No announcement yet.

UT2k4 thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well you are not alone in that! I should have made a clearer statement. Ironically, many within the FPS community felt that with UT2003 they were trying to emulate older brother by quakifying UT. The feel did shift that way a little (obviously still closer to UT than Quake), and it just wasn't right for UT. UT2004 is back to it's UT roots, which is probably for the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
      The welcome thing about UT2k4 is indeed that is playable as a team game. However, if I like the team playing part and not the DM part, I am more likely to play a game that has a team mode only. More rational.
      Well UT's Teamgame mode is REAL good. Better than some only teamplay based games (*coughcoughcounterstrike*). Especially because the game has unrealistic style of play like quake and has alot of features.

As to why I don't really like DM... *edit

okay thats ur preference/opinion/whatever, its all good.

That's the most boring modes in the game... and everybody I have talked to mostly agrees... 100% agree with bombing run being trash, 50% agrees on ctf being boring...

I know. I dunno why most UTers think that way. Well most people that think that way are mostly scrubs anyway (although some clan players feel that way too), but CTF at least gets some respect in clan games it deserves. Most scrubby pub players just wanna kill things and not think about what theyre doing, so i guess they tend to shy away from heavy team/strategy based modes and sticks to frag or vehicle modes. Ive Always Loved CTF, mainly because I started FPs in the quake1-TF1 era. And every FPS Ive played has CTF mode of some sort. I guess the translocator REALLY hurts the fun aspect in CTF because FCcant trans.... but I like it because it opens up alot of different options and makes UT CTF a lil different from rest.

At least in clan matches respect CTF mode to some degree, but Bombing run has "wont be played mode" written all over it. But once you play it and try to think about how you would play and come up with strategies it becomes fun. Of course, that is if you can get enough people good enough and thinking like you do. Otherwise you get bunch of idiots just fragging each other and kicking the ball and quickly gets boring.

Damn Ut bastards and being so obsessed with onslaught. quite annoying..
      :-p

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike
        Well between UT2003 and UT2004 isn't a great deal of difference obviously.
        Simply put: one gigantic balance change + new modes + vehicles. They could have made it an expansion.

However Quake and Unreal have always had vastly different DM feels. Yeah they share the fact that you move and shoot at people, but as soon as you get into the games more deeply they couldn't be less alike.
        mainly because UT has manuvers intentionally programmed for higher level purposes, such as dodge jump. I dont know if digonal dodge jump and lift jump is a glitch or not, but UT has more high level manuvers i think.

(quake is still better... )

Comment

Originally posted by Zero

That's the most boring modes in the game... and everybody I have talked to mostly agrees... 100% agree with bombing run being trash, 50% agrees on ctf being boring...

I know. I dunno why most UTers think that way. Well most people that think that way are mostly scrubs anyway (although some clan players feel that way too), but CTF at least gets some respect in clan games it deserves. Most scrubby pub players just wanna kill things and not think about what theyre doing, so i guess they tend to shy away from heavy team/strategy based modes and sticks to frag or vehicle modes. Ive Always Loved CTF, mainly because I started FPs in the quake1-TF1 era. And every FPS Ive played has CTF mode of some sort. I guess the translocator REALLY hurts the fun aspect in CTF because FCcant trans.... but I like it because it opens up alot of different options and makes UT CTF a lil different from rest.
          I remember there was a ctf mod for Halflife... As it was just released I loved it... I didn't play it much though, since I don't like to play team-games online... I prefer to play such games where you can shout at the other players (at LAN parties)... And since LAN parties are all about CS these days, I'm not going to those anymore...

So basicly there's two reasons why I don't play ctf anymore:
          1) Since I only has UT2k4 I can only use the maps avaliable there, and those are just awfull... and I don't feel like spending hours trying to find a good map online
          2) I don't know anybody who wants to play these games at LAN-parties...

Maybe if it wasn't because of those problems I would still like it... who knows...
          This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

(quake is still better... )
            IMHO Quake 2 is good, but not better... Quake 3 is just plain boring...

Comment

Originally posted by Adagio

IMHO Quake 2 is good, but not better... Quake 3 is just plain boring...
              If you are talking MP you are of course insane.

Comment

Both MP and SP... not that the SP was that good, but compared to Q3 there actually was some SP that wasn't just plain annoying...

And I know several people who have it the same way

Comment

Q3 was never meant to be about SP at all. The only fair way to judge is Q2 versus Q3 MP and virtually no one prefers Q2. 95% of serious players anyway.........amongst newer players many like Q2 because it's slower and easier to play.

Comment

Quake players that prefer Q2 also happens to be UT players. Or SP players.

I prefer Q3, but thats cause I was a Quake player before becoming semi UT player... I prefer the Quake1-like playstyle much more over Q2.

1) Since I only has UT2k4 I can only use the maps avaliable there, and those are just awfull... and I don't feel like spending hours trying to find a good map online
                    2) I don't know anybody who wants to play these games at LAN-parties...

1) UT maps arent bad at all. You just need to observe how you would play the maps a bit to get it.

2) I never have problem 2. But if you do you can always play in clan games.

Comment

CTF is a pretty fun mode. It does combine the teamplay and DM-style very well, although CTF experience greatly depends on maps - these need a clever design.
                      Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                      I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

heres a real big question.

Leave the TL in the base and go offense or use the TL the penetrate into enemy flag faster? I dont see many people doing the latter option. Is the benefit of added defense by having TL in the base outweigh this in your opinion?

Comment

TL is more suited to offense though.

Comment

1) UT maps arent bad at all. You just need to observe how you would play the maps a bit to get it.
                            I'm not talking about the actual design of the map, but how they look... I don't like this metallic look of the maps, which is why my favorite maps are crazy maps like this Christmas map...

I wish there were a map like the one included in Sin:
                            The map was basicly just one room... with lots of doors and stairs... if you go into one door, you'll end up walking on one of the walls, or maybe even the ceiling...
                            They had something simlular to this in Serious Sam 2...

Comment

I like the UT2k4 instagib. It's got a good feeling to it, unlike the UT2k3 insta, that sucked.

The normal weapons might be nice to people who like the genre, but except for the shock core and sniper they just don't seem that attractive to me.

When I fire at an enemy (bot or human) they jump away, and when I try to predict where they are going to jump they just stay standing still, it's so frustrating. I've played a compo at a LAN last weekend though against good players and in 1v1 I can do okay, in open maps (idoma) so you can use the sniper pretty easily, it's almost the only weapon I like to use anyway
                              "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                              "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

Originally posted by Trajanus
                                When I fire at an enemy (bot or human) they jump away, and when I try to predict where they are going to jump they just stay standing still, it's so frustrating. I've played a compo at a LAN last weekend though against good players and in 1v1 I can do okay, in open maps (idoma) so you can use the sniper pretty easily, it's almost the only weapon I like to use anyway
                                It's just practice, play more.

1v1 is not the way to start, it's for those who have mastered the game. It's slow and boring for new players. Jump into a FFA online and you'll improve faster.

Comment

Working...
                                X