PROJECT: The Translation Center

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tamerlin
    I don't think we should depart from the word gold or treasury because the first is a game term and because the second one is perhaps the only one that will be associated with gold or money by everybody.
    As Martin mentioned he wanted to add some flavour to the game and for this I agree.

adding your suggestion on top:

IMO we have much more freedom with the titles given to the player according to the current government:

Examples:

- "Prime Secretary" (of the party), "Father of the People" or "Enlightened Guide" would be appropriate for Communism.

- "General Coordinator" could apply to the Corporate Republic

- "Great Lemur" or "Gaia's messenger" would be OK for an Ecotopia.
    will make it even better

I (personally) never liked that whatever you are as a government you always use the same title and name for gold and so on, why shall we not change it? It gives at least for me a better 'feeling'.

For the game perspective (to program it), this is for Martin and others to find out

Comment

Originally posted by drulius
      But is CURRENCY_ the right prefix? Shouldn't it be TREASURY_?
      The only problem is that it doesn't work with a prefix it must be a postfix.

Then you can replace it in the text with:

{government[0].name#CURRENCY}

So something like this:

NoMoreGoldM "Herr, die {government[0].name#CURRENCY}
      sind erschöpft."

The string table should look like this:

ANARCHY_CURRENCY "Reserven an gehortetem Gold"
      TYRANNY_CURRENCY "Reichsgoldreserven"
      MONARCHY_CURRENCY "Reichsgoldreserven"
      THEOCRACY_CURRENCY "Absolutionsgoldreserven"
      COMMUNISM_CURRENCY "Volksgoldreserven"
      FASCISM_CURRENCY "Reichsgoldreserven"
      REPUBLIC_CURRENCY "Bundesgoldreserven"
      DEMOCRACY_CURRENCY "Bundesgoldreserven"
      CORPORATE_REPUBLIC_CURRENCY "Hansegoldreserven"
      ECOTOPIA_CURRENCY "Ökoreperationsreservern"
      TECHNOCRACY_CURRENCY "Egoldreserven"
      VIRTUAL_DEMOCRACY_CURRENCY "Egoldreserven"

I had to modify the first entry to correct the grammar, and to prevent the sentence from a break.

Now the government array has to be filled to do this insert into the slic code that calls the message box the in front of the Message function.

government[0] = player[0].government;

Note that this doesn't work when player[0] is not filled, so you have to fill it before. Otherwise use the player variable that is used to call the message box.

And a second note you need our lastest playtest build to do it like this.

-Martin
      Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

So the money part we can already include ??????????

Sounds good

Any chance for the title as well?

And me thinks:

The table you proposed looks good. Except that we have two doubles

What about for Monarchy: Königliche Goldreserven

Comment

COMMUNISM_CURRENCY "Keingoldreserven"

Can't resist .
          Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
          I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

{government[0].name#CURRENCY}
            What I meant was currency means the actual physical money, coins and bills. In this case currency would seem to be making government specific names for gold. If it was {government[0].name#TREASURY} it would be more semantically related to the string that is actually being replaced.

Tamerlin,
            I agree, I think my suggestions were too over the top for a general Apolyton Edition, but having the option for scenarios and stuff could make for some colorful alternate universes...

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
              COMMUNISM_CURRENCY "Keingoldreserven"

Can't resist .

Comment

Tamerlin,
                I agree, I think my suggestions were too over the top for a general Apolyton Edition, but having the option for scenarios and stuff could make for some colorful alternate universes...
                Not sure, why you find it so much over the top sounds still decent to me.......

Comment

Originally posted by Gilgamensch
                  So the money part we can already include ??????????
                  Not quite, I just discovered a copy and paste error by me. Therefore player[0].government; doesn't work as expected, of course there are other ways to get the GovernmentDB index, but that shouldn't be a problem to fix the mistake, I just want to add more.

-Martin
                  Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

...but having the option for scenarios and stuff could make for some colorful alternate universes...

I agree with you, scenarios allow much more leeway.

Gilgamensch, I do not agree with you about gold, though it would add some flavor this is a game term and my experience as a former game translator tells me it is bad to change such things.
                    "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Some strings that need changing:

str_ldl_CREDITS "Credits"
                      str_ldl_LOAD_GAME "Load Game"
                      str_ldl_MULTIPLAYER "Network Game"
                      str_ldl_NEW_GAME "New Game"
                      str_ldl_OPTIONS "Options"
                      str_ldl_PLAY_TUTORIAL "Tutorial"

(meaning of all but MULTIPLAYER remains unchanged, but they should be made lower case)
                      Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Perhaps am I tired but I don't understand why these strings need to be changed or even how they could be...
                        "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

In that case, just tell me the translation of "Network Game" and I'll do the rest .

But seriously, these are the strings on the buttons on the main menu screen, and used to all be in CAPITALS, whereas some other strings were in lower case, but we've decided that it looks better when they are all in lower case. Don't worry about that too much, however, because I've done all the case changes myself already (and in fact, most of the French strings were in lower case already).

The other change is that the button which used to say "MULTIPLAYER" should now say "Network Game" because that's more logical and consistent.

I've just realised that we still have a problem, however, because the titles "SINGLE PLAYER" and "MULTIPLAYER" on the screen in question are in the picture, rather than being drawn on top as strings, so they can't be translated...

Comment

Originally posted by J Bytheway
                            In that case, just tell me the translation of "Network Game" and I'll do the rest .
                            The accurate translation of "Network Game" is "Jeu en Réseau", but these words are generally used for LAN games in France (as opposed to a "Partie Multijoueurs" - Multiplayer Game) and it could confuse some users.

"Network Game" could alternatively be translated as "Mode Multijoueurs".

But seriously, these are the strings on the buttons on the main menu screen, and used to all be in CAPITALS, whereas some other strings were in lower case, but we've decided that it looks better when they are all in lower case. Don't worry about that too much, however, because I've done all the case changes myself already (and in fact, most of the French strings were in lower case already).

The other change is that the button which used to say "MULTIPLAYER" should now say "Network Game" because that's more logical and consistent.
                            Thanks for the explanation J Bytheway...

Comment

Network Game = Netzwerk Spiel in German. Don't know though if it's regularly used - I'm more used to seeing Mehrspieler, which stands for Multiplayer, but Netzwerk Spiel should be fine.
                              Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                              I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Originally posted by Tamerlin
                                The accurate translation of "Network Game" is "Jeu en Réseau", but these words are generally used for LAN games in France (as opposed to a "Partie Multijoueurs" - Multiplayer Game) and it could confuse some users.
                                Yes, we have the same problem in English - there is no term which covers both LAN and Internet games, but excludes hotseat and PBEM. Network Game was the best we could come up with...

Comment

Working...
                                X