Rome: Total War is Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SpencerH

Use the ram as a distraction. Take the walls, you dont need the gate. Once you have a piece of the wall its tower works for you. Repeat as necessary. The gate and its oil works the same way. Try retreating some troops through the gate, if they follow they'll become 'crispy critters'.
    very good bit of information

Thanks
    Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

• I hardly ever assault the gate of the stone walls and up. I usually use 2-3 onagers to break the wall and to silence the towers I dont want and, and one tower to take the walls and towers that I do want.
      We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
      If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
      Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

• Is there any way I can eliminate the enemy diplomats running around, beyond bribing them by other diplo's? I'm tired of them occassionally bribing my armies and units.

Comment

I hardly ever assault the gate of the stone walls and up. I usually use 2-3 onagers to break the wall and to silence the towers I dont want and, and one tower to take the walls and towers that I do want.
          Great information SpencerH..keep it coming

Comment

I hardly ever assault the gate of the stone walls and up. I usually use 2-3 onagers to break the wall and to silence the towers I dont want and, and one tower to take the walls and towers that I do want.
            What if all you have are rams and siege ladders?

By the way, how do sap points work?

Speaking of sieges, I hate the AI. I am attacking Syracuse as the Carthaginians. I have 2 armies, one with about 1000 men under my control and another army of 2000 under AI control. (Yeah, yeah, I know I should have controlled the army with 2000 before starting the assault). Anyway, the enemy sallies to meet my forces. I defeat the enemy army and the survivors run back into the city. Then my AI reinforcements arrive. And the idiotic AI assaults the city with no siege equipment at all. The entire army of 2000 just pretty much stands near the walls and does nothing while the enemy towers rain destruction down. I frickin lose the like 90% of the army before the timer runs out. If the AI had just waited, I would have had both armies to lay siege the next turn but instead I lose almost the entire army when I did not have to. Stupid AI! Argh!
            'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
            G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Comment

• move a unit to the sap point and they start burrowing to a portion of the city wall, which they destroy.

Comment

• Originally posted by asleepathewheel
                Is there any way I can eliminate the enemy diplomats running around, beyond bribing them by other diplo's? I'm tired of them occassionally bribing my armies and units.
                Assassins.
                "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• Originally posted by Guynemer

Assassins.
                  Until then, anything else? Does keeping either a diplomat or a spy in your army help matters?

I just had a decent sized army flip

Comment

• I lost an army with a family member too to the gauls, ***** traitor

I´m playing the Realism Mod 2.2 now, it´s a lot harder than the normal game, the war goes bad against them, if it wasn´t for SPQRs army I would have lost my capital Arretium
                    The Party seeks power entirely for its own sake. We are not interested in the good of others; we are interested solely in power. Not wealth or luxury or long life or happiness: only power, pure power.

Join Eventis, the land of spam and unspeakable horrors!

Comment

• Are non-family generals more susceptible to being traitors?

hmm...

Comment

• Yes, very much so. Try to use family members, especially those with traits that increase the bribing cost.
                        Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

• Originally posted by Unspeakable Horror
                          I´m playing the Realism Mod 2.2 now, it´s a lot harder than the normal game, the war goes bad against them, if it wasn´t for SPQRs army I would have lost my capital Arretium
                          Yes - the Realism mod is excellent.

First battle as the Julii vs. the Gauls I tried my same old vanilla game tactics. Result was my army routed and my faction leader was killed. It was the best loss I ever had in a game - totally expecting an easy victory only to get slaughtered due to my over-confidence.
                          "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
                          "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
                          "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

• Originally posted by asleepathewheel

Until then, anything else? Does keeping either a diplomat or a spy in your army help matters?

I just had a decent sized army flip
                            I'm pretty sure that keeping an assasin in your army helps reduce them being bribed. I do this all the time and haven't lost an army commanded by a captain to bribery yet.
                            signature not visible until patch comes out.

Comment

• Playing the Brutii is a real culture shock after the Scipii and Julii. Now its me with 500,000 talents in the bank bribing any enemy army I can't be bothered to fight. Temples that increase trade are marvellous
                              To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                              H.Poincaré

Comment

• Originally posted by Grumbold
                                Playing the Brutii is a real culture shock after the Scipii and Julii. Now its me with 500,000 talents in the bank bribing any enemy army I can't be bothered to fight. Temples that increase trade are marvellous
                                Thanks for the hint and insight..bribery .. thats the ticket

Comment

Working...
                                X