• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheers.
    Attached Files
    XBox Live: VovanSim
    xbox.com (login required)
    Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
    Spore page

Comment

Originally posted by General Ludd
      I can't help be skeptical of a game that quotes IGN - who gave Master of Orion 3 a 9.2 - as saying "This is one re-make that won't disapoint!"
      Excellent point.
      signature not visible until patch comes out.

Comment

Well the initial thoughts having seen the trailor are that it does look very Disney-esque, which kinda doesn't sit 100% comfortably on my shoulders with my fond memmory of the origonal.

The origonal game also did have 'cartoon' type graphics of the main characters/locals you visited. But somehow that never got in the way as the historical aspect was done so nicely, all the info on Pirates that actualy lived, timelines and the scenarios etc.

So in a way apart from looking pretty damn nice the graphics never got in the way of making it feel like you 'really were' a famous pirate from the 15th century.

My intial impression of the - what? 20 secs of footage, is that the cartoon element has come to the fore.

Is it a good or bad thing? Not sure, but just from looking at it i get the impresion i'm in a disney movie, rather than in the 15th century.

The game does look very nice though, and faced with the reality of being a Pirate in the 15th century - i'd probably beg Mr.Disney(tm) to help me out of it
        'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

Another thought is that just because its cartoonish, doesn't mean it wont make a good pirate experience - look at the Monkey Island games, maybe the coolest pirate games made?
          I wonder if the team have seen the game 'Cutthroats'(published by Eidos a few years ago). It was basically a Pirate rip off - attempted to do everything Pirates did but better, yet somehow wasn't as engaging as the origonal we all love?

I guess i'm just hoping that the fact that it is going for the cartoon look, doesn't mean its dumbing down. The core of Pirates gameplay was just so perfect it would be a shame to change it for the percieved shift in market trends.
          'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Comment

Here's hoping that the game is as fun to play as the first one!
            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Amen to that! We can only wait and see.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy the Scot
                thanks Vovan

* Paddy the Scot pours two whiskeys and passes one to Vovan
                The cherry wood finish is my favourite
                To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                H.Poincaré

Comment

ahh nothing like a good Pirates game to get the weekend going....

now just need the damsels....
                  Attached Files
                  Gurka 17, People of the Valley
                  I am of the Horde.

Comment

So, I watched the miniature trailer. It seems like they keept to some of the basic ideas of the old game. But a few doubts come into mind. Some of the trailer reminded me of one of the biggest waste of hardware space there has ever been - the sims. But perhaps that's only me, all that graphics is really confusing me. Do we really need that? I don't remember that I needed graphics back in the old days (even if it was a great improvement when I upgrades from the c64 cassette to disc version and got a chance to see the (un)fair lady I married).

As Pirates! is my all time favorite game, I'm 99 % certain the game will be a huge dissapointement.

PS. Thanks a lot Paddy, now I got saliva inside the keyboard again.

Comment

Didn you guys try Pirates of teh Carribean, I had heard it was great, and wanted to rent it, but it sort of got passed over last time, b/c I wanted to watch FIght Club instead.
                      Lysistrata: It comes down to this: Only we women can save Greece.
                      Kalonike: Only we women? Poor Greece!

Comment

Pirates of the Carribian is a nice film. Nothing profound, it's like a fun matinée kind of film.

Comment

Originally posted by Kropotkin
                          So, I watched the miniature trailer. It seems like they keept to some of the basic ideas of the old game. But a few doubts come into mind. Some of the trailer reminded me of one of the biggest waste of hardware space there has ever been - the sims. But perhaps that's only me, all that graphics is really confusing me. Do we really need that? I don't remember that I needed graphics back in the old days (even if it was a great improvement when I upgrades from the c64 cassette to disc version and got a chance to see the (un)fair lady I married).

As Pirates! is my all time favorite game, I'm 99 % certain the game will be a huge dissapointement.

PS. Thanks a lot Paddy, now I got saliva inside the keyboard again.
                          sorry about the keyboard old chap

Pirates was so much fun...

heres hoping it just gets better
                          Gurka 17, People of the Valley
                          I am of the Horde.

Comment

Originally posted by Kropotkin
                            edit.....

...edit
                            I guess this is the problem all developers face when coming up with sequels to real classic games.
                            Sid managed to do it with Civ(as in Civ2) so i'm hopeing the same happens here.
                            I dont think the shift to a '3D' world means a bad thing here, the actual game world of pirates and how the player percieves it, could work really well in this enviroment.
                            I guess what we all are worried about is if it gets in the way or gets complete precedence over the gameplay(as is the case of many 3D sequels).
                            Still the impression i get from the trailer is that ok it doesn't look like the Pirates that we all love, BUT it does actualy look quite fun - and there's nothing wrong with that.
                            I'll keep my fingers crossed untill we get more info.

Comment

The sword fights is indeed in need of improvements. The old games fights would hardly interest today's players. Hopefully Sid can manage to take the good parts from fighting games and add a reasonable amount of Errol Flynn-feeling to it without turning it into something unrealistic.

I'm affraid there's a risk that they overdo the 3D part of it all, keep it simple when possible is my motto when it comes to computer games.

Comment

Originally posted by bipolarbear
                                Didn you guys try Pirates of teh Carribean, I had heard it was great, and wanted to rent it, but it sort of got passed over last time, b/c I wanted to watch FIght Club instead.

Not much to come for there...
                                I've played the game, but it wasn't that much interesting for several reasons:

1) The fighting was always the same: Jump in, hit, jump out... you didn't really have any options...

2) When sailing between islands, you see a huge map of everything, and lots of ships (and I mean LOTS of ships)...

2a) The time goes fast (IIRC 1 sec = 1 day), so you don't have time to consider where to go, you just 'go'

2b) There's too many ships... and those ships just appears/dissapears randomly (in the middle of the ocean)

2c) On the map you often see 2 ships fighting each other... considering the fast time, 2 ships can battle for months

3) When fighting (ship vs ship) you can teleport: When sailing normally they have put in an option to quick-jump to other places on the island (teleport to harbor, other side of island, or whereever you want)... this can be used in a fight, where you teleport from one side of the enemy ship to another... thereby you can use all your cannons on the same ship

The bottom line: Too unrealistic to be fun...
                                This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Working...
                                X