Over the years,name your 3 'WOW' games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Over the years,name your 3 'WOW' games

This is for us oldies, name 3 games, one each from the 80's, 90's and 00's that the first time you played it you went 'WOW'!

80's - 3D Ant Attack - Sinclair Spectrum (Timex 2000 in the USA?)

90's - Doom - PSX (I didn't have a PC at the time! )

00's - RON - PC (and this was a push, maybe I'm getting harder to impress)

This isn't about being the best in a given decade (ie. Doom wasn't the best FPS of the 90's) , just what floated your boat at a given time!

Beach Head II

Red Alert II

Operation Flashpoint
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
    Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

80s - Dizzy
      90s - Civ
      00s - Warcraft3

Comment

I played civ more than any other game, but I didn't have a 'wow' moment when opening it for the first time.
        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?

Comment

'tis a fair point.

90s - Quake3 would also work.

Comment

Originally posted by alva
            I played civ more than any other game, but I didn't have a 'wow' moment when opening it for the first time.
            Civ 1 I feel as alva - I didn't "wow" when I started playing it, but I played it, and played it, and played it. It's kinda an accumulated wow.

Emperor of the Fading Suns - Civ played across a universe of three dozen planets.

Thief 2 -- that is, once someone on this site clued me into turning up the ambient light so I could see what was going on. A first-person sneaker -- what an idea!

Pirates The most addictive game I've played.

Sentinel Worlds I: Futrue Magic - I've waited in vain for Sentinel Worlds II.

Starflight - A space exploration, trading, adventure game.

Star Wars: Dark Forces -- The first game in which I actually felt frightened by what was going on.

Let's see, is that three??

Comment

80's I was young, and wasn't fully capable of understanding all the games I played, but I played them anyways.

Wasteland and Bard's Tale stand out the most. Although I didn't really play that much of Bard's Tale. I played Bard's Tale 2 more.

games like Bruce Lee and Mission Impossible I played a lot of. Same with Jumpman jr.

90's: Civ2- duh!. Other games that rate high are Fallout 1 and 2, and Crusador: No remorse. honorable mention to SMAC. But honestly, even though the gameplay is excellent. It didn't wow me like Civ2 because the gameplay is so similar to civ2.

00's:. Baldur's Gate 2 (which I played before Baldur's Gate 1). honorable mentions to NWN, and KOTOR.

Comment

Maybe I should explain my choices too:

Beach head 2: IIRC it was one of the first games to have multiple and completely different set-ups and the great voice-overs when the soldiers died.
                In fact there was quite a big row about it.

RA2: the first time I saw video being used in a game.

OFP : the sheer brilliant atmospere is what made this game what it was; spooky!!!
                I really felt as if I was 'alone in the woods' (<--- title of one of the SP levels )

Comment

awww, crap. How can I forget the game that wowed me almost as much as civ2.

X-com: UFO defense (or whatever it was called)

This game definately wowed me. I loved it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
                    awww, crap. How can I forget the game that wowed me almost as much as civ2.

X-com: UFO defense (or whatever it was called)

This game definately wowed me. I loved it.
                    yep, I had that on my Amiga 1200, great game, the downside was that I had no hard drive (can you beleive it?) and it came on 4 disks, so every time you went into battle the screen came up 'Please insert disc 1'. Ah, those were the days!

Comment

80's- Moraff's World
                      (Dungeons and Dragons ripoff on the DOS. )

90's- Civilization I (first played 1992) (released 91/92)
                      [Not so much a wow, as an introduction- Civ II was definately a wow, but without Civ I I would never have found civ II]

Age of Empires
                      Amazing!

00's- Heroes of Might and Magic III (first played 2002) (released 2000)
                      (Baldurs gate, as the first good D&D game in about 10 years , merits inclusion here)
                      Last edited by DarkCloud; June 26, 2004, 10:18.
                      -->Visit CGN!
                      -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

In more or less chronological order... (going by when I played them, not by their release)

Master of Orion 2

X-Com: Terror From the Deep. (I played it before UFO Defense)

Everquest (It was my first MMOG, and I still feel nostalgic desires to play it every now and then despite knowing full well it's complete crap.)

Deus Ex

Commandos 2

Thief 2

Hearts of Iron.

Medieval Total War

Silent Storm
                        Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

80s: The Hobbit (Commodore64)
                          90s: Commander Keen 4 (486), and then Civ2 after getting a decent PC
                          00s: N/A.
                          Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                          "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
                            80s: The Hobbit (Commodore64)
                            90s: Commander Keen 4 (486), and then Civ2 after getting a decent PC
                            00s: N/A.
                            I hear ya on the N/A for the 00's, the Hobbit was a good 'un though!

Some people seem to be struggling with the concept of '3 games'?

Comment

80s...er...don't remember any..Crystal Caves was fun...don't know if i went wow over it though

90s Definitely Fallout, the first RPG i ever played, loved the character creation, loved the conversation, loved the multiple ending, loved the graphics...loved pretty much everything about it.

00s Hmm, Hitman if the year is correct. Never was into FPS games, but the original gameplay definitely made me go WOW
                              <Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
                              Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!

Comment

Working...
                              X