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Super!

Comment

Re: Xbox 2 news

Originally posted by nostromo
                      Now lets hope IBM will be able to roll out enough CPU's at that time.
                      I've been telling people this for months (or if not a year+), that the reason MS bought the VirtualPC software was obvious. Within a month they announced the purchase of Virtual PC (x86 emulation on PowerPC), and then announced Xbox2 would use PowerPC...wasn't rocket science.

Also, I would be surprised if the CPUs weren't done already. If it's just dual-core PowerPC 970s, that's rather trivial (seeing as dual-core PowerPC 970s minus altivec with a whole ****load of cache is called the "Power4" )
                      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Now the important question: HD-DVD or Blu-Ray?

Sony is pushing Blu-Ray and said it will be used by PS2, which means 60 million people will have Blu Ray players in their homes. They also purchased MGM, which alone owned IIRC ~4,000 titles. 20th Century Fox has just recently announced they will also be pushing Blu-Ray as the successor to DVD.

Comment

Also, I would be surprised if the CPUs weren't done already. If it's just dual-core PowerPC 970s, that's rather trivial (seeing as dual-core PowerPC 970s minus altivec with a whole ****load of cache is called the "Power4" )
                          Doesn't IBM have important yield problems for G5s?

Comment

Now the important question: HD-DVD or Blu-Ray?
                            Neither one, I think. Plain vanilla DVD.

Comment

Originally posted by nostromo

Neither one, I think. Plain vanilla DVD.
                              There would be little point in coming out when an Xbox2, then, since PS3, using Blu-ray, would boast games that could run circles around anything Microsoft had.

Blu-ray discs could have anywhere from 2x-10x as much storage space as current DVDs; Sony is also working on a lens that would be backwards compatible and read DVDs.

Comment

Working...
                              X