No announcement yet.

Favourite Forum Game (FG)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd be surprised if Mafia does not come out on top. It has the most players and is the most popular. I really can't get into hangman...it is too realtime for me.
    We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

Mafia is the only game I'm playing at the moment...
      This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Well I suppose I should post my own opinion on this topic.

- Mafia: I like this one because it doesn't have a 24 hour requirement and if I cannot vote on any given day it doesn't really matter, the game will continue without me. Also it doesn't require a lot of thought or logic ("brains off" as Kassiopia says it), good for getting lots of participants, simple to play. (Note: I haven't seen Assassins played, but it seems that it would have been similar to Mafia)

- Nascar: I have just completed my first game of this and enjoyed it, though not sure of the strategy of the game, I will wait this one out and reserve judgement until I have played at least one more game. (Note: I haven't seen Formula One played, but I assume it would have been similar to Nascar...though considering the Nascar tracks.......would Formula One have ovals )

- Nuclear War: Again, not a lot of strategy involved, more luck then anything, but more strategy then Mafia, especially in the later stages of the game. I have played this one twice and enjoyed it both times

- The Disease: I played in the first one and lost interest, I like the concept but didn't care for the game

- Hangman: I haven't played and not sure I will. This game seems great for someone who doesn't visit the forums on a regular basis as they can participate for a while or on occassion without committing to a longer game

- Name that Game: Like others have stated, I am out of my time on this game. I know very few of the games that are used and have little chance of guessing correctly (which is a good thing, because if I did guess correctly I would need to come up with a game nobody knows...which I doubt I could do)

- Gladitor: I like the concept and it sounds simple enough (attack / defence total 20, each of three rounds total 100) but I have had trouble following this one, I thought of joining the one just starting, but decided to watch the first one more closely and possibly participate in the next (assuming that I get it after watching that one play out).

- Galactic Overlord: I have been watching this one for a while, and have come up with different strategies in my head, and look forward to trying them out in the next game. It seems that this game is most along the lines of what kind of Game I would play, so I will definitely give it a try. I also look forward to Jamski variation on this game, I beleive with a Naval version

- Society: This one has my vote, and maybe I am biased because I just GM'd the last one, but I think it is the best by far (I think it is the only one similar to Civ in any way, and since Civ is what brought me to Apolyton, it only makes sense that a civ type of game would keep me here). The math and ruleset may have scared off some potential players, but I think it has simpified in the more recent versions

btw, Joncha...I deliberately made it a single choice poll to force the voters to pick their first choice, I like several too but wanted to get a clearer picture of the first choice

/me
        "Clearly I'm missing the thread some of where the NFL actually is." - Ben Kenobi on his NFL knowledge

Comment

I also look forward to Jamski variation on this game, I beleive with a Naval version
          Napoleonic Overlord isn't a "Jamski variation", GO is his creation as well
          Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

DMing the game was fun too, although it seems that some of the players didn't enjoy it as much as I did, essentially on account of the difficulty of the clues.
            duke o'york- but I loved the game you DMed, even though I wasn't playing. I don't see why people don't like story-based Mafia/Assassins games. That's the only reason I play them honestly- otherwise they're just there for the spam.

Sparrowhawk

Nuclear War: Again, not a lot of strategy involved, more luck then anything, but more strategy then Mafia, especially in the later stages of the game. I have played this one twice and enjoyed it both times
            Actually, there's a lot of strategy to this game. the only time there isn't strategy is when someone decides to randomly nuke people in the first few turns.

If you notice, I maneouvered myself to win the 2nd game I played and was still surviving when the 3rd was delayed, and in my 4th I was one of the last 3 nations left (I had 5 cities... If I hadn't bunkered the one turn I didn't need to- I'd have survived and defeated both enemies.)

Nuke war has strategy.

That being said, society is by far the best game on the boards.
            -->Visit CGN!
            -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

My vote goes for Nuclear War as my "brains off" game. While it requires some thought, it doesn't require much.

Galactic Overlord is a very close second - highly competitive and much more in-depth. Very fun.

And of course the game that started them all, Mafia, in at third place.
              I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

mafia, while it does take thinking, can be played without thinking.

nuclear war involves strategic maneouvering and planning.
                -->Visit CGN!
                -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Mafia!
                  Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                  I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                  Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Only played Mafia and Disease (once with assassins).

Had to vote Mafia though.
                    I'm not conceited, conceit is a fault and I have no faults...

Civ and WoW are my crack... just one... more... turn...

Comment

Originally posted by DarkCloud
                      Actually, there's a lot of strategy to this game. the only time there isn't strategy is when someone decides to randomly nuke people in the first few turns.

Comment

Society, in part because I started it, the reasons I enjoy it are the same as those I had for starting it.

Unlike other 'last-man-standing' games which led to everyone for themselves, I was interested in a game where ya had to cooperate to compete, and where most players would make it to the endgame. The trade model and the multiple victory conditions were devised for this end.

Galactic Overlord is also very enjoyable, though its easy to get eliminated before the interesting parts.

Nuclear War is easy, fast, and a great way to vent frustrations.
                        Visit First Cultural Industries
                        There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                        Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

There's not a great deal of strategy in NW DC, at least compared to GO and Gladiator. What there is is obvious payoffs to those willing to spend every turn PMing people, but that's not really strategy.

Comment

I prefer to use the other games fourm for real games.

Comment

I prefer to use it for both, thus getting the maximum benefit possible out of the forum. Hooray for me.
                              I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

I would have to say Mafia, WHY? Cause I started it and I am a little conceited from time to time.

Before you say anything though look at the first line of my sig, I am warning YOU!
                                Don't tell a twisted person he is twisted, he may take offence. (THAT MEANS ME!)
                                Founder of the Mafia Poly Series (THATS RIGHT I STARTED IT)
                                Nesing, come and see what its about in the Stories and Diplomacy threads.

Comment

Working...
                                X