Rome: Total War is Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Flip McWho

Has anyone figured out how to influence the opinion of the public and the senate in any major way? The only way I've been able to use is just doing their missions, the people otoh I'm totally stumped in how to make them like me better.

Also I presume that once your faction gets 50 provinces thats when the senate calls for your leaders death?
    I was thinking it would be cool if you could respond by saying back at Rome, "Hmm..nice little province, I'll take it' and see whats the Roman Response then!

Gramps
    Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

• public response depands on how many regions you control i believe. Once you hit 30, you should be up to 7 symbols of public support which is what you need to take rome
      When the stars threw down their spears,
      and water'd heaven with their tears,
      Did he smile his work to see?
      Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Comment

• Loving this game.

Playing as the Scipii. I currently hold all of Sicily, modern-day Spain, Greece from Thessalia south, the entire west coast of Turkey, Crete, Rhodes, Palma, and now all of Africa save Thebes, plus I just added Jesualem and Phoenicia. So I now control all of the Wonders, and by controlling the Pyramids I can just buy up almost all of the remaining Egyptian territories without lifting a finger in battle or quelling unrest; pulling in about 30,000 gold a turn.

Of course, my popularity with the Senate is ****. The people, however, rate me a 9/10. I'm now massing forces in Sicily and Carthage and moving them into Italy for the battle that will soon be upon me. The Julii shouldn't be too difficult, as they have only managed to conquer northern Italy and southern Gaul; the Brutii, however, hold a wide swath of territory from northern Greece all the way to the Baltic and northern Germany.

My only other allies at the moment are the Thracians and the Pontites, and I'm not sure I can count on their support against the Brutii.
        "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
        "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• Ugh. My game with the gauls is broken. It keeps crashign while processing the turn.
          Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

• One function I would like included is the ability to decline to undertake a senate mission. Still get the popularity hit and all but instead of waiting the ten turns or so before it runs out to show your declining you could decline the moment it is offered. That way the senate can get over the missions that are not within your reach (like blockading a port more than 5 turns away from the nearest fleet you own, stupid senate) and offer you more realistic ones. Is it just me or do they only offer you one mission at a time?

I thought that to become imperator of rome you'd just have to have the 50 provinces (of course) and then just take Rome itself. Or do you actually have to conquer and destroy the other two Roman factions as well. It'll be interesting to play where another Roman faction gets outlawed before yours does.

Another quick question for the more intelligent than me. Where exactly do I find the option to make the unit scale huge? I looked all over in the custom battle area for this option but couldn't find it. I really wanna have huge ass battles.

Comment

• It's in the graphics options, under the options menu you access from the main menu.
              Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

• Just beat the imperial campaign as the Brutii... now I get to start another campaign at a harder difficulty level and with "large" unit sizes.

NOTE: it used the auto-detect to give me only medium unit sizes or whatever before I realized you could even change that... oh well, I discovered by playing custom battles that my computer still performs pretty well with "large" units even with all the options maxed out.

I'm looking forward to the tougher game and larger units.

I think I'll play as the Germans, just for kicks.
                Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
                Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
                7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

• I got my arse handed to me for the first time yesterday. One of my armies headed by a captain (600 or so men, mostly still principes/triari, some auxila, few archers and a couple of onagers) vs a similar size army of Egyptians. My lot started running as soon as the chariots came at them. i was hoping my frontline of triari with their spears would stand fast but they ran like little girls It was a sneak attack by the Egyptians so I hadn't built my army in Turkey much, concentrating on the the Gauls on the other side.

Rerouted a ship full of Legions, Praetorians Cohorts and Legionary Cavalry with siege engines towards the Egyptian capital though. Killing faction leaders seem to be a good way of beating people.

It's such a fun game sometimes

Comment

• One of my armies headed by a captain (600 or so men, mostly still principes/triari, some auxila, few archers and a couple of onagers)
                    No cavalry?

I did what I like to call "an oldtimer" to the SPQR. I drove a Brutii captain leading a unit of 30 archers next to Rome, then I attacked them head on with my best army and lo, the Roman defenders stormed out to the Brutii's aid. The entire Senate army was totally routed and destroyed, and I could walk in to an undefended Rome. Now I only need 12 more regions and I'm Imperator.
                    Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

• Bah true romans don't use a lot of cavalry I did have a few equites and missile cavalry, but half the egyptian's army consisted of missile chariots (especially after i'd flattened about 150 worth of his infantry with catapults.

Comment

• Originally posted by lightblue
                        Bah true romans don't use a lot of cavalry I did have a few equites and missile cavalry, but half the egyptian's army consisted of missile chariots (especially after i'd flattened about 150 worth of his infantry with catapults.
                        In one battle, I had an all cavalry army that completely crushed a Gaul army to pieces. The tactic was simple: just have them all charge in wedge formation from 2 or more different directions simultaneously. The enemy army was shredded and routed in about 0.5 seconds after contact.
                        'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
                        G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Comment

• I have two questions;

how do you get back to desktop from the game, im trying to take screenshots using paint ?? I have tried the windows key but it does not work.

how do you record battles I cant find any info in the manual and no way to record from in the game.
                          A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.

Comment

• Open Paint, then open the game. Once in the game, when you have paused and taken your screenie, hold down Alt and press Tab to switch into Paint. Then Ctrl V Paste, and you're away! Ready to trim or otherwise perfect your image, or return directly to the battle and search for more likely screenshots that will adequately display the valour of your troops and redound to the eternal glory of their commander!

Comment

• Thanks Duke o York that works

Any one know how to record battles ?
                              A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.

Comment

• You can't record battles in the campaign game.
                                "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
                                "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
                                "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

Working...
                                X