No announcement yet.

Rome: Total War is Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The big campaign is also FREAKIN' long. I feel like I've played for weeks (only a week really) but it's only 209 BC so far. Of course I play most battles by myself, but I should probably start using the autoresolve more often.
    Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

• For those of you that are sick of the killing and running speeds, check out these mods the guys over at the .org made.

Reduces running speed for infantry to a more realistic jog, and horse speeds to a trot(except when charging).

The other one reduces the melee killing speed by a factor of I think 10.

With these mods you can actually sit back and watch the battles, and even fight them out without having to pause every 5 secs.

Just remove RUN and KILL from the filenames and replace them with the files with the same names in the /Data folder(backup the originals first).

You don't have to restart your campaign for the changes to take effect.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Killing mod.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Wouldn't that nerf archers unless they gave them more ammunition to make up for the loss of firepower per shot?

Same with the effectiveness of legionaries' pila and other javelins...

Seems to me the kill mod would throw off the balance of the entire game. As for the run mod, I suppose that would be mixed.
          Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
          Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
          7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

• The run mod slows everyone down proportionally since its a terrain effect modifier rather than a unit mod. I'm not sure about the mechanism of the kill mod.
            We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
            If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
            Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

• Well it's melee killing speeds only. Killing speeds for arrows and javelins and everything else remains the same. As SpencerH, it also reduces it for everyone proportionally. Try it out.

On a side note, nothing beats plowing down a horde of screaming women with my legionnary cavalry.

I keep finding out some great stuff about this game, like the fact that you can zoom in and check out your cities in peacetime...they even have peasants walking around

Comment

• I can't wait to get this game. maybe next weekend...

Comment

• Finally managed to get my preordered copy yesterday. And all I have to say is...

WOW!!!

I've been busily pummeling the Greeks, Macedonians, Thracians, and Dacians as the Brutii, and I've recently relieved the overburdened people of Rome of their bothersome political freedom, and the game hasn't gotten old yet. The final battle I fought against the SPQR was just spectacular. They had a better general, and more heavy cavalry, and I had no spears at all. Needless to say, I lost a lot of men, and Rome was difficult to hold once I marched in.

The pre-battle speeches are a brilliant addition (especially when your general has some vice involving mental instability or bloodlust. I got one general babbling about how he yearns to bathe in the blood of his enemies and splatter their entrails or something along those lines). I also found the conservative natinalism of the words spoken in the intro cinematic of the Brutii to be hilarious (not unlike a certain couple of modern era nations I don't really need to name).

Though the AI of the other Roman factions doesn't seem to be quite up to scratch. The Julii only managed to conquer Liguria, Sardinia (which fell to Carthage a few times before the Julii retook it. They hold it by a tether) and Taraconenis, which they're barely holding by a tether under the weight of the Spanish and Gaul onslaught. The Scipii have been a bit more successful, conquering Sicily, Carthage, Byzacium and Tripolitania (all of the African provinces, they hold by a tether). Of course, this is my first game, so random factors may be affecting this.

All in all, it's a much better game than it's two predecessors. It has much more personality and the turn-based building element isn't so boring with the new style map. I really look forward to playing as some of the non-Roman factions.
                  "Corporation, n, An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." -- Ambrose Bierce
                  "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." -- Benjamin Franklin
                  "Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." -- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• will this run ok on my:

1.7ghz
                    768 800RDRAM
                    128mb Radeon 9200

Comment

• In my game the other Romans are expanding so much that I'm afraid I'll have to try to put a limit on it soon, the Scipii are kicking butt in Northern Egypt (although I do have Carthage) and the Brutii have fared well in eastern Balkans. I am spreading faster though, I have all of France and a nice chunk of Greece, and am fighting the Egyptians now in Turkey (!).
                      Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

• In my game, there's a disconnect. The Jullii were absolutely pathetic. They only managed to conquer Sardinia and were getting their butts handed to them by the Gauls in the Po Valley.

Meanwhile, the Scipii conquered Syracuse, Palma, part of Spain, and all of Northern Africa (both the Carthaginians and the Numidians), including all the way out to Libya.

Of course, that was before I conquered the Julii in two turns and got the Scipii down to only a few of their distant Saharan holdings in the ~5-8 turns after that (I'd been building up for the big blitz for a little bit before I launched it all simultaneously).
                        Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
                        Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
                        7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

• Well, I got lots to learn but really enjoy so far...
                          I think this is such an advance on the AOE:Conquerirs concept..

I applaud the game design, having never played any of the previous titles

Just wanted to share from a newbie it is great..

to quote the first post...INFORMATION OVERLOAD

Gramps
                          Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

• Yeah its great how they tell you everything, yet the game still flys bye. This is the first game in a while thats held my attention pretty well

Comment

• Originally posted by asleepathewheel
                              will this run ok on my:

1.7ghz
                              768 800RDRAM
                              128mb Radeon 9200
                              yes
                              We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                              If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                              Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

• thanks

Will try to get it next weekend after I get paid again. Can't wait to play it.

Comment

Working...
                                X