UT2k4 thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UT2k4 thread

does anyone play UT. Does anyone play in clans. what mode do u play on multiplayer. What UT forums do you vist etc etc.
    :-p

why, you want to get whacked?
    "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
    "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

Well, it's a fun game, but there's a general problem for me with similar shooters.

Team based, I rather prefer fully team-based games such as Enemy Territory. Whereas pure DM frag-and-whack somehow won't appeal to me. I played some of it in quake 3, and got bored quickly. Dunno why, but DM in shooters bores me - maybe because I'm not too good, but it's probably just because I like team-based and objective-based shooters more.

But I got to give UT2k4 credit for a nice selection of weapons, and a good onslaught mode.
      Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
      I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Onslaught is terrific.
        "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
        "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
          Well, it's a fun game, but there's a general problem for me with similar shooters.

Team based, I rather prefer fully team-based games such as Enemy Territory. Whereas pure DM frag-and-whack somehow won't appeal to me. I played some of it in quake 3, and got bored quickly. Dunno why, but DM in shooters bores me - maybe because I'm not too good, but it's probably just because I like team-based and objective-based shooters more.

But I got to give UT2k4 credit for a nice selection of weapons, and a good onslaught mode.
          If you dont like DM, then well. I dunno wat to say. Thats preference I guess.

What I dont understand is how that has anything to do with UT2K4, since ur not forced to play DM. In fact, I find it annoying that onslaught, a very team bsed game, is almost too popular to a point where everyone is obsessed with it and can't seem to pay attention too much to my other two favorite modes, CTF and Bombing run... and those arent that "frag-and-whack" either as you put it.

Comment

Originally posted by Trajanus
            why, you want to get whacked?
            huh?

I thought there were some UT players in poly. MattH used to play it and talk about it all the time IIRC. Anyways let me answer some of my own questions. Ive been playing UT2k4 for couple of months now. Finally gave into it after playing q3 for so long. I like CTF (q3... obviously), I like how translocators put a different spin in the strategy even though I know most people don't like it. I also like bombing runs cause its also very strategic and like everyone else I play onslaught. I gotta say though I suck at vehicle stuff so my contribution to the team is very limited when it comes to onslaught.

2 forums i check are provinggrounds ladder and UT's official website, but they dont seem to have much technical details about the game. (I wanna figure out how game caculates things such as damage dealt, but most of the time they dont share stuff like that)

Comment

I got UT2K4, but don't really play much. All I've been playing lately is Splinter Cell PT on Xbox live and Painkiller on PC.
              "Luck's last match struck in the pouring down wind." - Chris Cornell, "Mindriot"

Comment

I dabble, but I usually stop playing fast since it's galling to lose to noobs after being so good at Quake3.

I considered playing it more, but I don't want to invest too much time with Doom3 around the corner. That's probably got more of a Quake feel.

Comment

I used to play it, but haven't touched any fps game a month or two...

Usually I played DM, Onslaught and ocasionally that mission based game (From the first UT)

But for the last two weeks before I stopped playing I only played that special Christmas map... and some times I played with the RPG mod...

The only thing that annoys me with UT2k4 is the maps... the standard maps are not just boring, but extremely boring... I prefer crazy maps as this Christmas map and the bath map (from UT), but they're diffecult to find... I found both maps on a site, but only one of them was downloadable
                  This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Zero
                    (...) my other two favorite modes, CTF and Bombing run (...)

That's the most boring modes in the game... and everybody I have talked to mostly agrees... 100% agree with bombing run being trash, 50% agrees on ctf being boring...

Comment

I was never a big fan of CTF in Quake3 either, TDM was better. I haven't tried Bombing run yet.

Comment

The welcome thing about UT2k4 is indeed that is playable as a team game. However, if I like the team playing part and not the DM part, I am more likely to play a game that has a team mode only. More rational.

As to why I don't really like DM. As said, it bores me a bit with its repetitiveness (more repetitive than team games for sure), and I can't honestly see much difference between DM games, be it Quake3, UT2k3 or UT2k4.
                        Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                        I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Well between UT2003 and UT2004 isn't a great deal of difference obviously.

However Quake and Unreal have always had vastly different DM feels. Yeah they share the fact that you move and shoot at people, but as soon as you get into the games more deeply they couldn't be less alike.

One of the reasons that both have prospered on the hardcore FPS circuit (both appearing in ESWC and WCG and other big tourneys for many years) is that they are so different.

Comment

I like UT2k4 a lot. I pretty much just play Onslaught, but sometimes I'm in the mood for a good old fashioned deathmatch.

The one thing I HATE is the long ridiculously long loading time between levels. Once the level loads completely the game runs fine, but I hate the waiting!

I'm assuming that is just how the game is since I get good performance in game. Anybody here not have those long loads? If so, what is your system specs?

I have P4 2.53 512 RAM, ATI RADEON 9800.

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike
                              Well between UT2003 and UT2004 isn't a great deal of difference obviously.
                              Actually there is... I can't explain it, but for some reason I just couldn't get into UT2k3... it just didn't 'feel right'... while both UT and UT2k4 'felt right'

Comment

Working...
                              X