Rome: Total War is Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kassiopeia
    Carthage rocks. Lots of mobile units, makes for great battles. They lack an infantry heavy hitter as far as I can tell, but the missile and cavalry units more than make up in my book. Way better than those godawful phalanxes. ELEPHANTS
    Yeah, elephants rock.

Right now, I am trying a campaign as the Egyptians. I am doing very well but I have a question about chariots. What's the best way to use egyptian chariots? I don't think I am using them right. I know they are real good against light infantry and really bad against phalanxes.
    'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
    G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Comment

• IIRC chariots are good against ordinary cavalry too. I'd use them to harass and wipe out enemy infantry the same way I'd use cavalry, chariots are just more devastating than cav. But they should never get bogged down in hand-to-hand, they suck at that. Also, be wary of flame arrows, and yeah, spearmen are the kryptonite to charioteers. I think you could reasonably try to break up a phalanx from the business end using chariots, but you'd probably incur heavy losses. It'd work better than with any other unit though (save for artillery).
      Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

• these are superb tactics folks!

helps us geezers enjoy the game

keep 'em coming

Gramps
        Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

• I've developed a defensive strategy that will allow you to beat an enemy army of insurmountable odds in a battle for a city. It's really simple when you think about it, it's like the Spartans at Thermopylae - a small army beating a big one by allowing only a small chunk of the larger army to take it on in a small space, although of course the Spartans didn't actually win. But they did keep the Persians at bay long enough.

I discovered this by accident when having to defend a small town that had no walls at all. Although, when the city in question did get walls, because of a strange bug the gates are always breached even if I've repaired them. No matter, it only makes the battle go faster.

So instead of having the battle duked out on the walls, just put all your troops in the central square. Put infantry on the street the enemy is most likely to come through to the plaza. But only put one unit on harm's way; this is your "receiver". Put the receiver at the very end of the street, so that it's halfway to the plaza itself. Behind the receiver, place as many infantry units as you can fit. Behind them, any missile troops you have, and also any cavalry you have. A General is important to have in this situation too.

So, the enemy romps through the gate, and often barbarians like to storm through in a huge mass. If you have stone walls, the boiling oil can take out up to 30% of the enemy force alone!

Now the shaken force marches through the city right to your lap. As they approach, pummel them with missiles, but then hold their fire when they get really close.

Then they will charge at the 'receiver'. Send in your backup infantry immediately charging at the assault of the enemy, to create a shock effect of a huge mass pushing at the enemy. Now throw in your general to create more shock and to upkeep the morale of the receiver, and some cavalry to boot. (Not all cav if you have many units, you'll need some fresh cav soon.)

With the battle at the choke point intesifying, the huge concentrated mass of your troops will usually wear down the morale of the enemy. The AI will often throw in its general as well, and when he gets bogged down in this massive hoard of melee fighting, he most likely dies.

This will result, invariably with barbarians, in the charger unit of the enemy losing morale and routing. Now your infantry-cavalry mixture must run it down, and cause even more panic among the enemy as this huge tidal wave of armour and flesh crashes at them. By this time the battle is pretty much won, as you drive the panicking enemy soldiers out of the city. This is where the rest of your cavalry kicks in - send them out to utterly wipe out the routing enemy.

You will have lost only up to 10% of your men, the enemy army can be completely destroyed.

As the cherry on top, the escaping enemy has to flee through the breached front gate - and again if you have stone walls, the burning oil will kill a good chunk of them as they flee.

Playing Carthage I've driven out massive Gaul and Spanish hordes from Cordoba, with this tactic, using a rather meagre defensive force.
          Last edited by Kassiopeia; October 31, 2004, 14:25.
          Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

I've developed a defensive strategy that will allow you to beat an enemy army of insurmountable odds in a battle for a city. It's really simple when you think about it, it's like the Spartans at Thermopylae - a small army beating a big one by allowing only a small chunk of the larger army to take it on in a small space, although of course the Spartans didn't actually win. But they did keep the Persians at bay long enough.

I discovered this by accident when having to defend a small town that had no walls at all. Although, when the city in question did get walls, because of a strange bug the gates are always breached even if I've repaired them. No matter, it only makes the battle go faster.

