No announcement yet.

Locomotion AkA Transport Tycoon 2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I agree. Long train routes are the quickest way to complete a scenario. In the manual it says its best to start with bus or tram passenger routes to get steady early profit then build up as you go, but its just a waste of time IMO. Find a long, flat, cargo heavy train route to start (and there usually is at least one) and youre flying.
    Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
    CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
    One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

• Yeah, cargo hauling trains are still the big money makers.
      Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

• I will try that.

In the first scenaro, I was making most the money from trucks and buses, and the train network I had going got me next to nothing. Trucks were carrying the same cargo as the trains. But the train station never had the steel to take to the next plant, while the trucks cargo depot had plenty. I probably just didn't have enough trains giving a steady supply or coal and iron to the plant.

Comment

• Interesting. 1 train and later a second, plus 3 buses, and the scenario was over in 1 year 7 months. I am going to keep playing this land for a while to test stuff out!

Comment

• I think a few trams can make as much as cargo trains but you have to lay the track loop early around a city, then the city grows around it and you can start running a lot of trams on that loop and get 200+ passengers on each station sometimes. In one scenario ive got 30 trams taking £35,000 month profit. Comparing the cost of a tram route to the price of a train route, trains are probably still better but you need more ready cash to get train routes up and running.
            Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)

Comment

• My impressions so far:
              I agree that trams are the way to go at the very beginning: Early money-makers. I really don't like the RCT-style track-laying. I miss depots. The "hide forground scenery" function is buggy; it only transparentizes the stuff in the lower half of the screen. I really, really don't like the menus openning by simply moving the mouse cursor over them.

Overall, this game is not TT3, but I don't hate it either. It's different than its predecessor, but I'm warming to it nonetheless. I have confidence that if not in the form of official expansion packs, then the modding community while easily address problems in this game.
              The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

• Originally posted by DRoseDARs

Overall, this game is not TT3, but I don't hate it either. It's different than its predecessor, but I'm warming to it nonetheless. I have confidence that if not in the form of official expansion packs, then the modding community while easily address problems in this game.
                The thing about the modding community is that they've already invested a **** load of work in Transport Tycoon, and from what I understand they generally aren't all too happy with Locomotion. Most of them will probably stick to modding TT.
                Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

• The "hide forground scenery" function is buggy; it only transparentizes the stuff in the lower half of the screen.
                  This is what its meant to do, so you can quickly move the screen to see rather than having to turn it on an off all the time.

As for it being a sequel to TT, it probably isnt to me and i dont think Chris Sawyer ever wanted it to be, with the title "Locomotion". There are little touches missing that make it a complete experience, like shares, subsidies and what would it take for private cars on roads etc. To me it just feels like RCT with busses and planes but ive enjoyed it nonetheless.

Comment

• Originally posted by General Ludd
                    Here's an example of how I build my tracks, if you want to look at it. I have 9 trains servicing 3 stations, all rather smoothly.

In that save I have just recently expanded to a tripple rail track, because there was way too much congestion with just 2 tracks, especially with that long hill climb right before the tunnel.
                    does this game have passing sidings? Thats how real world railroads tend to handle issues like this. They dont just go from a one track RR to a two track RR - they increase the number of passing sidings, until it reaches a point where its worth connecting and upgrading them (passing sidings being built for slower speeds than main line). Ditto when a two track line is congested.
                    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Working...
                    X