Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Or a canal linking you to a river and the sea

Or a aqueduct to your city then irrigate from there
    "Every time I learn something new it pushes some old stuff out of my brain" Homer Jay Simpson
    The BIG MC making ctp2 a much unsafer place.
    Visit the big mc’s website

Comment

We definitely need canals to allow movement for ships across land. If anyone has looked at a map of Belgium, it has almost more canals than roads. Parts of England are almost as bad.

The thing is that they didn't get popular until the Industrial Revolution. It poses a bit of a problem since it would have to be a tile improvement like a railway. But would the AI allow us to have a land tile that allows boat movement ? Otherwise it would simply be another road.

The other problem is with irrigation and that currently we don't need to have a water source. The way the AI handles tile improvements doesn't suggest it's setup to handle a restriction like needing water.

The need for specific resources to build certain units would be a great addition since it would make for interesting unit builds. Imagine if there wasn't an iron age and we were still using bronze for everything. The Chinese would have been ruling most of the world since they had unbelievably good bronzeworking by around 1500 BC. Some of the modern artistic work in Europe wasn't as good until the late 1800's.

D.
      "Not the cry, but the flight of the wild duck,
      leads the flock to fly and follow"

- Chinese Proverb

Comment

Canals really should be there. Expecially on istms.
        I often create cities just to be able to pass ships from one ocean to another.

Bridges over one sqare would be interesting too.
        "Respect the gods, but have as little to do with them as possible." - Confucius
        "Give nothing to gods and expect nothing from them." - my motto

Comment

Originally posted by Gen.Dragolen
          We definitely need canals to allow movement for ships across land.
          It poses a bit of a problem since it would have to be a tile improvement like a railway. But would the AI allow us to have a land tile that allows boat movement?
          The under-sea tunnel allows land units to cross water tiles, so we should be able to do the opposite.

Originally posted by Mihai
          Canals really should be there. Expecially on istms.
          I often create cities just to be able to pass ships from one ocean to another.

I agree
          ·Circuit·Boi·wannabe·
          "Evil reptilian kitten-eater from another planet."
          Call to Power 2 Source Code Project 2005.06.28 Apolyton Edition

Comment

I got to get the graphics together but i am having a hard time getting back into moding after my course has finished.
            "Every time I learn something new it pushes some old stuff out of my brain" Homer Jay Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by Mihai
              That would represent immense bridges, and I think they would have a similar tech requirement to undersea tunnels, which can do the same job...

Comment

I dont think bridges should be visible on earth size maps, i think a road over a river suits this enough. Maybe some penalty for crossing a river without a road ala *cough* civ3 would represent a bridge.

Canals are different, maybe they can move ships along, but cannot engage in any battle along a canal? So the canal is only used for movement, for example building battleships in a massive production land-locked city and moving them down. Dont know how realistic that is though.
                Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
                CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
                One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

Sounds realistic some ship yards are up river they sometimes build ships an sail them down rivers.

Comment

Originally posted by Maquiladora
                    I dont think bridges should be visible on earth size maps, i think a road over a river suits this enough. Maybe some penalty for crossing a river without a road ala *cough* civ3 would represent a bridge.
                    The one tile bridge would represent large modern structures like the bridge between Denmark and Norway or between New Brunswick and PEI here in Canada.

The civ3 penalty for crossing a river is also a good idea.
                    ·Circuit·Boi·wannabe·
                    "Evil reptilian kitten-eater from another planet."
                    Call to Power 2 Source Code Project 2005.06.28 Apolyton Edition

Comment

Flinx will you be willing to do the code for canals and navigable rivers. Is so any graphics I do will not be sitting around long so I will have some motivation.

Comment

The C3 penalty is that you don't get the road bonus until you discover Engineering.

Comment

Originally posted by Flinx
                          The one tile bridge would represent large modern structures like the bridge between Denmark and Norway or between New Brunswick and PEI here in Canada.
                          The bridge you might think about goes between Sweden and Denmark. http://osb.oeresundsbron.dk/frontpage/?lang=1

I solved the problem in "vanilla" CTP2 by allowing undersea tunnels in beaches with Mass Transit.
                          The difference between industrial society and information society:
                          In an industrial society you take a shower when you have come home from work.
                          In an information society you take a shower before leaving for work.

Comment

nice optimizer.

speaking of variety for tile imps. I notice that Activision had farms for all terrains occur at the same advance. Wouldn't be better to vary it (like farms on desert appear in modern times etc)
                            Formerly known as "E" on Apolyton

See me at Civfanatics.com

Comment

Working...
                            X