So instead of having the battle duked out on the walls, just put all your troops in the central square. Put infantry on the street the enemy is most likely to come through to the plaza. But only put one unit on harm's way; this is your "receiver". Put the receiver at the very end of the street, so that it's halfway to the plaza itself. Behind the receiver, place as many infantry units as you can fit. Behind them, any missile troops you have, and also any cavalry you have. A General is important to have in this situation too.

So, the enemy romps through the gate, and often barbarians like to storm through in a huge mass. If you have stone walls, the boiling oil can take out up to 30% of the enemy force alone!

Now the shaken force marches through the city right to your lap. As they approach, pummel them with missiles, but then hold their fire when they get really close.

Then they will charge at the 'receiver'. Send in your backup infantry immediately charging at the assault of the enemy, to create a shock effect of a huge mass pushing at the enemy. Now throw in your general to create more shock and to upkeep the morale of the receiver, and some cavalry to boot. (Not all cav if you have many units, you'll need some fresh cav soon.)

With the battle at the choke point intesifying, the huge concentrated mass of your troops will usually wear down the morale of the enemy. The AI will often throw in its general as well, and when he gets bogged down in this massive hoard of melee fighting, he most likely dies.

This will result, invariably with barbarians, in the charger unit of the enemy losing morale and routing. Now your infantry-cavalry mixture must run it down, and cause even more panic among the enemy as this huge tidal wave of armour and flesh crashes at them. By this time the battle is pretty much won, as you drive the panicking enemy soldiers out of the city. This is where the rest of your cavalry kicks in - send them out to utterly wipe out the routing enemy.

You will have lost only up to 10% of your men, the enemy army can be completely destroyed.

As the cherry on top, the escaping enemy has to flee through the breached front gate - and again if you have stone walls, the burning oil will kill a good chunk of them as they flee.

Playing Carthage I've driven out massive Gaul and Spanish hordes from Cordoba, with this tactic, using a rather meagre defensive force.
            I used this strategy as well. In fact, I also used it playing the Carthaginians defending Cordoba against the Gauls. The strategy does work really well.
            'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"

Comment

• some how my pre battle speeches by the general have been disabled after i switched computers... and i can't find where to turn them back on any ideas?

Comment

• I got another question for the experts: what causes reinforcements to be delayed in a battle?

Comment

• As far as I can tell, it's entirely random. Only happened to me once.

Comment

• Originally posted by nesky
                    some how my pre battle speeches by the general have been disabled after i switched computers... and i can't find where to turn them back on any ideas?
                    Did you look at the speech vol control. Thats how I turn them off. Alternatively look in programs/activision/RTW/preferences (that may not be the exact address since I'm at work) Their should be an entry like

speech:TRUE.

I'll get back when I confirm the actual entry text.
                    We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                    If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                    Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

• I found that the key with phalanx units in a city assault is to not bother with the walls. Phalanx units are useless light inf. Avoid the gate, create a breach with sapping or knock em down with onagers then fight in the streets. As you noted before, pikes in the streets are very effective.
                      We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                      If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                      Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

• Oh yes, a phalanx marching on a street is devastating, on offence or defence. Nothing can get through.

Has anyone tried burning pigs for anything? I have yet to. I think an enemy of mine actually had a few of them, but they ended up damaging the enemy army more so than mine.

Comment

As far as I can tell, it's entirely random. Only happened to me once.
                          It has happened to me a lot.

Comment

• Of course I hardly ever bring in my own reinforcements, because the AI handling them is an utter idiot.

Comment

• I got the game last Saturday, and frankly don't remember the rest of the weekend (which even was prolongued by a catholic holiday - God bless Bavaria ), because I was busy trying it out. So far I love it very much. There are of course quite some issues that need to be patched (classic example being the bireme blocking a harbor and the huge AI fleet nearby doing nothing about it), but the game is still young. A very promising start, and I am looking forward to many hours of fun.

Comment

Oh yes, a phalanx marching on a street is devastating, on offence or defence. Nothing can get through.
                                I've had pretty good success with dogs backed up by missiles, but then its usually easy to at least partially flank the AI units.
                                To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                                H.Poincaré

Comment

Working...
                                X