MoM comparison game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sore Loser
    I agree with bakalov, though I wouldn't call any of this cheating.
    That was my only gripe.
    If you like to ride your bike backwards and handless, you're welcome. But don't call "cheater" any normal biker then.
    I don't exactly know what I mean by that, but I mean it (Holden Caulfield)

Comment

You know, it's been a fascinating experience to play this, since I have never even won on hard before, much less impossible, and I got to win this one. took me about twice as long as most of you, but I still won.

This was a chance to use a lot of those tricks I've heard about over the time we've been discussing MOM on these forums. I think it was the discussions at apolyton in the Other Games forum that induced me to obtain this great game.

We'll have to do it again sometime, I think. Maybe without such pretty access to adamantium right off. Then again, without that, I may not have won.
      Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
      ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Comment

Originally posted by Sore Loser
        I agree with bakalov, though I wouldn't call any of this cheating. It's a question of game balance. Most games that aren't periodically rebalanced will have a number of over-powered strategies that dumb the game down after a while because it reduces the number of decisions made. I don't really distinguish between actual loopholes and mere spoilers, because the result is the same: Less challenges, less decisions to be made.

In MoM, this includes:

- 11 of any kind of spellbook (especially Life, IMO)
        - The chaff attack, as described above (with or without Mana Leak)
        - Creating hordes of any good missile unit
        - Using Magic Spirits for exploration
        - Choosing Rune Master and Artificer (even without recycling)
        I actually like using these strategies. it allows me to be like a god. I suppose I like playing less for the challenge and more for being powerful enough to play like I want. that's why I don't play on the higher levels that much.

Another one I like is:

-choosing conjuror and sorcery mastery (or nature, or chaos mastery) to be able to summon units in battle for cheap.
        Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
        ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Comment

Father Beast, if you get Sorcery Mastery and Conjurer, and then if you are lucky enough to obtain 13 Sorcery books, then you will be able to summon for free (i.e. zero mana) not only in combat but overland too. You can summon as much sky drakes as you want. Still you will have to pay mana to support them, but if they dissipate you can just re-summon them :-)
          Against stupidity the very gods themselves contend in vain.

Comment

I gotta try that... I imagine there's lots of reloading at the nodes to try and get a book?

-Jam
            1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
            That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
            Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
            Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Father Beast - I'd like to play another game like this, since I learned a lot playing the first one. I think it would be better if someone else set up the game, since I generally stick with the same spell picks, retorts, and races. Of course, I'm not really a very experienced player and might not be very successful if taken outside my comfort zone...

Edit: but please, not a Runemaster/Aritificer game! I've never been able to finish one of those; I quickly lose patience with creating and breaking magic items every turn.
              Last edited by DaveV; September 29, 2003, 08:35.

Comment

If you want something totally different try DDDD/Infernal Power/Myrran/Archmage/Alchemy with Trolls. If you want you can switch the Archmage and/or the Alchemy for books from the other realms.

Comment

bakalov - I've never played with any death books. From a strictly personal morality point of view, I'd rather be fighting against demons than summoning them.

Comment

If we play life again, then we will have a game that will be very similar to the first one. But if you insist try
                    LLLL Myrran Warlord Archmage +1 whatever you want, and take dwarves. May choose healing instead of endurance - heroism and just cause remain.

Death offers a different and more magical play style ... Anyway , it is you who will decide. I personally play death rarely.

Comment

Working...
                    X